Sign in to follow this  
GemMaster

Basic or IDP!

i like basic, im not into IDP just because it never seemed to be fun to me. maybe its just me, but it doesnt intrigue me at all.. stick with offensive posistions and one defensive team.

Basic. Don't really want to spend the time researching all the D players let alone trying to keep up with it through out the year.

Also, as Commish, I could see this being a mess of WW trx.

Last, I just don't care.

IDP, everything else is just too easy. Full rosters, full defenses! Full strategy. The only way to play.

But I am a die hard

Basic for the free Yahoo league players.

IDP for the real FF players.

I wont even join a league without IDPS.

It waters down the game. Would you consider doing just offensive units ? of course not, cause its boring

IDPS add more of a challenge to the game

PS Ive been doing idps for 20 years .

No one cares how many tackles the backup nose tackle got last week.

If you run your teams based on last weeks stats, you'd best stick to "O" leagues :shocking:

offense only! No one cares how many tackles the backup nose tackle got last week.

How are tackles any less important a stat than yards or catches?

How are tackles any less important a stat than yards or catches?

Because the best defense is a good offense?

IDP leagues are far superior. It brings a whole new dimention to the game. Playing in offensive only leagues is like living in the past and never graduating from high school. If you think otherwise then you should grow up and enjoy the rest of what you have left behind.

IDP for Diehards... :unsure:

Offense only for those with not enough time or just not enough experience... :cry:

IDP takes much longer but it's worth it. Team Defences play too much into the matchups...I prefer to target the elite players....throw in the auction instead of the draft and you've got yourself a league.

It seems that those who like to just watch games on Sunday & check their teams lean toward basic. Those ff players who want to get as close to being a real GM/Owner love the IDP concept.

Which group do you belong to?

Basic is for kids.

IDP is for adults.

If you like IDP over Basic, then you probably like chess, golf, wargames, managing Fortune 500 companies, playing the stock market, driving sports cars that cost over 50K, and solving problems that face mankind.

If you like Basic over IDP, then you like eating cereal for dinner and you probably think like the feller that wanted back into the Matrix.

:wacko:

and we use 2 QBs in my IDP league....

:o :bandana:

Basic is for kids.

IDP is for adults.

If you like IDP over Basic, then you probably like chess, golf, wargames, managing Fortune 500 companies, playing the stock market, driving sports cars that cost over 50K, and solving problems that face mankind.

If you like Basic over IDP, then you like eating cereal for dinner and you probably think like the feller that wanted back into the Matrix.

:argue:

and we use 2 QBs in my IDP league....

:argue: :bandana:

Now Instant Repay is what I called tuned in!!!!

IDP because playing with team defenses is gay.

I've never done a basic league with just defensive teams. When I got into fantasy football, we used IDP's in all the leagues I joined. I like it a lot more, maybe because it's all I've ever done (as far as defensive positions go).

My buddy started up a keeper league this season & we're doing DEF teams, & a couple starting IDP positions. So it will be my first time doing a DEF team...but all the rest are IDP's.

Basic for the free Yahoo league players.

IDP for the real FF players.

IDP for Diehards... :cry:

Offense only for those with not enough time or just not enough experience... :D

Basic is for kids.

IDP is for adults.

:thumbsup:

IDP because playing with team defenses is gay.

I knew this would bring the best out of this board. Excellent analysis, gentlemen.

:rolleyes:

Now Instant Repay is what I called tuned in!!!!

:mad:

sadly you can barley get 1 good IDP thread (if any) going once the season begins...

but yet there will be a million larry johnson and tatum bell threads splattered all over the board....

:banana:

How does playin IDP and w/ team D work out. Sounds like It'll get crazy.

You don't have both at the same time. With IDP you choose a set number of offensive players and a set number of defensive players. That makes up your starting lineup.

Basic uses team Def. That's the basis of this discussion.

You don't have both at the same time. With IDP you choose a set number of offensive players and a set number of defensive players. That makes up your starting lineup.

Basic uses team Def. That's the basis of this discussion.

one of the benefits is that you do not have to land larry johnson to win your league.

you can balance out a not too stellar backfield by selecting stud linebackers.

you can balance out playing against stud WRs by drafing stud DBs.

it adds more variables, strategy and less predictability....as opposed to drafting the entire steelers defense or the entire ravens, bears or patriots defense...to generate fear in your league in the defensive categories.

you target the best players that make up that team defense. instead of being stuck with the entire browns, packers or vikings defense on a bye week....you can just nab the best players and ballhawks on the lower ranked teams (who will still put up stud numbers) and enjoy their production (more so than that of a lowly ranked defense).

i would not be able to trade the last ranked team defense for anything special in my big $$$$ league.

but i will be able to trade the #1 defender (linebacker/DB) on a last ranked defense for something in my IDP league.

imagine if you played in a league where you drafted all of a team's WRs or all of a team's RBs or QBs....instead of individual offensive players.

Edited to add:

That was a bad analogy.....playing basic or team defense is like drafting an entire offensive unit instead of individual players on offense....

how much do you have to study for that?

boy, that sounds like a whole lotta fun too...

:thumbsdown:

IDP drafters, keep this date in mind - JULY 12th. Draft at 8pm eastern; please sign up before 7, Thank you

League ID#: 133864

League Name: ComeToPlay 06

Password: 1234

Draft Type: Live Draft

Draft Time: Wed Jul 12 8:00pm EDT [ Add to My Calendar ]

Max Teams: 12

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

Start Scoring on: Week 1

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Max Moves: No maximum

Max Trades: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 2

Trade End Date: December 1, 2006

Trade Review: Commissioner

Waiver Time: 2 days

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

Playoffs: Week 14, 15 and 16 (8 teams)

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, W/R, K, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories: Completions (.2)

Passing Yards (50 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Sacks (-1)

Rushing Attempts (.2)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (1)

Reception Yards (20 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles (-1)

Fumbles Lost (-1)

Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)

Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)

Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)

Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)

Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)

Point After Attempt Made (1)

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (3)

Interception (4)

Fumble Force (2)

Fumble Recovery (2)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (3)

Pass Defended (1)

Block Kick (3)

Fractional Points: Yes

Negative Points: Yes

IDP drafters, keep this date in mind - JULY 12th. Draft at 8pm eastern; please sign up before 7, Thank you

League ID#: 133864

League Name: ComeToPlay 06

Password: 1234

Draft Type: Live Draft

Draft Time: Wed Jul 12 8:00pm EDT [ Add to My Calendar ]

Max Teams: 12

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

Start Scoring on: Week 1

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Max Moves: No maximum

Max Trades: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 2

Trade End Date: December 1, 2006

Trade Review: Commissioner

Waiver Time: 2 days

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

Playoffs: Week 14, 15 and 16 (8 teams)

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, W/R, K, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories: Completions (.2)

Passing Yards (50 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Sacks (-1)

Rushing Attempts (.2)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (1)

Reception Yards (20 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles (-1)

Fumbles Lost (-1)

Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)

Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)

Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)

Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)

Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)

Point After Attempt Made (1)

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (3)

Interception (4)

Fumble Force (2)

Fumble Recovery (2)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (3)

Pass Defended (1)

Block Kick (3)

Fractional Points: Yes

Negative Points: Yes

I see the predictable "I'm a more advanced player than you because I do IDPs" type showed up. :thumbsup:

It's not my thing. I can see where IDPs would offer a bit more realism to the game, but I'm happy with just the offensive players and team defense. I don't have the time or desire to figure out the individual defensive players, too. Heh. I guess they are more advanced players than me after all. :)

Elitists. :mad:

IDP is almost like playing the new EA game NFL Head Coach. It tests your TRUE GM skills.

So you like that game, eh? I was thinking about trying it, but I've heard mostly negative things about it. :unsure:

we do this in my dynasty league

Just out of curiosity, those of you who have stated that the Basic is for Idiots and IDP is for the great fantasy minds, please let me know the following:

How many of you are married?

How many of you have stable marriages?

How many have kids?

How many of you dont miss any of your kids activities?

How many have full time jobs?

How many of you travel the country and world YEARLY?

How many of you enjoy life to the fullest?

I am curious, becuase I have little time for my full and normal life and the time that I spend to decide who to draft in my BASIC league is barely enough for me. So please help me because my time management skills must suck if you have the type of time that you have for what you need to do and be competitive. You see real NFL GMs that is all that they do. They dont have lives nor 2nd jobs.

PS - for the person that said that Basic players dont do certain things, I love chess, golf, games of strategy and both my wife and I drive, sports or luxury cars over $55K.

Just my thoughts!

Basic. Don't really want to spend the time researching all the D players let alone trying to keep up with it through out the year.

Also, as Commish, I could see this being a mess of WW trx.

Last, I just don't care.

:banana:

I finally got rid of the TEAM defenses a few years ago in my Dynasty League..... I've always had IDP since I think 96 or so... it's the best way to play.... Team Defenses :first: IDP's :wall:

Just out of curiosity, those of you who have stated that the Basic is for Idiots and IDP is for the great fantasy minds, please let me know the following:

How many have kids?

I am curious, becuase I have little time for my full and normal life and the time that I spend to decide who to draft in my BASIC league is barely enough for me. So please help me because my time management skills must suck if you have the type of time that you have for what you need to do and be competitive. You see real NFL GMs that is all that they do. They dont have lives nor 2nd jobs.

PS - for the person that said that Basic players dont do certain things, I love chess, golf, games of strategy and both my wife and I drive, sports or luxury cars over $55K.

Just my thoughts!

:wall:

How many have kids?

Just my thoughts!

Married 11 years, very stable. Never miss kids activities, have traveled all over America, Canada, and Mexico. Waiting for the kids to get a bit older before I go International. Building a new house on 5 acres I just bought, have a stable job with no debt. I love life. Give me a beach, Cuban cigar, and a 20 year old Cognac and I am at pure peace.

And yes, I think basic is boring. IDP takes no longer than basic. There is enough info out there to grab it quickly and make an informed decision. Why not just play team offenses if you have no time? Or why not just give it up completely so you can play with your dolls. Next time you come on a FFB site and try and say that you are too busy, remember this....you had time to show up here.

Married 11 years, very stable. Never miss kids activities, have traveled all over America, Canada, and Mexico. Waiting for the kids to get a bit older before I go International. Building a new house on 5 acres I just bought, have a stable job with no debt. I love life. Give me a beach, Cuban cigar, and a 20 year old Cognac and I am at pure peace.

And yes, I think basic is boring. IDP takes no longer than basic. There is enough info out there to grab it quickly and make an informed decision. Why not just play team offenses if you have no time? Or why not just give it up completely so you can play with your dolls. Next time you come on a FFB site and try and say that you are too busy, remember this....you had time to show up here.

Funny, if you see by my posts, I dont come here often. I was asking a question and usual someone wants to give a dumb azz response. I can go anwhere I want and I dont play with dolls, but if you think that you are much smarter than anyone else because you play in IDP leagues, then you are fool! I was just curious as too how much time people have to do something and someone takes offense and tries to give smart comments.

And I have already gone international, with the kids (Stop being cheap and take the kids) and have 5000 square feet on 7 acres. So try to win a pissing match with someone else, because I asked a very valid question with NO SARCASM!

Funny, if you see by my posts, I dont come here often. I was asking a question and usual someone wants to give a dumb azz response. I can go anwhere I want and I dont play with dolls, but if you think that you are much smarter than anyone else because you play in IDP leagues, then you are fool! I was just curious as too how much time people have to do something and someone takes offense and tries to give smart comments.

And I have already gone international, with the kids (Stop being cheap and take the kids) and have 5000 square feet on 7 acres. So try to win a pissing match with someone else, because I asked a very valid question with NO SARCASM!

Valid question? You questioned anyone who thinks basic is boring. And you questioned their lifestyles. Why? Because you want to justify your belief. Nothing about your original post was valid. How small your ego must be to do something as retarded as that. WOW. I am amazed that a busy rich person such as yourself who thinks everyone who hasn't gone International is beneath him, would even show up to a site such as this. WOW, Prince Harry...Is that you?

Talking about your "riches" online. That is the dumbest thing ever attempted. You sir, must work at the mini mart selling hotdogs. But yes, we all know you have a 12 inch weenie and drive a new hummer. And live next to Bill Gates.

Tell us more....We are really interested. :ninja:

Oh yeah...basic... :rolleyes: