Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

Question about home air conditioning...

I think that we need a bigger air conditioner.

We replaced our shake roof with comp about two years ago, and it seems that our house NEVAH cools down in the summer when the A/C is on. If I keep it at 78 degrees, the focker is on CONSTANTLY and might not get below 83 on really HOT days.

How do I figure out if we need a bigger unit (hee hee)? HVAC people - can they determine the size unit needed for our house?

Thanks.

We replaced our shake roof with comp about two years ago, and it seems that our house NEVAH cools down in the summer when the A/C is on. If I keep it at 78 degrees, the focker is on CONSTANTLY and might not get below 83 on really HOT days.

How do I figure out if we need a bigger unit (hee hee)? HVAC people - can they determine the size unit needed for our house?

Thanks.

A-1 Appliance Heating and Air

He's local in Folsom and a real nice / honest guy.. :(

Cool, thanks!

The hormones are making you hot. :thumbsdown:

Seriously, I'm sure you can find such calculations online. Sounds like the roof is the problem, not the AC.

Cool, thanks!

Mention my name and you will most likely get preferential treatment...

Sad, but true..

Mention my name and you will most likely get preferential treatment...

Sad, but true..

"Hello, my name is TNG, I have some questions about my AC. Some dork on the internet suggested I call you... yes... sounds like him... :blink: ... gotta be him. Glad I could make you laugh, and thanks for your help!"

If it was working well before, you don't need a new unit. Is there any ventilation in your new roof? Maybe there was a ridge vent where there isn't now. Add an attic fan, and check and see if you are getting ventilation. Check and make sure you have plenty of insulation. It would be a waste of money to replace your unit. How big is your house?

"Hello, my name is TNG, I have some questions about my AC. Some dork on the internet suggested I call you... yes... sounds like him... :lol: ... gotta be him. Glad I could make you laugh, and thanks for your help!"

She knows my name, asshat...

Good attempt, though... :banana:

Thanks.

It's possible that the unit is undersized but I would have a guy out to look it over before upgrading to a larger size. Some old time guys were not to exact in determining the a/c size required for a home but I would have it checked out before replacing it.

There might be a leak or a problem somewhere that needs to be taken care of. When was the last time you had the a/c unit serviced? Was it cooling properly before the roof replacement? Has anything been planted around the a/c recently or is there anything blocking the a/c from drawing the proper amount of air needed to transfer the heat out of the home? There are lots of reasons why you're having cooling issues. Proper sizing is only one of them.