Sign in to follow this  
dj88

Texans appear to be focusing on Williams, not Bush

this would be such a bad decision. The new Courtney Brown. Ive seen enough footage of Williams, and I dont understand how they could even think of making this decision.

its a smoke screen to get Bushs' people to get a deal done PRIOR to the draft..

nothing more

From profootballtalk...

MARIO TO HOUSTON A "DONE DEAL"

LAST UPDATED 6:39 p.m. EDT, April 28, 2006

RUMOR MILL: Texans tell Segal that they're drafting, signing Williams

So if the Texans do draft Williams... Do the Saints take Bush???

No. They trade the #2 to Green Bay for Javon Walker and the #5. Then Green Bay selects Bush.

OK...dream over.

From profootballtalk.com:

A league source tells us that the Houston Texans have informed Joel Segal, the agent for Reggie Bush, that the team has a "done deal" with defensive end Mario Williams.

The only question at this point, as the source explained, is whether the Texans are simply making a last-ditch effort to squeeze Segal into taking a more friendly deal.

If this isn't just a marketing ploy, it represents a stunning turn of events. On Thursday, we heard that Bush was a "done deal." And even though the team denied it, another source told us that the team's interest in Williams was merely a smokescreen, aimed at leveraging Bush into wanting less money.

If, in the end, the Texans pass on Bush, the question is whether the team decided to make the move based on merit, money, or mischief. Our guess is that it's a mixture of all three, and that the most recent round of ugly news reports regarding Reggie, his family, and the dudes of New Era was the thing that made the Texans decide to move on.

Still, we've re-confirmed that, earlier in the week, the Texans' interest in Williams arose solely from their desire to drive down Bush's price tag, and that the Texans viewed Williams as the guy whom Bush's camp would most likely regard as a legitimate alternative. So if the Texans have indeed locked on to Mario, it represents a complete 180 from their earlier position.

We're still chasing this on. For now, this has got to be the craziest run up to the draft that we've ever seen.

if i'm bush and his agent, i call the texans bluff on this one. bush is going to get him money no matter who he plays for.

actually, i'm pissed if i'm bush. it's a rather transparent attempt to get bush to sign more cheaply.

bush should get in front of a mic in houston tonight and say "well, people of houston...i was really looking forward to playing here. man, this was gonig to be fun. but i guess it isn't to be..."

its a smoke screen to get Bushs' people to get a deal done PRIOR to the draft..

nothing more

dont you think that they would want to keep him unsigned in hopes that some team finally caves and trades up for him?

while it is unlikely they may be able to find middle ground somewheres and get a good package, maybe with high picks in nexts years draft

if i were running the Texans it would make sense like this still knowing that the negotiations for Bush or Williams are far enough along that if the make the pick whoever it is they will have them signed and in camp on time

So let's say Houston doesn't draft Bush. Who takes him then?

I don't see how the Jets or Packers could pass on him, and I think he'd be extremely tempting for the Saints or Titans as well.

So let's say Houston doesn't draft Bush. Who takes him then?

NFL Network just went to commercial saying Houston has, in fact, signed Maio Williams. Details coming I would guess.

If the signing of Williams is official, the first piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. Now GB just needs to complete a deal with NO to grab that #2 pick.

I don't see how the Jets or Packers could pass on him, and I think he'd be extremely tempting for the Saints or Titans as well.

if the Texans pass then it would seem like the Saints would be asking for the same type of trade that Houston was asking since it is for the same player

yeah it is one spot difference but it would still command a huge price tag

doubt NWO would pass either, Deuce has been pretty solid when he plays but it remains to be seen if they can rely on him full time from injuries and incosistent play(maybe just cause of Brooks though)