Sign in to follow this  
Rookie QB

Cecil Sapp & Ron Dayne running with 1st Team.

MOVING UP?: As the Broncos opened practice on Thursday, fullback/tailback Cecil Sapp was running with the first team offense as the lead blocker for Ron Dayne.

"Cecil is a worker," Coach Shanahan said of the CSU alum. "He is a guy that I feel is talented enough to be the starting fullback or tailback -- he is that type of athlete."

Kind of odd that Shanahan mentioned Cecil Sapp as a tailback, (Droughns was also a FB).

Link

It's an interesting tidbit, and the Broncos have proved again and again that just about anyone can put up numbers with their system. But one more running back in the committee isn't going to make fantasy owners happy.

Curiously, ESPN's fantasy preview mag is talking up another RB: Cedric Cobbs as a deep sleeper...it'll be interesting to find out how things pan out.

It's an interesting tidbit, and the Broncos have proved again and again that just about anyone can put up numbers with their system. But one more running back in the committee isn't going to make fantasy owners happy.

Curiously, ESPN's fantasy preview mag is talking up another RB: Cedric Cobbs as a deep sleeper...it'll be interesting to find out how things pan out.

Yeah Bronco's have tremendous depth at the RB position.

Guest Black Label Society

You guys are reading WAY too much into this stuff.

Shanahan is a giant fuckingprick when it comes to this stuff.

You can bet your dollars it'll be either Dayne or Bell.

These other 2 guys just don't deserve this role, and Shanahan doesnt' like RBBC (based on History).

My gut says Dayne will get 20+ carries, and Bell will spell again.

With his speed, he'll again bust some big gainers against tired D's.

Dayne should be good for 10+ TD's, Bell for 6 or 7. IMO.

Bell is the perfect compliment to Dayne. Sapp is perfect for the role Mike Anderson had when he was playing fullback/ change of pace back.

Dayne will be the starter with Bell spelling him and ripping stuff up. A lot like Holmes and LJ did last year before Holmes got hurt. Dayne will post some solid numbers. Bell will post some solid numbers. I wouldn't read into the Cecil Sapp stuff though.

:huh: STATE!!! :dunno:

So nice to see Diesel getting some love from Shanny. He's a heck of a football player and in real life a heck of a guy, too. The bottom line with him is he is a hard working football player. I watched him tear apart defenses for the better part of 3 years at State (including 2 workman performances against CU) and I can tell you the Mike Anderson comparison is close. Tough, straight ahead runner with enough burst to break the line and enough power to mow down most tacklers. He's been in Shanny's system for a few years and knows the most important thing a Denver RB must know in order to play, how to block. That's how he got to see time last year as a backup fb...starting to sound familiar, huh?

While nothing to obsess about now this is a nice progression from a hard worker. Remember, this time last season Shanny never mentioned Diesel's name. Great find.

I'm interested to hear other opinions on Dayne. His average ADP in a 12 team right now is 6.11. If Shanahan keeps him pencilled in as the starter all the way up to week one, where do you think Dayne will be going in drafts just before the season?

My guess is about middle 5th round. Guys still will not pick Dayne based on his past so I still believe he'll be a relatively low risk/high reward player.

I'm interested to hear other opinions on Dayne. His average ADP in a 12 team right now is 6.11. If Shanahan keeps him pencilled in as the starter all the way up to week one, where do you think Dayne will be going in drafts just before the season?

My guess is about middle 5th round. Guys still will not pick Dayne based on his past so I still believe he'll be a relatively low risk/high reward player.

if pencilled in as the "starter" (a term i use loosely when in reference w/ anything to do w/ the Rats' RBBC), i would probably risk a 6th rder on Dayne. By that time i should already have my top 2 RBs and WRs plus a backup, and i'll most likely not be going QB/TE this early either (unless a great QB slid to me early). Any of the remaining WRs in the 6th can have equivalents found in the 7th-10th, and the other remaining RBs will all have just as many ?s around them as Dayne, but at least he will still be in an RB friendly sytem...

You guys are reading WAY too much into this stuff.

Shanahan is a giant fuckingprick when it comes to this stuff.

You can bet your dollars it'll be either Dayne or Bell.

ITA :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: STATE!!! :banana:

So nice to see Diesel getting some love from Shanny. He's a heck of a football player and in real life a heck of a guy, too. The bottom line with him is he is a hard working football player. I watched him tear apart defenses for the better part of 3 years at State (including 2 workman performances against CU) and I can tell you the Mike Anderson comparison is close. Tough, straight ahead runner with enough burst to break the line and enough power to mow down most tacklers. He's been in Shanny's system for a few years and knows the most important thing a Denver RB must know in order to play, how to block. That's how he got to see time last year as a backup fb...starting to sound familiar, huh?

While nothing to obsess about now this is a nice progression from a hard worker. Remember, this time last season Shanny never mentioned Diesel's name. Great find.

Let me Guess, a CSU fan? :cry: Just to be a ######.....CU doesn't consider you a rival, your school is nothing... ( and no I did not attend CU, I just think CSU has one of the worst student bodys and alumni base in the entire country)

Let me Guess, a CSU fan? :first: Just to be a ######.....CU doesn't consider you a rival, your school is nothing... ( and no I did not attend CU, I just think CSU has one of the worst student bodys and alumni base in the entire country)

:wub: :blink: Glad to hear other people think the same about CSU fans.

Here's an article in today's Denver Post about Cedric Cobbs. At this point, to Shanahan, everyone is competing for a starting job. If anyone surprises, it will be Cobbs. Sapp is nothing more than an adequate backup fullback and a good special teams player. Most likely it will be RBBC with Dayne and Bell.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4021651

Interesting read from the Denver Post regarding Cobbs. He certainly passes the "eye" test. Most enlightening part of the article was the last sentence from the shanny. According to shanny Cobbs IS competing for the starting jobs. That's right, it reads starting J-O-B-S. Appartenly in rat's mind there is no starting TB, but starters-plural-.

Frustrating :cheers: ,

Bushwood

Interesting read from the Denver Post regarding Cobbs. He certainly passes the "eye" test. Most enlightening part of the article was the last sentence from the shanny. According to shanny Cobbs IS competing for the starting jobs. That's right, it reads starting J-O-B-S. Appartenly in rat's mind there is no starting TB, but starters-plural-.

Frustrating :thumbsup: ,

Bushwood

lol, I just figured it was a typo, but you're right...maybe he doesn't think any of them can be a full time starter. Good catch.

Ratface is the debbil :thumbsup:

Kind of odd that Shanahan mentioned Cecil Sapp as a tailback, (Droughns was also a FB).

Link

The problem is that you guys AREN'T FREAKIN READING!!! The article doesn't say, or even imply that Cecil Sapp was getting carries...it says he was LEAD FRIGGIN BLOCKING FOR RON DAYNE. IT'S SAYING THAT CECIL IS FIRST TEAM ALONG W/ RON DAYNE.

lol, I just figured it was a typo, but you're right...maybe he doesn't think any of them can be a full time starter. Good catch.

Cedric Cobb takes the job to start the season and Bell be the change of pace back again this year.