Sign in to follow this  
gottabesweet84

Bears vs. 49ers game thread

Gore v. Barlow?

Won't be very educational...I'm sure they'll both play, RBBC ensues.

Veron Davis?

Very interested to see how well the line protects Alex Smith, if he has time to hit any of his targets. Davis has speed that's faster than most RBs in the league - and he's a massive target. I cannot imagine anyone covering him well, but I want to see it for myself. I think the 6th overall pick's performance is one of the things to watch for sure.

WR2 in Chicago still useless?

What does Rex hurt?

lol

You left out a couple things though:

1. Eric Johnson. with all the VDavis talk, EJ has really slid under the radar. Today they replayed an interview with nolan from last week, where he's saying that Johnson is going to be a huge part of their passing game...his health is a concern, but it could be TEBC in Ninerland too.

2. Antonio Bryant. I am very interested to see how the offense gels with a WR who's actually willing to block. Lloyd is a pile.

3. This is the 1st Niner team I can remember that has abandoned the WCO. I love Turners grind and shoot offense, and it'll be interesting to see if the simplified approach of pounding the ball and opening up the play action bomb will help Smith. I am excited just to see the game plan...there are some very talented pieces in this offense, and if they can entertain me this year I won't care if they go 5-11....I haven't been entertained by Niners football in several years and it's overdue.

1st preseason game though...not going to read in too much beyond the 1st quarter (or however long the 1st string is on the field). It's probably more exciting for Niner fans than FFB geeks though...I don't expect a fantasy gold mine in SF this year. Might get a glimps of the future though...

Is Robinson going to play?

I am also interested. This is a guy drawing huge praise. It's been said again and again that he has been impossible to ignore, and that he just keeps "showing up". when asked what the meant, Nolan elaborated that every time he touches the ball good things happen. That he's a playmaker, and reminds Nolan of Marcus Allen...he's always running north. Always pushing for the endzone...a real playmaker.

Now I'm not on the bandwagon yet, but that's pretty high praise for a guy I thought was a "what the hell?" draft pick in the 3rd round.

Will he line up at WR? RB? H-Back? I have no idea how Nolan is going to use him, but the way he talks, it's sounding like Robinson will be part of the picture in 2006.

Bears "Superbowl ready" team 3rd & 10, turnover against the worst team on Earth if you listen to the FFT masses.

Bears fans: enjoy your 2-14 season. :doh:

Alex Smith. 2:2, A.Bryant with the money catch. Projected for 5000 yards.

Niners D looks like a Nolan defense.

wow. :blink:

2 turnovers, 1 TD, 2 tipped/defended passes.

Dominating Pressure on the QB, forcing mistakes.

Bears can't get anything done and this looks like a sick defensive unit. Lawson is a nice addition. :cheers:

I cant get the game here... where is V. Davis... is he even playing???

10-0 niners, Smith playing smart football. Davis has come in twice and both times on run plays.

He's not been targeted.

Smith is throwing on the run, rolling out. he's 8-11 for 72 yds.

Gore looks scary

ETA - he just got targeted. 0/1

Niners DOMINATE 1st quarter.

so apparently carnies and grossman both have small hands...

but at least he didn't get hurt when he fumbled...did he? :blink:

so apparently carnies and grossman both have small hands...

but at least he didn't get hurt when he fumbled...did he? :blink:

Bears look horrid. They shoulda left in their 1st string D...they need the practice. :wacko:

Smith to Bryant....that is going to be said a lot this year.

Bryant a WR3 STUD in PPR leagues.

5-54

Smith-watch: 14/18 - 119 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

Alex Smith...sleeper? :dunno:

I am looking at him as a 3rd QB and if I can land him for $1 or maybe $2, I'll be happy. he will still struggle some but I could see him getting 15 TD's this year.

Bears look horrid. They shoulda left in their 1st string D...they need the practice. :dunno:

Smith to Bryant....that is going to be said a lot this year.

Bryant a WR3 STUD in PPR leagues.

5-54

Smith-watch: 14/18 - 119 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

so if griese comes in and does even "okay"...is this the start of a qb controversy? yeah, yeah, it's only preseaon...but grossman's stat line is horrid tonight.

Gore....1 yard TD now. He, Bryant, A Smith look really good. I am impressed!

not to mention the D pitching a shutout, with 2 FF turnovers, one for a TD.

Smithwatch: 16/21 137 yds. Shoulda had a TD pass to Eric Johnson but he got taken down...

Smith's hit 5 different receivers.

so if griese comes in and does even "okay"...is this the start of a qb controversy? yeah, yeah, it's only preseaon...but grossman's stat line is horrid tonight.

If Griese looks good...than yes. The start of a QB controversy begins. Rex has overthrown many guys tonight, and I'm not impressed whatsoever.

No work for Barlow? 2 carries 2 yards?

Jack. Gore is officially the man until further evidence of the contrary. I eat every word I've said about Barlow this preseason.

Strange he didn't get more than 2 carries though. :huh:

Strange he didn't get more than 2 carries though. :huh:

Nolan is resting his stud? :huh:

Gore is officially the man until further evidence of the contrary. I eat every word I've said about Barlow this preseason.

Props to football_scooter for being able to admit he's wrong. Not many people would do that. :huh:

Although, I'm not ready to anoint Gore as the starter until I see what Barlow has to offer. Gore looked awfully good though.

Nolan is resting his stud? :huh:

Apparently Gore is the stud.

And the OC is Norv Turner. Just a tip.

C'Mon Zap...you're just jealous because your QB is Aaron Brooks. :P

Props to football_scooter for being able to admit he's wrong. Not many people would do that. :huh:

:wub:

No choice. Many's the time I've said that I would rather have my team do well and get egg on my face for being wrong.

And for FFB-ers everywhere, if there's 1 back in SF that's a win for us all in the 6th round.

Griese to Gabe Reid...TD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WATCH THE GAME, BUT ESPN.COM IS SHOWING A 17-0 SCORE. IS THAT WRONG?

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times, Brian Griese is the best QB in the NFC North, period. I'm a Vikes fan and wish he was backing up Brad instead of McMahon. The dude has a career 60+ completion percentage.

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times, Brian Griese is the best QB in the NFC North, period. I'm a Vikes fan and wish he was backing up Brad instead of McMahon. The dude has a career 60+ completion percentage.

i got faith in Gross. maybe i'm just a homer. or maybe it's because i'm about to buy his jersey to wear at my draft.

Well all I know is that Griese is on with his passes and looks very comfortable. Rex looked very uncomfortable...as Coach Ditka said.

I know it's only 1 game, but I am very unhappy with Rex today.

Don't get me wrong, i think Grossman could be decent and he may have one advantage over Griese: Griese though I like him, does throw some bonehead balls on occassion. But he was very good last year for Tampa before he got hurt, and I think he would be great in a west coast system. Not sure what Lovie runs down there in Chicago.

I think Griese should have started in Denver (and they should have left Plummer in Arizona)

I think Griese should have started in Tampa Bay over Chris Simms.

Now I think Griese should start over Rex Grossman.

What's wrong with these teams, they don't know jack @#$! about talent.

FYI, I believe Tavarias Jackson is going to be a GREAT starting QB for years!

OOOOOHHH MY God....Griese to Rasheed Davis for the 41 yard TD!!!!!!

PERFECT PASS!!!!!!

HOLY #$%^!!!!!!!!!!!

:doublethumbsup:

I think Griese should have started in Denver (and they should have left Plummer in Arizona)

I think Griese should have started in Tampa Bay over Chris Simms.

Now I think Griese should start over Rex Grossman.

What's wrong with these teams, they don't know jack @#$! about talent.

FYI, I believe Tavarias Jackson is going to be a GREAT starting QB for years!

In future years, not this or the next. They say Tavarius has the tools, the brains, and the work ethic, but I think to be ready he needs to ride pine for 2 years like Rivers.

I agree 100% on Griese getting the shaft year in year out, though he has had some injury problems.

<preseason>

rants

</preseason>

come on, Griese WAS a 1st string QB, now he is picking on SFs(#32 D) 2nd or 3rd string D and doing well.... i wonder why???

no QB controversy, the 1stQ is the only one that matters and that doesnt even tell that much

please.....

Jack. Gore is officially the man until further evidence of the contrary. I eat every word I've said about Barlow this preseason.

Strange he didn't get more than 2 carries though. :doublethumbsup:

There go half your posts a day. Seriously though I've been a fan of Gore's since he was 18, the only thing that could have stopped him from shining is whether he came back all the way from his injuries, it's not Barlow's fault, Gore at 100% would beat out McGahee for the starting job.

I admit Rex looked lost. But his WRs were REALLY not getting open. Da coach was remarking on almost every pass play about how the WRs were not beating the bump and run- this was while Muhsin and the starters were still playing (hard to know for sure, due to camera angles). There was also a 9 route run by Bradley where he DIDN'T get bumped at all and the corner was able to run right with him the whole route, Rex tried to drop the ball in, but the corner was in position and almost intercepted it. NOT a good sign when da Bears really need a burner to go opposite the prototypical possession WR that is Mushy. But at least they went out and fulfilled a major offseason need and signed a TE. Oh wait...

If you think there's a QB controversy now, we haven't even seen Orton!