Sign in to follow this  
LSUtiger

Drew Brees

I think Drew Brees will be a great fit in N.O. and with Sean Payton controlling the offense and calling plays, Brees should thrive with weapons like Deuce, Bush, Stallworth, Horn, etc.

My question to you is - Where do you see him among the rest of the fantasy QBs?

I would def. rank him in the top 10, with top 5 potential.

I think Drew Brees will be a great fit in N.O. and with Sean Payton controlling the offense and calling plays, Brees should thrive with weapons like Deuce, Bush, Stallworth, Horn, etc.

My question to you is - Where do you see him among the rest of the fantasy QBs?

I would def. rank him in the top 10, with top 5 potential.

Brees has never put up allot of TD's, and that was with Gates and LT on his team. I'd rank him outside the top 10, probably as a backup QB.

Brees has never put up allot of TD's, and that was with Gates and LT on his team.

:clap:

2004 he was tied for 7th with 27 passing TDs

2005 he was tied for 4th with 24 passing TDs

:lol:

2004 he was tied for 7th with 27 passing TDs

2005 he was tied for 4th with 24 passing TDs

Err, never mind. Don't know what I was thinking with that post. :banana:

I think drew brees is in fact top 10 with top 5 potential... however so are about 7 other guys (manning, brady, and palmer are the only 'locks' I see) and I doubt I would make a strong move to grab him ahead of a delhomme or bulger or any of the other guys for that matter...

good player, good potential, must come cheap

out

jdon

a better question would be,

with DBrees' affinity for, and accustomness (did i make that word up?) to throwing to the TE, would you take a flyer on Zach Hilton as your 2nd TE this year?

last year was his first as a starter in his 4 years in NO and the NFL, in which he started 6 games. This year is he 1st on the depth chart.... these were his stats:

2005 New Orleans Saints 15 games 6starts 35 receptions 396 yds. 11.3 avg/rec. 29 is the longest rec. 1 td. 6 rec's over 20 yds. 21 1st downs.

not too bad for a guy that only started 6 games...

I like Brees quite a bit but I don't see much that would cause me to distinguish him from a large middle tier of QBs, especially getting used to a new system along with every other player. Definitely the acquisition of Bush should help a ton, but maybe not immediately. Let me put it this way... strictly talking end of year numbers I'd expect Aaron Brooks to exceed Drew Brees' fantasy output.

Brees is definitely at or near the top of my list for a backup, but I would not trust him as my starter until I see him gel with his new offense...

I would say that Brees will not put up as many TD's (24) as he did last year. The main reason...new team and new offense.

I think he drops down a bit from what he did last year. He may need a year or so to get acquainted with offense.

He'd make a great #2 QB fantasy wise.

hows that defense down in the big easy?

If they are behind quite a bit, that only increases his value IMO...

a better question would be,

with DBrees' affinity for, and accustomness (did i make that word up?) to throwing to the TE,

I believe the word you were searching for was propensity.

Good to be back for another year of FF!

I am extremely hesitant to spend anywhere near as high a pick on Brees as I'd have to in order to get him this year.

I think he'll be selected between the 7th & 10th rounds, and his ADP is 9.05 currently.

I just don't trust that injured shoulder. It's roughly the same injury as Pennington, and some of you might recall what I said about him last year.

In case you don't, here's a reminder: it's essentially the same injury I suffered, and it is extremely easy to re-injur. If Brees has his arm cocked to throw and a defender slaps at his arm while in that position, he'll be done for the year.

I said this about Pennington and was soundly mocked for it because though I was told by my ortho surgeon that it's a career threatening injury for a QB or baseball pitcher, many here said, "well you're not a doctor". Result: Pennington was slapped on the arm while cocked to throw, and he was out for the year, headed for his 2nd surgery on his rotator cuff.

The O-Line in SD was FAR superior to the OL in NO. In fact NO's O-Line was about the worst I've ever seen, and Brooks was running for his life game after game after game. And Brooks is 10X more mobile than Brees. I think Brees might be sacked as much in NO as Carr is in Houston this year, and I'm unconvinced Brees can handle that.

I certainly do not expect him to be in the top 10 in either yards or TDs with that surrounding cast, and he is officially on my "do not draft list".

There's red flags all over Brees this year, IMO.

The O-Line in SD was FAR superior to the OL in NO. In fact NO's O-Line was about the worst I've ever seen, and Brooks was running for his life game after game after game. And Brooks is 10X more mobile than Brees. I think Brees might be sacked as much in NO as Carr is in Houston this year, and I'm unconvinced Brees can handle that.

Wow, that seems like a bit much. I must assume you didn't watch one single Houston Texan game over the past three years. :ninja:

I would say that Brees will not put up as many TD's (24) as he did last year. The main reason...new team and new offense.

I think he drops down a bit from what he did last year. He may need a year or so to get acquainted with offense.

He'd make a great #2 QB fantasy wise.

i like what ur saying...im not going to risk taking him late as my number 1, but i might take him as my number 2 and see how he turns out. he would be my target late in the draft. hes got potential, but im not sold yet because hes on a new team

Wow, that seems like a bit much. I must assume you didn't watch one single Houston Texan game over the past three years. :shocking:

Actually, I saw many. I also saw many Saints games. The only difference I noted was that Brooks was a lot more elusive than Carr, thus Carr got sacked more when Brooks gave himself the opportunity to throw it away.

I had the NFL package and watched as many teams as I could.

Try not to assume...it makes an ass|you|me.

:huh:

thus Carr got sacked more when Brooks gave himself the opportunity to throw it away.

... yeah he did a great job of scrambling then throwing 5 yards behind him to an O-Lineman! dudes a clown...

... yeah he did a great job of scrambling then throwing 5 yards behind him to an O-Lineman! dudes a clown...

Amazing... I have never heard one play referenced so many times by the fantasy football community... :thumbsup:

Once Brees gets accustomed to the surroundings, players, and playcalling, he should be a fine QB. I'd take shot at him in maybe 8th after you get 3 RBs, 3WRs, and a QB1. Watch out for him in the 2nd half of the season. Payton runs a good offense, unless you ask Fassel, and they have a ton of talent at every postion. Not to mention, the Aint's D will leave Brees with a lot of chances to toss the rock to the likes of Horn, Stallworth, Henderson, Haas, Duece, and of course, some Bush. His arm was already not as strong as some might like, so working indoors at least 9 games a year (Atlanta is the other game) will be beneficial. He's essentially on a one-year deal, so he's not gonna risk coming back too early. Risk of injury is inherent to everyone in the game, so, if he's good enough to be out there, I won't worry about his shouler. Any freak thing could happen, although his chances may be higher because of a defender hitting his arm, but he could get Culpeppered just as easily. I like him, in the 2nd half of the year even better. You might even get a Kurt Warner in the 7th and Brees afterwards - Warner should be hitting the IR as Brees is ready to start tossing TDs.

It all depends on how strong his arm is this season. If he doesn't have near the same strength he once did, he won't be very confident throwing the ball all over the field.

Nobody can really project how well he will do this year until they see him play in the preseason.

Amazing... I have never heard one play referenced so many times by the fantasy football community... :thumbsdown:

I was just going to reply with the same statement.

That's ok - people would rather wallow in hyperbole than engage in intelligent discussion.

Their loss.

The ironic thing is that even when Brooks was passing to an O-Lineman's helmet, or worse the fumble-pass to no one behind him (which would have been a better reference) it was all th result of poor O-line protection breaking down and causing him to run for his life.

Brees doesn't have a chance, IMO.