Sign in to follow this  
fastfish

terror politics: are the Dems and the GOP the same?

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB1155...MDExNTA4Wj.html

excerpt:

The Connecticut primary reveals that the center of gravity in the Democratic Party has moved, from the lunch-bucket working class that was the dominant constituency up through the 1960s to the secular transnational professional class that was the dominant constituency in the 2004 presidential cycle. You can see the results on the map. Joe Lieberman carried by and large the same cities and towns that John F. Kennedy carried in the 1960 presidential general election

The working class Democrats of the mid-20th century voted their interests, and knew that one of their interests was protecting the nation in which they were proud to live. The professional class Democrats of today vote their ideology and, living a life in which they are insulated from adversity, feel free to imagine that America cannot be threatened by implacable enemies. They can vote to validate their lifestyle choices and their transnational attitudes.

In the mid-20th century the core constituencies of both the Democratic and the Republican Parties stood foursquare for America's prosecution of World War II and the Cold War. Today, as the Connecticut results suggest, it's different. The core constituency of the Republican Party stands foursquare for America's prosecution of the global struggle against Islamofascist terrorism -- and solidly on the side of Israel in its struggle against the same forces. The core constituency of the Democratic Party wants to stand aside from the global struggle -- and, as the presence of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton at Mr. Lamont's side on election night suggests, is not necessarily on the side of Israel. It's not your father's Democratic Party.

THIS IS A BATTLE FOR OUR LIVES!! - FOR OUR VERY HUMANITY!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - CAN'T YOU SEE THAT!! :headbanger:

Sorry FF, your post just seem to be a little lite on the FastFish dramatics & hyperbole. - Thought I'd help. :doublethumbsup:

THIS IS A BATTLE FOR OUR LIVES!! - FOR OUR VERY HUMANITY!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - CAN'T YOU SEE THAT!! :doh:

Sorry FF, your post just seem to be a little lite on the FastFish dramatics & hyperbole. - Thought I'd help. :first:

I think today's news is plain enough for even a dancing banana goof like you lil' wiffle...when will you accept that reality is not hyperbole? You use that word like a magic wand to make you fear subside?

What does this have to do with the gay agenda?

The Democrats ultimate goal is legallized sex with children. Sheesh, doesn't everybody know this? :dunno:

nothin' I guess..except these Islamists would be as tolerant towards gays as they would be having their women being the head of their household.

if homo's really understood what living under Islam would mean to their community, they'd all become born again neo-cons tomorrow.

:dunno:

Ya ever think they voted for Lamont b/c Lieberman is a douche?

or because they--like the rest of the majority of the country, CT or otherwise--think continuing to back the same course in Iraq without any exit strategy, pretending it's all going well, is a monumentally stupid position to take?

It's so pathetic that everyone from Ken Mehlman to Tony Snow to ###### Cheney for crisssakes is trying to make a majority revulsion with Iraq equivalent to signaling defeat in the war on terror. They didn't have anything to do with each other before the invasion, and they have barely more to do with each other now. Lamont backs Israel's war against Hezbollah in exactly the same way as Lieberman, he claims. He supported the war in Afghanistan. It's only this disastrous diversion in Iraq that makes him mad, and in that capacity he is as fully in step with mainstream America as he could be. It's the WSJ that is on the kook fringe on that one.

Lamont supports Israel's fight for life the same as Lieberman does? I see you've had a pipe and now are ready to talk the usual sh!t (do the kids know you get high every single day?)

Lamont's win is a victory for the fringe left..it will be short lived. The grown-ups in the Dem Party, especially after today, are gonna quietly send this Lamont boy home. Lieberman romps home to the Senate come November WITH DEM BLESSINGS.

But beyond that obvious truth, let's examine the Lamont victory on a national level. Michael Moore Dem libs are in la-la land if they think America is ready to surrender in Iraq or anywhere else...all predictions of a Dem takeover of Congress are way premature.

Americans don't give up in the face of the enemy. This country is not France...as much as the libs wish it.

A few points.

First, the article is very accurate to show that the traditional labor union Democrats are declining in influence in the Democratic party. The article is correct IMO regarding Labor Union Dems who don't generally give two sh*ts about gay rights and many are pro-life Catholics right up Lieberman's alley, their concern is more job/work related. Black activists and intellectuals, on the other hand remain a strong Dem constituency.

Second, Michael Moore is not in the intellectual wing of the Democractic Party, he's very solidly in the blue collar working class wing. He's from Flint for Christ's sake which is ground zero for closed factories and displaced manufacturing workers and such movies as "Roger and Me" and even much of "Farenheit 9/11" demonstrates this. Also regarding F911,

Third, the Dems have a history- more recent since the start of Vietnam through today- of being very pacificist in international affairs. That made them look silly in the Cold War and burned them in Gulf War I. In both those instances, the GOP president had to get things done over and around Democratic opposition. When, finally, pacificm and reality coincided, most Dems were out to lunch and just joined up with the Bushtard anyways. Now that things have turned bad, and it was obvious this would happen before we invaded (cough cough anybody remember my posts at the time?) the Dems were looking for excuses. The Democratic party's ability to forment a clue on how to respond to matters of national defense and war during GOP presidencies has been abysmal in my lifetime. Now Clinton had a good foreign policy, otherwise the Dem's record stinks.

Fourth, Bush's foreign policy does nothing to prevent terrorisism and only makes matters worse. He's totally been played by Osama bin Laden, sacking a bin Laden antagonist, distracting himself from Afghanistan, laying helpless while NK and Iran develop nuclear capability full speed ahead, and having youthful male Muslims the world over seethingwith hatred towards us and basicly, doing exactly what bin Laden predicted we would do. Osama totally plays Bush, like Microsoft did to IBM in the early years or like Will is doing to the season six alliance in the Big Brother house. He couldn't write the story any better.

Lamont supports Israel's fight for life the same as Lieberman does? I see you've had a pipe and now are ready to talk the usual sh!t (do the kids know you get high every single day?)

Lamont's win is a victory for the fringe left..it will be short lived. The grown-ups in the Dem Party, especially after today, are gonna quietly send this Lamont boy home. Lieberman romps home to the Senate come November WITH DEM BLESSINGS.

But beyond that obvious truth, let's examine the Lamont victory on a national level. Michael Moore Dem libs are in la-la land if they think America is ready to surrender in Iraq or anywhere else...all predictions of a Dem takeover of Congress are way premature.

Americans don't give up in the face of the enemy. This country is not France...as much as the libs wish it.

i find it amazing that you can sit here and talk about a fight for the lives of the israelis when in fact two soldiers, not every single israeli, were kidnapped and the reasoning behind the kidnapping was for hezbollah to show solidarity with palestine and retribution for Israel detaining several non-hamas palestinain leaders.

Don't get me wrong what hezbollah did and what they stand for may not be right in our eyes, but to respond so vicously to that kidnapping including killing people who are not at all involved except that hezbollah walks among them and in the middle of this fight hezbollah actually brings food and supplies to trapped families.

finally you condem hamas for doing basically what the former prime minister of israel did in breaking israel away from english rule. You dont' get it both ways.

retribution for Israel detaining several non-hamas palestinain leaders.

Somehow this fact escaped me, can you provide a link please?

i find it amazing that you can sit here and talk about a fight for the lives of the israelis when in fact two soldiers, not every single israeli, were kidnapped and the reasoning behind the kidnapping was for hezbollah to show solidarity with palestine and retribution for Israel detaining several non-hamas palestinain leaders.

Don't get me wrong what hezbollah did and what they stand for may not be right in our eyes, but to respond so vicously to that kidnapping including killing people who are not at all involved except that hezbollah walks among them and in the middle of this fight hezbollah actually brings food and supplies to trapped families.

finally you condem hamas for doing basically what the former prime minister of israel did in breaking israel away from english rule. You dont' get it both ways.

:pointstosky: :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

some of it

it gets incredibly murky, now I relaize al jazeera has adecided liberal slant so. . .this guy might just hate jews

This guy is part of Hamas, it says so right in the first sentance.

Edited.. the 2nd link also only talks about Hamas leaders being captured.

This guy is part of Hamas, it says so right in the first sentance.

uh yes, the palestinian government is run by hamas.

Yes, he does. He was asked the question and said their views on the matter are equivalent. I don't like it, but it's so.

uh yes, the palestinian government is run by hamas.

They captured some government ministers from the political wing of Hamas. I think you misspoke when you said that they captured several non-Hamas Plaestinian leaders. Both links are to Hamas.

But maybe your point is that Israel did captured Hamas political leaders, not Hamas military ones. Now, I don't know enough about the situation to say how seperate the military and political wings of Hamas are nor do I know anything about the backgrounds of these ministers taken. But it seems that te ones captured were Hamas.

They captured some government ministers from the political wing of Hamas. I think you misspoke when you said that they captured several non-Hamas Plaestinian leaders. Both links are to Hamas.

But maybe your point is that Israel did captured Hamas political leaders, not Hamas military ones. Now, I don't know enough about the situation to say how seperate the military and political wings of Hamas are nor do I know anything about the backgrounds of these ministers taken. But it seems that te ones captured were Hamas.

I apologise, I did misspeak. From what UI've gathered in finding those links there is a growing rift between political and military wings of hamas.