Sign in to follow this  
pollardposse

Why Steve Smith will still dominate next year....

Even with Smith missing the first 2 games he was on pace for pretty good numbers. The Delhomme injury is what killed him. IMO you didnt nail anything, you got lucky due to fluke injuries/circumstances.

If you would've said Egde will struggle as the RB in arizona than i would say you "nailed it". Totally different circumstance IMO.

I still think Smith's TD numbers wouldn't be much higher, even if he had played the first 2 games, or if Delhome stayed healthy. But we'll never know for sure. I'll have to re-predict it again for next year.

As for Edge... I read an article in pre-season about all the stud RBs who had changed teams within the past 10 years or so. ALL OF THEM put up similar stats as they did the year before: Portis, Holmes, Williams, whoever... After reading that, it was hard to believe that Edge's stats would drop THAT much. But they did. :first:

You can't knock Steve Smith here. The injury slowed him up early. Still in non-ppr standard scoring Steve Smith averaged 11.9 ppg, which ties him with TO and Reggie Wayne for 4th among all WRs. In ppr we are talking 17.7, good enough for 3rd. So, when he has been on the field, he has remained in the upper tier of NFL wide receivers.

You can't knock Steve Smith here. The injury slowed him up early. Still in non-ppr standard scoring Steve Smith averaged 11.9 ppg, which ties him with TO and Reggie Wayne for 4th among all WRs. In ppr we are talking 17.7, good enough for 3rd. So, when he has been on the field, he has remained in the upper tier of NFL wide receivers.

His receptions and yardage were gauranteed money. I merely predicted he wouldn't have double digit TDs. I based that prediction on him being the shortest 'elite' WR in the NFL over the past 20 years or so. Turns out, I was right about him finishing with less than 10 TDs this year, although I get no credit because of the missed games and Delhome's injury. That's understandable I guess.

I do agree with you that Smith still had a pretty productive year, fantasy points wise.

Man, it sucks being right all the time. :doublethumbsup:

With 1 week left to go, Steve Smith 2006: 76 receptions, 1081 yards, 6 TDs, 1 rush TD

You're a pathetic little man

Torry Holt remains the safest WR pick when it comes to consistent getting 4+ receptions and 60+ yards a game.

Harrison seems to be on the decline but he always puts up huge numbers the 2nd half of the season but he is nowhere as consistent as Holt. Next year I will put Wayne ahead of Harrison.

Steve Smith? Chad Johnson? Not as safe as Holt but I would downgrade Smith to below all of the above based on the fact that he tends to get injured ever so often and can lay goose eggs.

His O-line will be much improved. That helps the running game, which in turns means they can't double and triple cover Smith.

He has a legit homerun threat in Williams. Teams will have a safety eyeballing him and Foster to make sure they don't rip off consistent long runs. With one safety watching the RB, it's one less safety playing over the top. Smith is their deep threat. He will get more long range shots with a legit ground game.

He has a second receiver to take pressure off him.

If the Panthers have a lead or are in a close game in the second half, they are certainly going to use the play action.

Overall, the Panthers offense could be quite good. I think his total catches will go down, but his TD's and yardage should be close to his '05 numbers.

He will be better.

I think this was a horrible season because the team was constantly in turmoil because of injuries. When you start the season injured, it is harder to get on track when you come back and everyone around you is in better shape, and better health than you. (most people come back to play when they can perform at 85 or 90% of normal and are not at risk of further injury.)

and with Delhomme getting injured that messed things up a lot worse.

Assuming he reports to camp in shape and his team remains healthy all year long... he will have a much better season.