Sign in to follow this  
jmonfrey

Ronnie Brown

Would not surprise me at all.

If he can stay healthy, he'll be right there in that top 5 mix. He's a '5 tool' back in a good offense.

I don't think he'll get the carries to be top 5.

who else will have the carries?

who else will have the carries?

Whomever. Morris, Minor, Riggs, casualty of June 1st cut. Can't see them going from 200 carries to 350 carries, which is what he'd need to be top 5.

to finish top 5, he would have to beat out at least 6 of these guys:

in no particular order:

LJ

LT

SA

Portis

Tiki

Edge

Lamont

Rudi

SJax

Caddy

not saying it's not possible, i just think at least 4 of those guys will be ahead of him - especially in ppr leagues...

i think top8 is definitely attainable, but that is also what we were all saying about the Jones' & McGahee last year too...

Wow is this guy ever getting overhyped. What has he done to gain this kind of credit? Top 5 numbers, let's get serious. I agree the guy has the size, speed, and potential to be great but I'd much rather he was my #2 back than #1. That's not going to happen though because the hype machine will have him in the top 12 picks by August. At this rate, by August this guy could be going before Jordan or Jackson. I hope I pick behind the guy that takes Brown at about 6, 7, or 8 and leaves me with Jackson or Jordan. I'd take them any day over Ronnie Brown.

Wow is this guy ever getting overhyped. What has he done to gain this kind of credit? Top 5 numbers, let's get serious. I agree the guy has the size, speed, and potential to be great but I'd much rather he was my #2 back than #1. That's not going to happen though because the hype machine will have him in the top 12 picks by August. At this rate, by August this guy could be going before Jordan or Jackson. I hope I pick behind the guy that takes Brown at about 6, 7, or 8 and leaves me with Jackson or Jordan. I'd take them any day over Ronnie Brown.

i'm right there w/ ya on that one... that's why i brought up the Jones' hype-machine from last year...

RBrown does have the fact that he is playing on a offense that seems like it should be pretty powerful this year, but he really hasn't done enough to reach top 8 preseason yet...

there are about 20 backs that "can" crack the top 5 this year. and ronnie is one of them so it wouldn't surprise me..

I think this is a guy that we need to see this preseason. I'm waiting to see how Edge, Jordan, and SJax do in their new systems before I jump to conclusions that Ronnie Brown will be worse than them. Browns the only one out of them who is with the same coach, in the same system...Quite possible he could finish ahead of them IMO.

I think this is a guy that we need to see this preseason. I'm waiting to see how Edge, Jordan, and SJax do in their new systems before I jump to conclusions that Ronnie Brown will be worse than them. Browns the only one out of them who is with the same coach, in the same system...Quite possible he could finish ahead of them IMO.

Not really. Linehan left and Mularkey was hired.

Wow is this guy ever getting overhyped. What has he done to gain this kind of credit?

Over 1100 yds in a rookie season in which he essentially split carries with Ricky Williams, ran behind a so-so O-line and missed time due to injury? With the line significantly improved and Ricky playing in Canada (if at all) I see no reason not to be high on Ronnie Brown, especially in PPR leagues.

Not really. Linehan left and Mularkey was hired.

It's still Linehan's system. We've been over this before.

Whomever. Morris, Minor, Riggs, casualty of June 1st cut. Can't see them going from 200 carries to 350 carries, which is what he'd need to be top 5.

Fair enough. As for me, I can't see a snowball's chance in South Florida of any of those guys seeing the 168 carries that RW got last year sans an injury to Ronnie Brown.

This seems a pretty weak argument. They're RB's in the NFL. It's not rocket science. Brown/Williams did pretty well in Linehan's system for the 1st year. I think Jackson will be just fine. So will Jordan. Edge's line is not great but I still think he'll be fine.

It's still Linehan's system. We've been over this before.

It's Linehan philosophy. The way things are run and the plays themselves will most definitely change.

Over 1100 yds in a rookie season in which he essentially split carries with Ricky Williams, ran behind a so-so O-line and missed time due to injury? With the line significantly improved and Ricky playing in Canada (if at all) I see no reason not to be high on Ronnie Brown, especially in PPR leagues.

Julius Jones:

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 2004 dal | 8 | 197 819 4.2 7 | 17 109 6.4 0 |

| 2005 dal | 13 | 257 993 3.9 5 | 35 218 6.2 0

Kevin Jones:

| 2004 det | 15 | 241 1133 4.7 5 | 28 180 6.4 1 |

| 2005 det | 13 | 186 664 3.6 5 | 20 109 5.5 0 |

Ronnie Brown:

| 2005 mia | 15 | 207 907 4.4 4 | 32 232 7.2 1 |

all have considerably similar rookie season stats, and you're automatically assuming RBrown will improve in his 2nd year to the point of a top 10 back?

KJones had just as bad of a line in 2004, JJones missed time due to injury in 2004.

both had sophmore years many of us wish we could forget...

This seems a pretty weak argument. They're RB's in the NFL. It's not rocket science. Brown/Williams did pretty well in Linehan's system for the 1st year. I think Jackson will be just fine. So will Jordan. Edge's line is not great but I still think he'll be fine.

I'm not taking anything away from their talent. I'm simply saying I want to wait and see how these new coaches/systems are going to work before I jump to conclusions.

Julius Jones:

Kevin Jones:

Ronnie Brown:

all have considerably similar rookie season stats, and you're automatically assuming RBrown will improve in his 2nd year to the point of a top 10 back?

KJones had just as bad of a line in 2004, JJones missed time due to injury in 2004.

While I see your point, I would have to assume an injury to Ronnie Brown that would cause him to miss 3 games before I could jump to the conclusion that he will repeat the performances of Jones and Jones in his 2nd year. Also, I may be mistaken but I don't think that JJones was the featured back for all of 2004, either. One can always predict a "sophomore slump" from just about anyone. However, the fact that Miami has made significant improvements in their O-line and QB positions along with the fact that Brown won't be sharing carries with RW this fall lead me to conclude that Brown will have better numbers next year than either of the two RB's you cited (and you correctly didn't mention improved QB or line play from year 1 to year 2 in either of your examples, for there was none in my estimation).

Still...time will tell. It's all speculation at this point anyway.

This guy is a top 12 RB. With all the RBBC this year it is not realistic to have Brown as your #2 Back. I currently have him ranked #11

This guy is a top 12 RB. With all the RBBC this year it is not realistic to have Brown as your #2 Back. I currently have him ranked #11

antsports ADP currently has him at 2.04, and the 14th overall RB going off the board with the following ahead of him:

LJ

SA

LT

Portis

Edge

Tiki

LJordan

SJax

Rudi

McGahee

Caddy

DDavis

Westy.

RBrown

IMHO, this is a good placement for him, with maybe a bump up ahead of DDavis on the high end since none of these guys are really RBBC material...

I couldn't see myself drafting him in the first, but if I got Rudi, McGahee, Caddy in the first, I could see myself taking RBrown in the 2nd to help bolster the RB position instead of going for a WR...

Why?

Just because you're ranking him at 11 doesn't mean everyone else is. And if you're ranking him at # 11 you're putting him ahead of either McGahee or Cadillac I believe. I was thinking he would make a great # 2 RB but there's guys like you who'll take him in the 1st round. That's fine I'll take McGahee then or Cadillac or whoever else drops because Brown is being drafted higher.

to finish top 5, he would have to beat out at least 6 of these guys:

in no particular order:

LJ

LT

SA

Portis

Tiki

Edge

Lamont

Rudi

SJax

Caddy

not saying it's not possible, i just think at least 4 of those guys will be ahead of him - especially in ppr leagues...

i think top8 is definitely attainable, but that is also what we were all saying about the Jones' & McGahee last year too...

:sleep: I agree...

I agree with the idea he's a strong possibility to finish as a top 10 back with Ricky Williams out of the picture. Drafting him commensurate to that possibility is a different story, and I think I'd be too tempted to wait for him to drop to a spot where he's a bargain. I'll be interested in seeing how the ADP's on Brown are by the first week of August.

The hype on him scares me a little bit. He was hurt early, and came on strong later, posting some terrific games...now he's being annointed top 5 possibility? I doubt that. I was hoping to have a shot at RBrown/Caddy if I had 1.12 and 2.01, but considering it's only May, I'm thinking he gets taken way higher.

This all reminds me a little of the hype surrounding JJones after his monster finish to the 2004 season. :ninja:

I think it's too early and the QB situation in Miami actually appears worse at the start of this season than it did last year, because Harrington will have to learn the offense if C-Pep isn't ready (and he's doubtful for the first half of the season). At least Frerotte, for all his faults, played well enough for the running game to be decent.

The one saving grace about this team is it's improving defense, which could put the Dolphins in better field position more often.

I think Brown is a better runner and every down player than either of the Jones' you mentioned. I'm just not sure I'd put him in the category of elite runner that can lift his team despite the QB woes...

If Brown is ADP-ing in the top 10 of RBs and there is no clear indication Culpepper is ready to go within the first 2 weeks of the season, I think it's a mistake to pick him as even a #2 RB and your Jones comparison is a really good comparison, Scooter.

If C-Pep is ready, I'd still think it's a risk to pick him as a #2 RB because I have my doubts C-Pep will be able to stay healthy if he rushes it back too soon but I could see some scenarios where I might take the risk.

I'd rather pick Brown as my #3 RB and hopefully ride a great stretch run from him.

I think this is a case where Brown is a much better player to acquire in auction drafts than pick formats, because you have a better chance to get him at a reasonable value.

Yeah, and I'd rather have Shaun Alexander as my #3 back.

Brown won't go any later than the 15th pick in any draft.

15th back...sure---15th pick? No way.

But your wise crack about Alexander makes my point. Brown and Alexander at this stage are not players you can compare in terms of fantasy success. They aren't on the same plane, but people will over value Brown to the point where you have to pick him earlier than his true value to get a shot at him. I think that makes him a dangerous player to draft because you miss out on some awfully good players to hope he merits you picking him at spot where he hasn't produced to this level, yet.

Julius Jones:

Kevin Jones:

Ronnie Brown:

While your comparison with KJ has merit, the one with JJ doesn't. The reason why it can not be applied is that JJ had a viable alternative on the team and was injured again last year. You have a number of games missed due to injury, a number because the backup was still running well, then the adjustment period and RBBC the rest of the season.

KJ's situation was better since he wasn't injured for any significant time, but lets look at the supporting staff around him. Detriot was horrible in all offensive stats last year and their line was futile. Miami on the other hand has an improved line and a pretty good O around the guy.

Will a sophomore slump get Brown?? Possibly, but the tools are there for him to succeed. Its an unknown right now, but based on his performance last year, his prep work this year and the moves in the offseason speculation that he could become a top 5 back isn't that much of a stretch.

If you want to talk bad omens though.... In my XBox360 Franchise League that I have been playing the last few weeks, Brown went down with a career ending head injury.... :thumbsup: