Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Oakland Raiders

Who?

With Jean-Giles, Scott, and Watson available ...

My thoughts exactly. I was pulling for Jean-Gilles. Maybe Sims and Walker can both play guard. :P

a tackle for the 3rd rd , just described as a "poor mans logan mankins" by sirius :P

NFL.com says "guard" rather than tackle.

They also say stuff like "lacks the quick feet, agility and flexibility to adjust and block well on the move" and "he can be driven back into the quarterback's lap too easily" and "he does not have the agility or athleticism to consistently react quick enough to what he sees".

NFL.com says "guard" rather than tackle.

They also say stuff like "lacks the quick feet, agility and flexibility to adjust and block well on the move" and "he can be driven back into the quarterback's lap too easily" and "he does not have the agility or athleticism to consistently react quick enough to what he sees".

Well, they say a lot of good things about him too. He is the opposite of Huff and Howard, not a great athlete relative to his position but big, strong, and a good technician, and with a mean streak, according to his profile. Glad to see he's a guard rather than a tackle, almost forgot about our need at OG but that's definitely a big need position. Whereas at tackle I felt like the way to go was to try to get a stud, or not bother.

nfldraftcountdown rates him as a mid-rounder at OT. So he could be a reach. But they also say this: "One of the better sleeper prospects in the entire draft and a guy who scouts really like...An excellent developmental guy." http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...lmcquistan.html

Well, they say a lot of good things about him too. He is the opposite of Huff and Howard, not a great athlete relative to his position but big, strong, and a good technician, and with a mean streak, according to his profile. Glad to see he's a guard rather than a tackle, almost forgot about our need at OG but that's definitely a big need position. Whereas at tackle I felt like the way to go was to try to get a stud, or not bother.

nfldraftcountdown rates him as a mid-rounder at OT. So he could be a reach. But they also say this: "One of the better sleeper prospects in the entire draft and a guy who scouts really like...An excellent developmental guy." http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...lmcquistan.html

I'm tired of developmental guys.... we need solid players. They don't have to be studs, but solid players would be a novelty.

Still need a DT and several worth taking remain, IMO. This is out last pick until the 6th, so it's gotta count for a lot.

Wow, had the balls to take Huff over Leinart.

Very good job. :lol:

I agree - this fills a much more important hole. Brooks will be servicable and this is a vote of confidence in Walter.

I love this pick for the Raiders. I really was looking forward to them taking Leinart so they could suck for another year, but Huff will be a starter out of the gate and should make an impact.

And one thing about Huff...he'll never have to cover Randy Moss.

:banana:

Expect another one of these :mad: for Oakland after this year. They had a very nice draft.

I'm here in Colorado visting my folks and just geting a chance to chime in now after semi followng draft via radio.

Last year i remeber being extremly disapponted in what we did but this year quite a different story.

No flashy picks, just solid picks at each spot, filling the many holes we have. (slight disappointment Demeco Ryans didnt fall in 2nd but fine with Howard).

As for all the predraf talk of trading up for Young or going with Leinart its nevr been Al's style to trade up...likes to trade down an horsedeal (okay...arse rape) for more picks.

Also, as I've said many times, Al has always lived and died by the vet qb for bette or worse...something that was reinforcedd when we did go with qb in 1st rnd and why I wouldn't see Al do it again.

Two words: Marc Wilson.

Walters may get a shot (if we start to tank, actually like to see) but thnk they're actually fine with Brooks for a couple years.

Expect Shell to return to long ball with lots of work for Jordan, setting up for deep play action to Moss/Porter/others.

Much will depend on OL (hoping Shell can infuse some aggresiveness and disclipine with this group), but if Brooks can return to form of few years bck, could see 3600/27/15, putting right about his carer rating of 80 (okay its like 79.8 I think, but you get pictre) and offense will be jsut fine.

Adding Huff/Howard to personal group I like of burgess/clark/sweigert/brayton(back at DE I hope) step in right direction for defnese.

Also, as I've said many times, Al has always lived and died by the vet qb for bette or worse...something that was reinforcedd when we did go with qb in 1st rnd and why I wouldn't see Al do it again.

Two words: Marc Wilson.

I really cannot understand this Viewpoint by Davis, its like saying Cincy should never have picked Carson Palmer because of thier experiences with Jack Thompson, Dave Klingler or Akili Smith . if a potential franchise QB (Cutler) is there , go for it, Huff might be solid pro, will he be an Ed Reed/Roy Williams type of difference maker though? He fockin better be for the 7th pick.

I would have preferred Cutler and come back for say Daniel Bullocks in rd 2 if safety was such a priority.

Day 2 targets

DT- Gabe Watson/Roderique Wright/Orien Harris if we can

A developmental QB ( not Vick) hopefully someone like Brett Elliott, Ingle Martin ,or Shockley

Backup RB for Lamont , Fargas is like bone china,maybe someone like Mike Bell

4-101 Darnell Bing , but they announced him as a LB, can he make the switch, Dont really get this pick esp with DT's still on the board. :cheers:

Hrm...wonder if he's related to Chandler. :banana:

I really cannot understand this Viewpoint by Davis, its like saying Cincy should never have picked Carson Palmer because of thier experiences with Jack Thompson, Dave Klingler or Akili Smith . if a potential franchise QB (Cutler) is there , go for it, Huff might be solid pro, will he be an Ed Reed/Roy Williams type of difference maker though? He fockin better be for the 7th pick.

I would have preferred Cutler and come back for say Daniel Bullocks in rd 2 if safety was such a priority.

Day 2 targets

DT- Gabe Watson/Roderique Wright/Orien Harris if we can

A developmental QB ( not Vick) hopefully someone like Brett Elliott, Ingle Martin ,or Shockley

Backup RB for Lamont , Fargas is like bone china,maybe someone like Mike Bell

Not saying I agree IT...just pointing it out.

Let's face it...there's alot Al does we fans don't get and/or don't agree with.

I like Cutler too, but Al and Art may have a plan in mind with Walters, who I think could be a solid NFL qb.

Agree with DT and names you mentioned in this order for me: watson/harris/wright.

With what's left behind Jordan being old and/or brittle, Bell sounds good...I'd add Leon Washington who despite limited PT think could be a good fit in same role behind Jordan.

4-101 Darnell Bing , but they announced him as a LB, can he make the switch, Dont really get this pick esp with DT's still on the board. :cheers:

Have to put on some lbs IMO to make the switch...looks like Shell and co. looking at revamping that LB corp (frickin finally...that's what I wanted to do last year) or looking at being more aggresive in secondary should he stay in position.

Not saying I agree IT...just pointing it out.

Let's face it...there's alot Al does we fans don't get and/or don't agree with.

I like Cutler too, but Al and Art may have a plan in mind with Walters, who I think could be a solid NFL qb.

Agree with DT and names you mentioned in this order for me: watson/harris/wright.

With what's left behind Jordan being old and/or brittle, Bell sounds good...I'd add Leon Washington who despite limited PT think could be a good fit in same role behind Jordan.

Have to put on some lbs IMO to make the switch...looks like Shell and co. looking at revamping that LB corp (frickin finally...that's what I wanted to do last year) or looking at being more aggresive in secondary should he stay in position.

Bing is already over 220, so he's just about there as a linebacker. I think it's a great pick, he's a hitter and has good speed for a linebacker. He'll be perfect in covering the TE.

Bing is already over 220, so he's just about there as a linebacker. I think it's a great pick, he's a hitter and has good speed for a linebacker. He'll be perfect in covering the TE.

We already drafted two guys (Huff and Howard) who are adept at covering the TE.

That said, I love the Bing pick if he's a safety as he would answer this question:

So, is [Huff] best-suited as a FS perhaps? Currently what we have is: FS Stuart Schweigert, recent draft pick who started most of last year and has pretty good speed and coverage skills; SS Derrick Gibson, former first round draft pick who can't stay healthy; FS Jarrod Cooper who sucks even on special teams; DB Chris Carr, undersized and fast, maybe more useful as a CB than a S. I'm torn here, I hate to keep Schweigert out of the lineup, but if we go Huff/Schweigert then we don't have any presence with an 8th man in the box. <_<

With Bing as a 3rd/4th safety along with what we have, we can get a legit SS/FS mix with Gibson/Huff or Bing/Huff (when Gibson gets hurt), or in obvious passing situations we can go Huff/Schweigert, or in obvious run situations we could maybe walk Huff out at CB and go Gibson/Bing or Gibson/Schweigert at safety Also, if we put Huff/Bing out there and we'd have flexibility in terms of disguising the defense since either guy could cover the TE. I like it, I like it a lot. ;)

Just wonder if the Raiders are thinking the same thing I am (because usually they aren't).

I don't like Bing as a linebacker as his scouting report knocked his run support and block-shedding, and that was rating him as a safety where the expectations for these things are not as high as a linebacker.

Bing is 6'2" and 227 with a 4.53 40'. He's got the height to be able to add the extra weight, I have to hope. Maybe not quick enough to play much safety, so OLB could make some sense.

Still, the DT position needs help. <_<

Sounds like a great SS body to me. :bench: They were saying Howard at 6'3" 240 is a little undersized so Bing has quite a way to go I would think, especially if we want to put him opposite Howard and still stop the run. :blink: SS typically don't have to be RB-quick, a lot of guys succeed at that position by playing up front and disrupting the offense, without having great coverage or deep zone ability, just as long as the team keeps him out of FS-like situations. I guess we'll see what they try to do with him.

As for the DT need, I am not fretting it too much at this point. We had way too many needs to address them all, and we've made 4/4 need picks to this point IMO. DT is a position where I think we could really use a great player for the future (post-Sapp) but not as much of an immediate need as some of these other positions. We have one solid starter in Sapp, and we have several guys (Moore, Kelly, Sands, Hawthorne) that I do want to see on the field and get a chance to develop. As long as Sapp stays healthy I am ok with our rotation. I can't say that about Cooper/Carr at safety, Badger/etc at guard, or anybody we had on the roster at OLB. If we come out of this draft with pretty good players and none of them are DTs, I am ok with that.

:jerk:

oki'mdonenow, ahhhh

As for the DT need, I am not fretting it too much at this point. We had way too many needs to address them all, and we've made 4/4 need picks to this point IMO. DT is a position where I think we could really use a great player for the future (post-Sapp) but not as much of an immediate need as some of these other positions. We have one solid starter in Sapp, and we have several guys (Moore, Kelly, Sands, Hawthorne) that I do want to see on the field and get a chance to develop. As long as Sapp stays healthy I am ok with our rotation. I can't say that about Cooper/Carr at safety, Badger/etc at guard, or anybody we had on the roster at OLB. If we come out of this draft with pretty good players and none of them are DTs, I am ok with that.

As long as pretty good talent is available at DT, I'd still like to see it addressed. With Harris and Watson gone since the Bing selection, maybe that "pretty good talent" comment no longer applies. Rodrique Wright remains available, so I'd like to see him picked in the 6th. Jonathan Lewis was also rated decently. Otherwise, I'd like to see a 7th used on the biggest guy available and then see if some coaching up can make him into a player.

I also wouldn't mind a FB. Zach Crockett is no longer affordable.

I can live with Bing - he's prolly one of the best SS's that was available in this draft and if they feel a need to make a OLB out of him then there's a need there too. Good pick in the 4th, considering. But Sapp will be too expensive to keep beyond this season and Washington is already gone - which is why we mentioned Ngata in the 1st.

I agree about fullback. I don't think John Paul Foschi is a long-term solution there. Crockett has never been a great blocker at FB either. Late rounds are a good place to address FB.

I don't think Sapp is going to be too expensive to keep next year. Here are his base salaries from nflpa.org:

2006 4500000.00

2007 4800000.00

2008 5150000.00

2009 5000000.00

2010 6000000.00

If he can still play, we can keep paying him. He's 33 years old and not a space-eater like Washington, though, so he may be on his last legs sooner rather than later. But I don't think we need to reach . I agree with you about Wright, though, I'd like to see that pick, not sure why he's still there. Could be this year's Hawthorne. :mad:

I'd just as soon try to coach up the young DTs we have as miss opportunities elsewhere to coach up new young DTs. As for just grabbing the biggest guy available for this purpose, we have three DTs bigger than Wright on the roster right now (Sands, Moore, Hawthorne). I'm not sure we have much coaching for our DLs anyway. About the only place I like our coaching is OL (which could be a good thing for the McQuistan pick).

Rather than become a broken record, I'll just say :thumbsup:

Kevin Boothe

Listed as tackle on the nfl.com page, but guard on the espn one

"Boothe was a very frustrating player to grade because an offensive tackle with his natural athleticism, strength and competitiveness should be a dominant blocker at Cornell, but his technique is so bad that he consistently was beaten and his man made/disrupted a lot of plays."

WTF

Dont know how promising it sounds to have a guy get "consistantly beaten "at division 1-AA level . :blink:

Another " Project" but as mentioned before, at least Shell knows something about offensive linemen so I have high hopes :thumbsup:

What's with these G/Ts? Are we just not sure whether OG or OT is the bigger need? :thumbsup:

"Boothe" is ideal to spend a season or two on the practice squad to try and develop his ability, but the reality is that there's doubt he will ever develop into anything more than a backup offensive lineman who struggles to be anything more than the ninth or 10th lineman on a team.

:blink: Although, there may be doubt that he ever becomes competent... but based on his profile, if he does figure out the technique, it sounds like he has all the athleticism to be a good player. So like Ignition Technition said, hopefully Shell can make that happen.

Raiders OTC again, pick #214

Raiders OTC again, pick #214

Rod Wright???

Nope. Chris Morris, C from Michigan State.

Art sure wants a new line... :unsure:

Consistently rated as day 1 pick. Short but big. 6.1 309 out of VT with good athleticism. Rated the 5th-best DT by nfldraftcountdown.com, ahead of Wright (#6)

But we picked Chris Morris of Michigan State, didn't we?

Consistently rated as day 1 pick. Short but big. 6.1 309 out of VT with good athleticism. Rated the 5th-best DT by nfldraftcountdown.com, ahead of Wright (#6)

The tracker says that Lewis was picked by Arizona in the 6th...

:unsure:

Yeah crap I didn't realize I was looking at Arizona's picks, and was in too big of a hurry to post.

Maybe we can trade drafts with the Cardinals. :unsure:

The tracker says that Lewis was picked by Arizona in the 6th...

:D

I was :unsure: when he came off the board right after our pick.

Still, Rod Wright could be Mr. Irrelevant. Or the fullback. I :pray: for either of those.

Still, Rod Wright could be Mr. Irrelevant.

Not anymore.

Damn.

Would've been perfect for tracking Dayne. Slow, fat, lacking focus...

Oh well

:P He's taller and weighs less than Ngata while being just a bit quicker.

Also, he wouldn't have been called on to start - just rotate in when someone bigger get tired.

galt, who do you like at FB? Sorry if you mentioned it earlier and I missed it.

galt, who do you like at FB? Sorry if you mentioned it earlier and I missed it.

I'm no expert on the position, but something about Brandon Jones (Purdue) interests me:

SUMMARY

Jones is a "tweener," who played mostly running back at Purdue, but he lacks the foot quickness, explosiveness, elusiveness and playing speed to be a productive NFL running back. He has the size and strength teams want in a fullback, but he lacks experience as a lead blocker and needs to become more consistent and aggressive on lead blocks. He is a good athlete for a fullback with the quick feet, agility and balance to adjust and block well on the move. For a fullback, he has the athleticism and strength to be a good inside runner and has the strength to be a punishing lead blocker if he learns to block more aggressively. He brings the added dimensions of being able to catch passes very well out of the backfield and of being a versatile special teams player, like he was at Purdue. Overall, teams will always be hesitant to draft a player who was primarily a backup player in college, but someone should definitely sign him as a priority free agent. Jones will need a season or two as a backup fullback, while he improves his technique and becomes more consistent as a lead blocker, but all the tools are there for him to eventually become a starting fullback, if he develops his ability into on-field production.

With the hope that Coach Shell can impact the blocking comments.

All the others are similar in that blocking isn't what it should be. Matt Bernstein might be an exception, but he's also slower than his linemen. Yet Bernstein might be more ready to play blocking back right now.

So, dunno.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This guy seems to be an even better choice than the guys I listed above. So I'll say Naufahu Tahi (BYU).

I'm no expert on the position, but something about Brandon Jones (Purdue) interests me:

With the hope that Coach Shell can impact the blocking comments.

All the others are similar in that blocking isn't what it should be. Matt Bernstein might be an exception, but he's also slower than his linemen. Yet Bernstein might be more ready to play blocking back right now.

So, dunno.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This guy seems to be an even better choice than the guys I listed above. So I'll say Naufahu Tahi (BYU).

Here's hoping we select Sir Henry Anderson as Mr. Irrellevant! :banana: