Sign in to follow this  
Whyamiabillsfan

Murky Tennessee backfield

Chris Brown will be the clear cut #1 RB in TEN going into the season...

then he'll get 1 carry, get hurt and it'll be RBBC from there on out... HTH

Rumors out of Nashville is to not be surprised if Henry or Brown is traded. As of right now the Titans are carrying 7 RBs (Brown, Henry, White, Nash, Gaither, Payton, Fleming) which is way to much. Payton or Nash could be cut. Gaither may go practice squad. Financially speaking, it would probably be more wise to trade Brown, who will be looking for a new deal next year anyways, Henry is signed cheap. But the coaching staff hasn't trusted Henry since the suspension last year. Everyone assumes White will be the goal line guy, and Chris Brown is a lousy short yardage guy, so White will likely be the more attractive fantasy option, while Brown should be good for about 800-900 yards, while White might vulture 7-9 TDs. I think Brown could be a decent RB3 in certain matchups, he was a great fantasy player for 3-4 games in a row last season. But before training camp, it's anybody's guess. Fisher has said he wants to run more this year, but that's what every coach says before they're down 25 points in the 3rd quarter.

chris brown is the man until... snap crackle pop. he's out 6 weeks... then RBBC. i don't think white has the skills to be an every down back so chris brown will be the feature back for most of the year and is the much safer pick.

as for the GL carries for White, how many can he get? this offense is pathetic. look at the volek games last year. poochie. they were great two years ago but last year, fugly.

I'm interested in seeing what White can do if given the rock. I have a feeling that he can really turn out to be something. Then again, he could turn out to be Ron Dayne's equal.

As of right now the Titans are carrying 7 RBs (Brown, Henry, White, Nash, Gaither, Payton, Fleming) which is way to much. Payton or Nash could be cut. Gaither may go practice squad. Financially speaking, it would probably be more wise to trade Brown, who will be looking for a new deal next year anyways, Henry is signed cheap. But the coaching staff hasn't trusted Henry since the suspension last year.

###### awesome info. Best post on the 2006 Tenn RB situation I've ever seen.

chris brown is the man until... snap crackle pop. he's out 6 weeks... then RBBC. i don't think white has the skills to be an every down back so chris brown will be the feature back for most of the year and is the much safer pick.

as for the GL carries for White, how many can he get? this offense is pathetic. look at the volek games last year. poochie. they were great two years ago but last year, fugly.

Even the worst offense usually gets to the goal line at least once a game. I personally don't think they will be that bad. But I agree, let's look at the Volek Games last year. Volek's 1 start last year (I believe) wasn't indicative of his talent. He started the game at Arizona, and his two starting receivers were...wait for it....Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams. That's right a couple of 3rd round rookies who were green as grass. And even then Brandon Jones got injured in the game, so in comes Courtney Roby. Well you may say, they still had Chris Brown to open up the defenses, well you'd be wrong, because the main RB was Jarrett Payton, CB got injured early. There you go, Jarrett Payton and his 2.5 YPC. Let's see any QB throw 300 yards and 3 TDs w/ a trio of rookies to throw to and a guy fresh off the practice squad to hand off to. Even with all the adversity his stats weren't terrible in that game. 18/32 198 yds 1 TD 1 INT. I don't think a 56% completion percentage is so bad considering the situation. His other two appearances (Miami, Jacksonville) were in relief work for injured McNair and Mauck, so I'll just say the conditions weren't ideal. Even then, his Miami stats 14/24 132 yds 1 TD weren't terrible by any means. That's a 58% completion percentage, with a 50+ yard bomb TD to Bennett. Let's look at Jacksonville, his stats were 14/25 for 114 and 2 TDs, which was all in 2 quarters. Once again 56% completion percentage. So in his 3 major appearances it looked like this 46/81 444 yds 4 TDs 1 INT. Just glancing at Matt Shaub's stats last year, they're very comparable, and a lot of people think he's a very capable starter in the NFL. This year the conditions are ideal for Volek. He's the named starter, and who knows what he's capapble of working with the A-Team during the whole pre season. Yes I'm an optimistic homer, but I'm just presenting you the facts.

I'm glad I got that off my chest :-)

chris brown is the man until... snap crackle pop. he's out 6 weeks... then RBBC.

I'm not a Chris Brown fan or supporter but as the #1 back in Tennessee the last two years, the kid has missed 6 games. Let's not overexaggerate here.

i don't think white has the skills to be an every down back

Why not? He did most of the inside work at USC and many scouts leading up to his Pro Day thought his skills would translate better to the NFL ground game than Bush's would. He also came up with a huge effort against Texas in the biggest game of them all.

Why not? He did most of the inside work at USC and many scouts leading up to his Pro Day thought his skills would translate better to the NFL ground game than Bush's would. He also came up with a huge effort against Texas in the biggest game of them all.

agreed....I think he can be a top NFL back

This year the conditions are ideal for Volek. He's the named starter, and who knows what he's capapble of working with the A-Team during the whole pre season. Yes I'm an optimistic homer, but I'm just presenting you the facts.

Shh, Volek is going to be the steal of the draft. I'm not talking Peyton Manning good, but he's going to be a top-10 QB for the first half of the season. Sadly, I think he'll still be pulled toward the end of the season for Vince Young when Tennessee loses its shot at a post-season berth. I think he's going to have at least 6-7 solid weeks of play this year though. Unless someone really reaches to grab him, I'm taking him after round 9-11 in every league I'll play this year.

Shh, Volek is going to be the steal of the draft. I'm not talking Peyton Manning good, but he's going to be a top-10 QB for the first half of the season. Sadly, I think he'll still be pulled toward the end of the season for Vince Young when Tennessee loses its shot at a post-season berth. I think he's going to have at least 6-7 solid weeks of play this year though. Unless someone really reaches to grab him, I'm taking him after round 9-11 in every league I'll play this year.

Well, I'm higher on him than most, mainly because the Titans have a seemingly tough schedule this year, and there should be plenty of Volek throwing to catch up. I don't think Fisher will pull him if he's putting up good numbers. But if Volek goes through 1 or 2 bad games in a row, then it could be the end of him.

Even the worst offense usually gets to the goal line at least once a game.

You might want to look up the rushing TD totals for Cleveland, Baltimore, Buffalo and Arizona in 2005.

Because he's lazy, has man boobs, and is as weak as USC's punter.

Guys who won't work out typically don't fare well in the NFL.

Vince Young and Lendale White at Mini Camp

Here's a more recent picture of him, He doesn't look so fat and out of shape there, but looking at Jerome Bettis the last couple of years, you don't have to be a chiseled genetic freak to play RB, if you have good vision and instincts. Plus he will more than likely be eased into the starting role, with him serving as a short yardage guy this year, so he will definitely have time to develop. I take more stock in how he performs in game time situations (USC/Texas) than how fast he can run a 40 or if he has a 6 pack or not. I believe he showed up at minicamp at 237 which was just 2 pounds off his listed weight (235) at USC. I'm not sure if he can handle the full NFL Load, but the good thing is he doesn't have to right now.

Sounds like you've done your homework. :thumbsup:

"Lazy" and "isn't strong/doesn't run strong" were two traits of Shaun Alexander earlier in his career. I'm not extending the comparison any farther than that, but Jeff Fisher can turn him around if LenDale will listen.

but looking at Jerome Bettis the last couple of years, you don't have to be a chiseled genetic freak to play RB, if you have good vision and instincts.

To be a top RB, like some posters here suggested he could, you do. Jerome Bettis hasn't been a top NFL RB for some time - in fact the last time he was in the top 10 fantasy RB's was in 1997. He has averaged over 4 YPC one time since 1997.

"Lazy" and "isn't strong/doesn't run strong" were two traits of Shaun Alexander earlier in his career. I'm not extending the comparison any farther than that, but Jeff Fisher can turn him around if LenDale will listen.

I don't recall Shaun Alexander having man boobs, or only doing 1 strength rep more than his punter. Happen to have a link?

To be a top RB, like some posters here suggested he could, you do. Jerome Bettis hasn't been a top NFL RB for some time - in fact the last time he was in the top 10 fantasy RB's was in 1997. He has averaged over 4 YPC one time since 1997.

Well in 2004 he started 6 regular season games and averaged 123 rushing yards per game. And if you take out all the games he was used just as a 1 yard battering ram into the end zone in 2004 which brought down his YPC, and look at the 9 games he got a featured role in, he averaged 4 yards a carry. He scored 13 times that year which was tied for 4th in the NFL amongst RBs. If he had been featured the entire year, perhaps he would've been considered a top NFL RB for that season, who knows. He was certainly very productive without the best speed or body though. That's for sure.

Well in 2004 he started 6 regular season games and averaged 123 rushing yards per game. And if you take out all the games he was used just as a 1 yard battering ram into the end zone in 2004 which brought down his YPC, and look at the 9 games he got a featured role in, he averaged 4 yards a carry. He scored 13 times that year which was tied for 4th in the NFL amongst RBs. If he had been featured the entire year, perhaps he would've been considered a top NFL RB for that season, who knows. He was certainly very productive without the best speed or body though. That's for sure.

If he has been featured for the entire year, perhaps he would have broken down.

You can try and cherry pick and spin the stats any way you want, but the bottom line is that he hasn't been a top 10 RB since 1997. That's what's for sure.

But the same can be said of Duce Staley, who averaged 107 yds per game before he got inj and gave way to Jerome Bettis. Truth be known, my beer-gutted, man boobed, weak, out of shape self could probably rush for about 90 a game behind that line with the team's dedication to the run. With that in mind, i'm not sold on White (or Reggie Bush for that matter) simply because he played on a team and ran behind a line that VASTLY superior to most of it's competition. You look at a guys like Marshall Faulk and Tomlinson, you just knew both of those guys could do anything, from carry the rock 30 times a game to carry it 10 and catch it 20 times a game. But I think they give White a try and he does average. He'll hawk some goal line TD, but he's not gonna make some's FFL year.

Bottom line for me is that he's in the middle of a "murky backfield" and we don't KNOW how he'll perform.

But while some people are going to judge him by his physique and how his punter performed during workouts -- I am going to stick to watching how he plays when he gets the ball.

But while some people are going to judge him by his physique and how his punter performed during workouts -- I am going to stick to watching how he plays when he gets the ball.

At this point, we don't have any on field performance to judge him by - so if you are sticking to that you don't have a lot to add to the discussion.

This is all we've got. And I'd say it is pretty well established that strength reps have something to do with a guy's ability to perform on the field, which is probably why it's one of the areas they are tested on at the combine.

At this point, we don't have any on field performance to judge him by - so if you are sticking to that you don't have a lot to add to the discussion.

This is all we've got. And I'd say it is pretty well established that strength reps have something to do with a guy's ability to perform on the field, which is probably why it's one of the areas they are tested on at the combine.

That is EXACTLY what is so ridiculous about what you are saying. At this point, we don't have any on field performance to judge him by.

What do you think his high score on Tetris was? How long do you think he could hold his breath underwater?

Your reliance on the combine is what I don't get. If the combine were more accurate, better players wouldn't slip.... and Mike Mamula would have justified a paycheck.

What I'm adding to this discussion is pointing out that your criteria for judging this RB are sorely lacking.

That is EXACTLY what is so ridiculous about what you are saying. At this point, we don't have any on field performance to judge him by.

What do you think his high score on Tetris was? How long do you think he could hold his breath underwater?

Your reliance on the combine is what I don't get. If the combine were more accurate, better players wouldn't slip.... and Mike Mamula would have justified a paycheck.

What I'm adding to this discussion is pointing out that your criteria for judging this RB are sorely lacking.

I guess we might as well just draw rookies out of a hat in dynasty leagues then...

You can make educated guesses about how a player will perform based on this information, oftentimes very accurate guesses. There will of course be players whose talent exceeds what you might suspect based on their measurables, just like there will be players whose talent exceeds their draft position. But more often than not the measurables and draft position will give some indication as to the abilities of the player.

Bringing up things like his Tetris score is obviously ridiculous - they don't test on that as there is no correlation whatsoever between Tetris scores and NFL playing ability.

I guess we might as well just draw rookies out of a hat in dynasty leagues then...

You can make educated guesses about how a player will perform based on this information, oftentimes very accurate guesses. There will of course be players whose talent exceeds what you might suspect based on their measurables, just like there will be players whose talent exceeds their draft position. But more often than not the measurables and draft position will give some indication as to the abilities of the player.

Bringing up things like his Tetris score is obviously ridiculous - they don't test on that as there is no correlation whatsoever between Tetris scores and NFL playing ability.

The only advice I can give you for your dynasty's rookie draft is to avoid selecting players based on how they'd look in a wet T-Shirt contest and on how well their teams' punters worked out.

All I've seen this guy do on the field is move with great burst through the hole and keep his legs pumping until he's down. I am BY NO MEANS qualified to tell you about his fundamental football skills. What I am qualified to tell you is that I've seen the guy play... and from what I saw he was a horse.

Here's my last word and then I'm done... I promise: I am reserving judgement because I've never seen the guy play in the NFL. I take issue with the factors you have used to decide that he won't succeed. In this thread, I didn't see any mention of "top back" or "top-10 back" outside of your posts. I've seen a couple people say that he could be serviceable if he gets the goalline carries. I think depending on the league setup -- that's very possible.

And I'd still like to know his high Tetris score. :thumbsdown:

Although there was speculation that the Titans were trying to trade Chris Brown earlier this offseason, I don't think they'll end up trading either Chris Brown or veteran Travis Henry. There's not really much of a market for either player.

So...the Titans currently have 8 RBs:

Chris Brown, Travis Henry, Lendale White, Jarrett Payton, Damien Nash, Quinton Ganther, Troy Fleming, and Ahmard Hall

IMO, Chris Brown begins the season as the starter, with Lendale serving as his primary backup and Henry will be 3rd on the depth chart. As the season progresses, I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans attempt to establish a RBBC with Brown & White (Brown providing some breakaway speed and White providing some power running).

Despite playing OK (not great) in limited time, I think Payton will be cut.

The Titans will likely choose to keep either Nash or Ganther as a 3rd-down RB--something they haven't had and could use, specifically in obvious passing downs. IMO, Ganther wins out as he's supposedly a really good blocking and receiving RB.

Also, Fleming and rookie FA Hall will compete for the fullback role. Fleming is a better runner/receiver, but Hall is likely a much-better blocker. There is also an outside chance that both could be cut as there has been some speculation (from HC Fisher, I believe) that TE Bo Scaife (who played REALLY well last season) could be converted into a TE/FB role.

In the end, I think it shakes out like this:

RB1a: Chris Brown (good yardage, low TDs)

RB1b: Lendale White (OK yardage, good TDs)

RB2: Travis Henry (backup/spot duty only)

3RD-DOWN RB: Quinton Ganther

FB: Troy Fleming

That tenderfoot biotch Alexander still doesn't "run strong".. never has...

In this thread, I didn't see any mention of "top back" or "top-10 back" outside of your posts.

agreed....I think he can be a top NFL back

Well, you might want to read a little closer next time....

Chris Brown looks like a decent #3 RB. Any thing else....:thumbsup:

I hate the Chris Brown injury stuff. He played in 15 games last year for cripes sake. Started 14 of them. Not sure why he missed the last game.

He plays on a terrible team at the moment. Henry isn't a threat. White has talent but with his attitude he could dig himself a T.O sized hole in a week.

Great 3rd RB, if he's your 2nd rb, you better have some WR firepower.