Sign in to follow this  
daboyz22

Draft Order

I just been informed by our commish and that some folks in my league think we should go to a normal draft order instead of a wraparound style. we have a 12 team league with 1 carry-over player per year. their argument is the teams at the end (10-12) have an advantage over the 1st team that has to wait 23 picks later to choose again.

i argued that #1 team has an advantage because more than likely they have a pretty strong carry-over player even though they finished last the prior season, they get the best player left out in the market (after all the carry over picks). plus they will get the 13th best remaining player without the wraparound and continually have an advantage in each subsequent round.

can anyone tell me if people use the normal draft technique and how they can argue against the wraparound?

btw we are also implementing a rule that you can only carryover a player drafted in the 2nd round or later so the first pick has even a bigger advantage now.

comments? thanks!

be nice, some must aspire to geekdom.

to asnwer your question daboy, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. with only 1 keeper, it muddies the waters even more. If you had 3 or even 2 keepers, then the standard is fine. With only 1, i wouldnt want to go to the normal draft.

:mellow: WOW.....Wraparound?....Quite the Newbie Here?

well not quite the newbie, but i guess im not familiar with all the lingo. any advice from more experience?

You could argue that the winner for the past (insert how many year's your league has been in existence here) has not always been from the 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th spot but consistently comes from the (insert data here).

Also try searching. This link may help with the arguement I am suggesting.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...c=218251&hl

HTH

so let me get this straight, your solution to a perceived problem which in reality doesn't exist, is to totally screw the number 10 ,11, 12 guys.

Tell the people who have a problem with the wrap around to take a statistics course, maybe then they can wrap there head around why the wrap around is mathmatically the fairest draft system by far.

That seems silly.

One player does not make or break a team. If the keepers were 3,4,5 deep I guess i could somewhat justify this type of draft. But you only have one keeper. The #1 pick would always have better players then the guys picking after him.

1>2-12

13>14-24

25>26-36

That is too big of an advantage. At least with a serpentine draft 1 + 24 = 12 + 13, in theory at least.

If everyone is complaining the try for an auction style draft instead.

What he said (almost)

I commissioned several leagues over theyears that occasionally used the standard draft. The main advantage is that everyone is always an equal number away from their next pick. Other than that I'm not sure there's any advantage to it. I tend to like it that way, but most non-auction drafts nowadays seem to be serpentine (wraparound).

The way I would recommend:

Each team can keep a player, but that doesn't have to come out of the first round pick slot. Randomize the draft order, and snake all the way through. Then, if there is any perceived notion of unbalance, it was completely based on luck. But, as has been stated here, there is no method more fair than the "snake draft*"

*using the term "snake draft" will allow you to avoid the "wraparound" usage, which gets a giggle out of the boys since it is often used as a homosexual reference. i.e., "My commissioner vetoed the trade, thereby screwing me in the ass, and not having the courtesy of giving me a wraparound."

**"reacharound" is another one to avoid

wraparound = serpentine

carry-over player = keeper

You're on your way to becoming a full fledged geek!

I'm in a keeper league where you can keep 0-5 players and lose a pick each round per player kept. We do a hybrid with standard for the first 6 rounds, then serpentine for the rest. The standard picks are based on reverse finish the prior year, the serpentine is a draw of cards.

This has the benefit of helping the worse teams some early on, then evening out later.

Just a thought.