Sign in to follow this  
LSUtiger

Jeff Faine, Center

The Saints and Browns swapped centers this offseason. With Faine being a former first rounder just 2 years ago, how was his play and why was he so easily discarded by CLE? Bentley simply wanted out of N.O. and wanted to return to CLE (his hometown).

My question to for you: Should we be excited about getting Faine for virtually nothing? He seems like a solid pickup...

Faine is a pretty mediocre center. On the plus side he has a lot of spirit and is tough for his size, and has fairly good technique. On the minus side the guy is like 280lbs and gets manhandled against any large NT/DT. If you look at tape from our game against Oakland last year you'll see that he's on the ground on like 75% of the plays. Also he's ended every season on the IR. He's also mishandled a fair amount of snaps in his time. The bottom line is that he's way too small to be playing center. Don't expect a level of play anywhere near LeCharles Bentley. We expected around a 4th-6th for him so being able to move up to take Jackson seems like a pretty good deal to Browns fans.

Well not to poop in your cereal their pal but LeCharles Bentley is nowhere near the talent the NFL "experts" on ESPN talk him up to be. While he may be an improvement over Faine, he hasn't played up to his ability and for one thing, you guys grossly overpaid for his services. Paying a center that much money is ludicrous.

Faine is a pretty mediocre center. On the plus side he has a lot of spirit and is tough for his size, and has fairly good technique. On the minus side the guy is like 280lbs and gets manhandled against any large NT/DT. If you look at tape from our game against Oakland last year you'll see that he's on the ground on like 75% of the plays. Also he's ended every season on the IR. He's also mishandled a fair amount of snaps in his time. The bottom line is that he's way too small to be playing center. Don't expect a level of play anywhere near LeCharles Bentley. We expected around a 4th-6th for him so being able to move up to take Jackson seems like a pretty good deal to Browns fans.

This is pretty much spot on.

Faine is play hard, work hard, good team guy. The rumor was that he's ultra healthy nutty, and that's part of the reason he can't put on much weight- like he won't eat meat or something like that. He hasn't played a full season, injuries are always a concern, but he's young, he can probably get better.

I don't debate that the Browns overpaid for a center, I've heard discussion on that... but I've only heard one group of people say that LeCharles isn't that good, and they're NO fans; I can't help but think ya'll have the sour grapes. Also, when you have a bunch of salary crap room, and you need O-lineman, you go and get the best one. I'd rather give him a bunch of money this year when they have the room then have to cut people later to afford decent FA's. Alsoagain, when you have a really crappy center, you begin to appreciate just how important they are.

but I've only heard one group of people say that LeCharles isn't that good, and they're NO fans; I can't help but think ya'll have the sour grapes.

How bad must NO be to cause someone to actually long for Cleveland? :shocking:

I would equate being cut or traded by Cleveland to being asked to play rigth field on youtr church's softball team... :shocking:

I'm not a Browns "homer" but something is fishy with Faine.....I thought he was a pretty good player but teams don't just give up on young lineman unless they think they can't play.....I would say buyer beware here.

I'm not a Browns "homer" but something is fishy with Faine.....I thought he was a pretty good player but teams don't just give up on young lineman unless they think they can't play.....I would say buyer beware here.

ITA

Saints fan here. Didn't like Bentley leaving but he wanted out of NO so nobody was expecting him back. My opinion of Bentley is that he's a good (not great) center but is one of the best guards in the league. Unfortunately for the Saints and now the Browns, Bentley has no interest in playing guard.

Don't get me wrong . . . the Browns are set at center for years to come but Bentley is not playing his best position.

Thanks for the insight on Faine. I was high on him when he was coming out of Notre Dame and was hoping the Saints would pick him but he's had a dissapointing NFL career. Maybe the food in NO will help him put some weight on so he can stay healthy.

Thanks for the insight on Faine. I was high on him when he was coming out of Notre Dame and was hoping the Saints would pick him but he's had a dissapointing NFL career. Maybe the food in NO will help him put some weight on so he can stay healthy.

And the bacteria from the contaminated water supply will give him the squirts to counteract any weight gain. :blink:

Browns homer here...Faine stinks.

Honestly, he's serviceable but not worth the # 1 rd pick. You can do alot better, which the Browns did (Bentley.)

ITA

The only way I could possibly agree more is if it said "cheese is good" at the end of the post.