Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

The US has the highest drinking age in the world

Interesting Table

Never understood the concept that you could vote, choose to serve and die for your country, but drink a beer? God forbid! You're much too young for that! Now I know it's just the US that's totally F'ed up on this.

the sad thing is that the government basically strongarms states into making it 21. if they want to make it 18, the federal government threatens to cut off state funding for certain programs.

it's essentially blackmail, and it's wrong. it's a shame that the current administration doesn't do anything about it, especially since republicans are supposed to be pro-state's rights.

of course, we've all learned that when you have the presidency and congress, state's rights just get swept under the rug.

:clap:

in wisconsin you can legally buy your kid a drink if he is under 18. when he turns 18 you cant because he is technically an adult.

choose to serve and die for your country, but drink a beer?

You can drink on base if you are under 21.

in wisconsin you can legally buy your kid a drink if he is under 18. when he turns 18 you cant because he is technically an adult.

?????

link pls.

?????

link pls.

i dont have one. i heard it directly from some wisconsin familly who is enrolling their kid at our university.

?????

link pls.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/95wb3.pdf

By law, underage persons and those who provide beverages to them are subject to possible penalties. One of the primary exceptions is for underage persons accompanied by a parent, a guardian, or a spouse who has attained the legal drinking age. There is also an exception for beverages used as part of a religious service.

Interesting Table

Never understood the concept that you could vote, choose to serve and die for your country, but drink a beer? God forbid! You're much too young for that! Now I know it's just the US that's totally F'ed up on this.

Alcohol is a tool of the Devil!

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/95wb3.pdf

By law, underage persons and those who provide beverages to them are subject to possible penalties. One of the primary exceptions is for underage persons accompanied by a parent, a guardian, or a spouse who has attained the legal drinking age. There is also an exception for beverages used as part of a religious service.

consider me stunned.

backing up the statement i originally made:

However, because the amendment applies only to voting, many states have higher age limits for other rights; Utah's minimum age for tobacco use is 19, Nevada and other states have a limit of 21 years for gambling, and though many states had lowered their drinking ages in the 1970s, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 obliged states to set a limit of 21 years for the purchase of alcohol under threat of losing 10% of federal highway construction money.

i wonder if wisconsin told the feds to fock off, or this is some kind of loophole.

consider me stunned.

backing up the statement i originally made:

However, because the amendment applies only to voting, many states have higher age limits for other rights; Utah's minimum age for tobacco use is 19, Nevada and other states have a limit of 21 years for gambling, and though many states had lowered their drinking ages in the 1970s, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 obliged states to set a limit of 21 years for the purchase of alcohol under threat of losing 10% of federal highway construction money.

i wonder if wisconsin told the feds to fock off, or this is some kind of loophole.

Might be a loophole. This has been around for a while though. Certainly, if it was a loophole, it's closed by now. Yet the law remains.

GB Wisconsin!

No one starts drinking at 21 (that has to be a fact!), and when its illegal and your trying to take advantage of it, i think most are more likely to binge when given the chance.

my dad used to buy me a beer when the familly would go out to dinner. i was around 15 or 16 then and i live in montana.

i drank my first 6 pack at the age of 13.