Sign in to follow this  
Zap

FRAFT: TIME AND DATE

I know this may throw a wrench in everyone elses planning, but I leave the States to go back to Korea on August 22nd. As ya'll probably remember, that caused some scheadulong conflicts. If you guys are down, I'd appreciate it if we could draft before then...

Um, it's possible. We're not doing the long drawn out board draft this year. We're cranking out 25 rounds live in a two maybe even three hour session. So, your travel situation shouldn't be an issue, but perhaps connectivity and such from Korea is. Give me more information. Most of these multi-leaguers are flexible, but we do need to nail down a date EARLY this year. Not being able to is why we tortured ourselves for three weeks with the sloooooo draft. Of course, I excel when given extra time to ponder my choice, so I'll go slow again and win again. The live draft is just my way of giving you all some hope. :thumbsup:

It's good to be king.

I'm heading back to the states in about a week or so, and then I leave for Korea on the 22nd. Between those times I'll mostly be drinking, playing video games, or reading anything and everything I can to insure complete dominance of this league. So that means I'm pretty much open.

Where in Korea are you at? I was stationed at Osan back in 2002...I sure do miss that place man, non stop party over there.

Where in Korea are you at? I was stationed at Osan back in 2002...I sure do miss that place man, not stop party over there.

Yeah, Sonm was drunk through half the draft last year. :headbanger:

Not back yet, but I'll be in headin' back to Anyang (just outside of Seoul) at the end o' August. Like I said, I'm an English teacher there, and we do party serious ass. A friend of mine described living there perfectly..."It's like we're still in college, but now we have money!"

The scoring rules in the mock are very similar to ours with a minor adjustment in passing TDs from 6 to 4, which seems more standard these days. If you all prefer knocking the qbs down a little in value, I'm for change. t.j may prefer adding another neg pt for turnovers (from -2 to -3), and that's ok by me too.

Man, this mock ya'll are doing is going at a record pace! I'm in Rome and I've probably checked it more than some o' the folks holding things up....although, I must admit, I'm more interested in football news, any football news, than seeing another g-dammed church. Can't wait to head home tommorrow...I know the 2 month journey through Asia/Europe may sound exciting and all, but I's is tired! I plan on laying on the couch for a good week when I get home...and eating ridiculous amounts of burritos. Mmmmmmmmm.....burritos.

Man, this mock ya'll are doing is going at a record pace! I'm in Rome and I've probably checked it more than some o' the folks holding things up....although, I must admit, I'm more interested in football news, any football news, than seeing another g-dammed church. Can't wait to head home tommorrow...I know the 2 month journey through Asia/Europe may sound exciting and all, but I's is tired! I plan on laying on the couch for a good week when I get home...and eating ridiculous amounts of burritos. Mmmmmmmmm.....burritos.

Where's home stateside? If you're loading up on Burritos, I hope it's not in Wisconsin, or Iowa, or some other place that uses canned beans, ground beef and olives. :angry:

i like passing tds being worth the same as other tds, and yeah i like turnovers being worth -3 better than -2.

also, yahoo is ready for league creation now, i looked it over and we should have all the same control we had over the league last year, although they still have the same crappy DL/DB system for idps (no LBs)

Thanks for the update t.j! I'll go set us up and try to nab a draft slot tonight....

I couldn't help but notice this on our Yahoo site:

League Notes:

• Your live online draft is set for Thu Aug 26 5:30pm PDT [ Add to My Calendar ], which is 44 days, 4 hours, and 12 minutes from now (test your system). Please arrive at least 10 minutes early since your draft will start promptly at the assigned time. You can pre-rank your players at any time.

• The draft order will be randomly determined approximately 30 minutes before the draft begins.

Is this accurate?

League Notes:

• Your live online draft is set for Thu Aug 19 6:00pm PDT [ Add to My Calendar ], which is 37 days, 1 hour, and 59 minutes from now (test your system). Please arrive at least 10 minutes early since your draft will start promptly at the assigned time. You can pre-rank your players at any time.

• The draft order will be randomly determined approximately 30 minutes before the draft begins.

:angry:

So you really wanna do the Yahoo live draft huh? :angry:

At any rate, August 19 should work pretty well for me. We have a huge deadline at work on August 16th and although right now I am at a point where I can't promise to be available at 6pm EST, after that deadline it shouldn't be a problem. :angry:

League Notes:

• Your live online draft is set for Thu Aug 19 6:00pm PDT [ Add to My Calendar ], which is 37 days, 1 hour, and 59 minutes from now (test your system). Please arrive at least 10 minutes early since your draft will start promptly at the assigned time. You can pre-rank your players at any time.

:banana:

So you really wanna do the Yahoo live draft huh? :angry:

At any rate, August 19 should work pretty well for me. We have a huge deadline at work on August 16th and although right now I am at a point where I can't promise to be available at 6pm EST, after that deadline it shouldn't be a problem. :angry:

No, I want to do a slow draft for about a week, then all get together and finish it off live. First 12 rounds slow, final 13 fast. That's what I want. :angry:

If you have a safer suggestion than Yahoo, let's hear it. I think I can input the draft order. I think I can extend the time limit. Do you know if I am right about these? I have spent no time there because of the mock.

I put in the 19th as a precaution for Sonm. This mock is almost done, and I will get on the draft and last spot by this weekend.

That's 6:00 PM PDT... Big difference for us West Coasters.

i meant to say 6 pm PST. i can't guarantee getting out of work by 6 pm PST currently (today for example i may be here until 9 or so), but anyway like i said it shouldn't be a problem after the deadline.

If you have a safer suggestion than Yahoo, let's hear it.

http://www.geocities.com/satori85/Chat.htm?x=51&y=16 :headbanger:

we used this last year for the league i commish and as i recall it worked great. just ask bluepointer pik t-run 95. although it won't give you all the automatic stuff you want. i don't really know anything about the yahoo live draft. personally i prefer the flexibility of an "offline" draft.

http://www.geocities.com/satori85/Chat.htm?x=51&y=16 :headbanger:

we used this last year for the league i commish and as i recall it worked great. just ask bluepointer pik t-run 95. although it won't give you all the automatic stuff you want. i don't really know anything about the yahoo live draft. personally i prefer the flexibility of an "offline" draft.

Yahoo's draft room is actually very good. The danger is the time limit. I'll have Draft Buddy up and working by then so the chat room is fine with me. And I think I can cut and paste ongoing results here for reference during the mock. Just draft with two windows open, here and there, and it will be similar to Yahoo. I will probably screw up my own team though. I dunno. I'm way ahead of last year irt preparations, and the Hawaii thing was crazy. I'll pin this thread tonight and drop the mock threads and maybe we'll get some input from the others.

I can edit the draft order in advance. I don't see anything that will allow me to adjust or postpone time limits... but I still haven't looked closely.

So are we going live or not? Also, determining our picks like we did last year would be cool, so we know where we stand before draft day. I still dont have a comp, so i been using my sisters gay 56ker :thumbsup:

So are we going live or not? Also, determining our picks like we did last year would be cool, so we know where we stand before draft day. I still dont have a comp, so i been using my sisters gay 56ker :angry:

We're going live, but probably avoiding Yahoo's nazi tactics. I have an idea that has merit, but I'm not sure I like it. I can set up an Xperts mock that conforms to our set up. Well, we'd do 26 rounds because they insist on kickers, then I just wouldn't input the 26th round at Yahoo. This way I could commish the draft. Should someone have problems, I could intervene, unlike Yahoo. Our draft will be posted for my reference making the data entry very easy. It will have slick draft tools to make it smooth.

So what's my problem? The ADP (average draft position) there is very sharp. Yahoo's rankings suxor big time, so you have to make your own decisions. At Xperts everybody would have these very good cheats telling them who to pick next. lol... I know you're all sharp and whatnot, but man, that's no fun. I love seeing people take flyers and jump the gun on a guy a few rounds early. Xperts will make you feel stupid for having a mind of your own. And again, the rankings there are battle tested, fully vetted, and where I deviate from them, it isn't by much.

Still it is the best option I've thought of so far. t.j's chatroom just intimidates me. I couldn't keep up with a slow mock here today. Trying to keep everything updated and making sure a player hasn't already been picked would stress my head, and I wouldn't think through my own draft stategy clearly. That's not fair. I'm old and my brain doesn't work as fast as t.j's. :D

Xperts may be the way to go nonetheless, unless t.j wants to commish the draft for me. :banana: ?? :thumbsup:

In all that rambling I didn't address your main question. YES, we will have our draft order soon after I fill the last spot. So, you will have many weeks to plan your strategy that will be ruined by the person ahead of you.

On that topic, I am not emotionally attached to the random order generator. I just think it's a fast, fair, simple method. If it's SOP for us to pick our spot for the new season in "reverse" order of our finish last season, I'll do that. It sounds like fun. But what about our 3 newbies? Last three picks? (9th for me) First three picks? (last for me) Huh? And in what order should they pick? And why does it go in reverse order? I think winning should come with rewards. If I pick first, you know I'm taking the last spot anyway. That's where the winning team was drafted last year. :unsure:

Xperts may be the way to go nonetheless, unless t.j wants to commish the draft for me. :banana: ?? :unsure:

if i didn't already commish the draft in my other league, maybe. since i do, not a chance!

In all that rambling I didn't address your main question. YES, we will have our draft order soon after I fill the last spot. So, you will have many weeks to plan your strategy that will be ruined by the person ahead of you.

On that topic, I am not emotionally attached to the random order generator. I just think it's a fast, fair, simple method. If it's SOP for us to pick our spot for the new season in "reverse" order of our finish last season, I'll do that. It sounds like fun. But what about our 3 newbies? Last three picks? (9th for me) First three picks? (last for me) Huh? And in what order should they pick? And why does it go in reverse order? I think winning should come with rewards. If I pick first, you know I'm taking the last spot anyway. That's where the winning team was drafted last year. :unsure:

once again, the standard (at least i think it's standard) is not that the worst team picks first, it's that the worst team gets the first choice of which pick they want. depending on who is in the draft, sometimes that will be 1st but often that will be 4th or maybe 7th (seems popular lately). or if you're zap maybe 12th.

winning is its own reward. it's such a small advantage to have a "better" draft position that it's not going to cause people to tank the season. at the same time, it's a lot better than having some people feel like not only are they losing but they get a shitty draft position every year.

and, to answer your question, newbies usually get the last choice. so zap would get to pick his draft position before the new guys. it's just the price of being a rookie.

The ADP (average draft position) there is very sharp.  Yahoo's rankings suxor big time, so you have to make your own decisions.  At Xperts everybody would have these very good cheats telling them who to pick next.  lol... I know you're all sharp and whatnot, but man, that's no fun.  I love seeing people take flyers and jump the gun on a guy a few rounds early.  Xperts will make you feel stupid for having a mind of your own.  And again, the rankings there are battle tested, fully vetted, and where I deviate from them, it isn't by much.

I totally agree on that aspect. Having that list right next to you would eliminate "strategy." Plus, its fun to see people pass on a certain player. I'm down with however we pick the draft spots. Like you mentioned, 1st place gets to pick his spot 1st, etc... I think thats a reward to the people to try hard and at the same it should increase competitiveness

once again, the standard (at least i think it's standard) is not that the worst team picks first, it's that the worst team gets the first choice of which pick they want. depending on who is in the draft, sometimes that will be 1st but often that will be 4th or maybe 7th (seems popular lately). or if you're zap maybe 12th.

winning is its own reward. it's such a small advantage to have a "better" draft position that it's not going to cause people to tank the season. at the same time, it's a lot better than having some people feel like not only are they losing but they get a shitty draft position every year.

and, to answer your question, newbies usually get the last choice. so zap would get to pick his draft position before the new guys. it's just the price of being a rookie.

I understood. I didn't mean I was drafting 9th or last. I meant I was picking my draft spot 9th or last.

Newbies pick picks last? Hmmm... I understand why, but it seems a little harsh. I fear the randomizer (getting 1-4) more than I fear this method though. I'd have four slots remaining, so the "worst" I would get would be 4th pick. That's not as bad as the first three, and some would probably take the early picks for Priest or LT2, so this is safer for me than letting some random pooter stick me in the 1 spot, where I'd draft Fred Taylor. ;)

So whats our poison this year? I got an idea...you should make the rookies battle it out for their spots. Devise some kind of test/quiz, and the person who get 1st, gets the 1st pick out of the rookies, etc... its just a thought. Maybe you can add to it.

So whats our poison this year? I got an idea...you should make the rookies battle it out for their spots. Devise some kind of test/quiz, and the person who get 1st, gets the 1st pick out of the rookies, etc... its just a thought. Maybe you can add to it.

I deleted your post in the Format thread because it was off topic, didn't address the suggestion, and I plan on using that thread for years to come. :thumbsup:

As for the newbies. I'm not going to worry about it.

To answer the "25 rounds, holysh#@!" comment. I've been practicing live drafting at Xperts because I know it is a weakness of mine. 12 ready to go, fully prepared, uninterrupted owners, can get through a 22 rounder there in an hour and a half. The draft tools sure help, so I would like to find a solution that includes them. I'm sure this crew can focus on a time and date, and knock out all 25 rounds in 2 and a half hours one evening. I'd even bet it could be done on this message board, that fast. It could be done in a Yahoo draft room in under two hours, but the risk is someone having problems. I did two drafts there last year. All 12 owners in both leagues drafted straight through without a problem.

t.j-- How is the chat better than the board? It seems the board organizes things a little better, no?

One advantage of Yahoo draft room is that you HAVE to be there, no excuses. I kind of like that. Everyone in this league seems enthusiastic about the coming season. If we do the Yahoo live draft, you better be there, be prepared and not fall out. Anybody worried about there connect?

After all that, let's just focus on the date and time for now.

Yahoo draft room details-- in 90 seconds!

Select a date and time when you know that you and other league members (if it is a Custom League) have a couple of free hours to spend at the draft. You'll need a Java-enabled browser in order to participate. (Test Your System)

If you won't be present for the entire draft, go to your team page and pre-rank players. Your pre-ranked players will be used if you can't make a selection at any time during the live draft. If you choose not to pre-rank, our default ratings will be used when you can't make a selection. See the Autopick Draft Details section for more information.

When it's time for your draft, go to your league page and select Enter Live Draft. Please arrive 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled time as the draft will start promptly and may go rapidly if only a few managers are logged in.

Depending on the speed of your internet connection, it may take up to five minutes for the draft applet to load into your browser. If you use AOL as your ISP or access the web from behind a firewall (ask your system administrator), you may be unable to participate at all.

During the draft, you can view any team's roster by selecting the team name from the Drafted Players drop-down box. A list of how many players have been drafted at each position will appear in a column to the right of the roster.

You can also set up a draft queue for yourself. This list of players, which supercedes both pre and default rankings, will be used to make a selection if you do not draft a player during your allotted 90 seconds. To add a player to your queue list, select a name from the list on the left-hand side of the screen. The chosen name will appear in the draft box and the player will be added to your queue when you click on the Add to Queue button.

In addition, all of your pre-rankings will be viewable by changing the sort criteria (which can be found in the drop-down box) from Yahoo! Rankings to My Pre-Rankings.

During the draft, you'll see a number of indicators when it is your turn to draft. Your team name will appear in the yellow box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, your team icon will turn yellow and the player selection box will turn yellow.

To draft a player, select a name from the list on the left-hand side of the screen. The chosen name will appear in the draft box and the player will join your team when you click on the Draft button. You have 90 seconds to select a player. If you do not draft within the allotted time, the computer will automatically give you a player based on your queued list, pre-rankings or our default ratings if you have not queued players or submitted your own rankings list. See the Autopick Draft Details section for more information. Once you click the Draft button, you cannot "undraft" a player, even if there is time left in your allotted 90 second selection period.

To see which player Yahoo! Sports would recommend based on our default rankings, click on the Suggest button. The player's name will appear in the draft box. Click on the Draft button to select that player.

To chat with other managers during the draft, type your message in the entry box and hit Send. All messages will appear in the chat box. Draft choices will also be shown here.

When the draft is complete, you will see a message telling you the draft is over. Click the OK button to quit and close the applet. To see the complete draft results, go to your league page and select Draft Results. All of the selected players will be listed under the name of the team that drafted them.

http://www.geocities.com/satori85/Chat.htm?x=51&y=16 :thumbsup:

Imho, USE THE CHAT! It's sooo easy Zap. Yahoo Suxors. Chat is great because it's fast and organized, while yahoo "live" has a 1:30 time limit on picks no matter what. :D Plus people can look in on the chat if they want to follow the draft, unlike on yahoo, where it is only open to people in the league to look in. I have done hundreds of yahoo live drafts and TJ's "Live Chat" was better then every one of them. :D I'm really up for inreasing d players to 3-3-3 even. Also, anyway we can start the draft a little later on that Thursday? are people drafting from work? I mean I'll come back from the beach early to make the 3:00 start time but the wife is gonna kill me. :angry:

Imho, USE THE CHAT!  It's sooo easy Zap.  Yahoo Suxors.  Chat is great because it's fast and organized, while yahoo "live" has a 1:30 time limit on picks no matter what.  :huh:  Plus people can look in on the chat if they want to follow the draft, unlike on yahoo, where it is only open to people in the league to look in.  I have done hundreds of yahoo live drafts and TJ's "Live Chat" was better then every one of them.  :angry: I'm really up for inreasing d players to 3-3-3 even.  Also, anyway we can start the draft a little later on that Thursday?  are people drafting from work?  I mean I'll come back from the beach early to make the 3:00 start time but the wife is gonna kill me.  :angry:

Unless you've moved to Hawaii you won't be drafting in the afternoon. I believe I'm setting this up to start at 9pm EST. I tried to load the chat, and couldn't get in, but I'm not worried about that.

Hey everybody...

Scroll up to one of the above links and check out the Reckless Bacon chat. Take it for a test drive and tell me what you think.

What advantage does the chat have over this bored? It seems to me the bored does what a chat does but even a little more organized? I could be wrong about that.

I'll scrap the Yahoo idea. Done.

I'm waiting to hear back from Sonm on two different issues.

1. If we go "live" after Labor day, does that solve his Korea problems? It seems the slow week after week draft was a big issue, but I'm not sure if given this much notice that he cannot schedule a three hour session in the early morning there.

2. Exactly when will he be able to draft if we have to do it earlier for him? He said he's leaving on a weekend, so I backed it up to the next Thursday. How about Friday 20th, Saturday 21st?

I need answers. No one else has posted scheduling problems but Four2Oh, and I think he's said, on another bored, the 20th-24th are ideal for him. Does that exclude the 19th? Inquiring minds need to know. And t.j did suggest he "could" be working late pst around then. Maybe Saturday is best... right before Sonm leaves for Asia.

3-3-3 no DFlex? 9 IDPs. 26 rounds. At least we don't have to worry about kickers, but it seems the big depth and useage is at LB, and 2-2-2-2flex, may drain that spot a little better than 3-3-3, because some of us will use 4LBs. On the other hand, I've never cared for Flex flexibility. I'm open. I'm hoping all members get "a little" active here in the next week or so, until all this is resolved. Then they can all crawl back in their holes until the draft.

Hey everybody...

Scroll up to one of the above links and check out the Reckless Bacon chat. Take it for a test drive and tell me what you think.

Okay, I tried it again and it went fine. The first time I was in Mozilla and I think the pop ups and the pop up blocker went to war and things locked up. In IE it worked fine if you don't mind 8, count 'em, EIGHT popups. That's not going to work to anybody using dial up. :huh:

the advantage of the chat is that it's live and the bored is not. anything that requires hitting F5 is not suitable for a draft. instant communication makes all the difference. you do have to watch out for popups but if you kill them as they pop up you will only see a couple of them. if you don't, they will keep coming.

also, i do not think i will have problems working late on august 19th. after august 16th i should be ok for frafting after normal work hours.

the anything that requires hitting F5 is not suitable for a draft.

:banana:

That's cool doood. It refreshes the page! Thanks! :thumbsup:

you do have to watch out for popups but if you kill them as they pop up you will only see a couple of them. if you don't, they will keep coming.

Yes, but unless you've been on dial up lately, which I doubt you have, some of these new popups are just horrible to deal with.

Anyway, I didn't want to mention anything, because I hate making promises I cannot keep, but GOIDPANKAL has a new website for the Prozac Weekly, my nifty league specific stats, and a few other things including a free chat that seemed very slow. If I have the time to put a little more effort into the site, I'll link it up. If I don't then.. just never you mind... :thumbsup:

The 19th is the day I'm scheduled to come in off the road. Translation = anytime from the 18th to midnight on the 19th is when I could get in. With that in mind, the 20th would be safest, but the 19th will most likely be ok.

The 19th is the day I'm scheduled to come in off the road. Translation = anytime from the 18th to midnight on the 19th is when I could get in. With that in mind, the 20th would be safest, but the 19th will most likely be ok.

I'd rather be safe. I was avoiding the 20th because Friday nights don't have a great history for FF frafting. But, we're all grown ups here. Sit at your pooter with a bottle of tequila, a quart of vodka, a six pack of gack, and fRaFt away...

Seriously...

Aug 20?

6 PST?

9 EST?

Works for Sonm and 420, who have the serious travel and work issues? Gives t.j another day to make sure that deadline is met.

It's that or we may be able to wait until after Labor Day still. Sonm signed in at Yahoo, but hasn't anwered my other email. :thumbsup:

You newbies don't be afraid to speak up, if you have issues. Seniority means nothing around here. If you don't have any worries and are open to whatever works best, tell me so.