Sign in to follow this  
bzengler

Tell me I am not crazy

OK, I pick 11 and 14 in a 12 team league. With my first pick I am going to take the best RB out there (Cadilac, Ronnie Brown, Steven Jackson, or LaMont Jordan, depending on how the first round goes). I had been planning on taking a top flight WR (I have been consistently weak at WR every year). But the more I think about it, the more I am thinking that I may take Reggie Bush at 2.02, then taking WR with the next two picks. Let me know what you guys think. We start 1 QB, 2RB, 1 Flex, 3 WR, TE, K, and DE/ST. Thanks for any insight you can provide

He would have to rush for ~1200+ yards and 8-10 scores at the least to justify this pick... You are paying a huge premium for upside...

always an idiot who forces a sexy pick...same people that overdraft Vick year in and year out

PPR? Not crazy, and I have every reason to think it will be validated

Non ppr - reach, but possible.

I don't think there has ever been a higher risk reward player in the history of the FFL. I am on the wagon, hell I'm driving it.

It is a redraft nonppr league. The only reason I am thinking about doing this is because when it comes time for my 3rd round pick, there will probably be no starting caliber running backs left. Maybe I should go for McGahee, J. Jones, or K. Jones? Or should I just go with a WR?

It is a redraft nonppr league. The only reason I am thinking about doing this is because when it comes time for my 3rd round pick, there will probably be no starting caliber running backs left. Maybe I should go for McGahee, J. Jones, or K. Jones? Or should I just go with a WR?

Get a Top 3 WR - you may have a shot a Bush at 3.11. I've seen him go all over the place in mocks.

Forget for a second that people keep lying to you and saying Bush is the next coming of Barry Sanders. He's going to split time with Deuce Mc, on an offense that lost two key linemen this season, with a QB that's trying to learn the offense (and had off-season shoulder surgery), with a new HC, in a city that still has problems that will still likely bleed over onto the field somewhat. After all that, it bears mentioning that this is still the New Orleans 'Aints.

Oh, did I mention he's a rookie?

If anyone picks Bush in the 2nd round in a normal redraft league, they've drowned in the Kool-Aid. Paying that much for an unproven commodity based completely on upside is almost always FF suicide.

I'm a huge Bush fan but I can't see taking him there. If S Smith, Holt or CJ is there then you have to take the stud wr. Sure Bush has upside but these guys barring injury are guaranteed studs who will win you titles. Now if those 3 wr's were gone I'd consider Bush if that's who YOU really like. Screw the masses, do what you think is right.

I'd go with your original idea of grabbing a top flight WR and hope that Bush falls to you in the third.

IMHO

...is almost always FF suicide.

You were so sure of yorself, but then you left your self a way out :lol:

I'll tell you one thing... no one will ever feel comfortable playing against Bush (in fantasy or real) and you ar also discounting the way he will surely alter gameplans. Here's a good example... If Bush and Deuce are on the field and it's 2nd and 3:

Cover Bush with a LB? Good luck to that LB.

Do you put a nickel back in to cover Bush? - Deuce powers his way to a first down

Bring up a safety to cover him? - Joe Horn is good and likely one on one. And an LB still will need to cover Deuce.

I'm waiting until tonight to see how Bush does. And if I'm impressed again, then I hope he'll fall to me at 3.2.

If it's a PPR, and not a serious money league, I'd take a shot on Reggie.

One of my leagues counts PPR, extra points for receiving RB's, and 20 pts. per return yard. I was glad to take a shot at Reggie at pick 17.

FYI, Bush fell to me in the 4th, I would maybe target him 3rd round at the earliest. Huge upside with him, but most people will not be willing to spend a 2nd on him...so there is a good chance you can take your WR with that 2nd pick and still get Bush with your 3rd.

I think his value will increase as the season goes on, and there is a good chance McCallister misses time at some point giving him the bulk of the load.

You have to figure if you take him in round 2, you are banking on him being solid enough to be your #2 back. I would feel safe with him in a flex spot but not want to rely on him as my #2 every week at this point.

You were so sure of yorself, but then you left your self a way out :argue:

I said "almost" because, really, rookie phenoms happen. If he does select Bush in round two and Bush ends up posting a Portis-like rookie season, I am not going to pat him on the back and say "Gosh man! You're a damn visionary!" I'll chalk it up to a poor decision that paid off. It's like hitting your 2-out draw on the river in Hold'Em. It happens. Bet on it consistently, or even just follow your gut feel, and you'll be broke quickly.

Personally, I've stated it on here more than once -- I see Bush being the next Eric Metcalf. Electrifying player who made a few Pro Bowls, but will never sniff the HoF. Bush is getting HoF hype and I don't buy it. I guess if you really buy it and want to bank your FF season on it, take Bush in the second. Hell, put it in your sig, pound your chest, and be loud and proud about it.

I don't see Bush making it past mid/late 2nd or very early 3rd round in 90% of competitve drafts with ppr. Everyone says just hope you get him in the 3rd. If it's not fairly early in the 3rd then chances are he's gone. There is always a few guys every year that I will "reach" for if I really want them. Last year it was LJ in the mid 4th round, people laughed. It's only 1 pick, hell KJ was my first rounder and I still was fortunate enough to win my league. Do these reaches burn you alot of times? Sure, but the rewards can be huge at times too. I think people put way too much emphasis on taking a shot with one of your early picks when most leagues are won via the total draft and not just one good/bad round. I don't see a problem taking Bush after the top 3-4 stud wr's are gone even though personally I wouldn't do it as I'm not quite that high on him. Good for the people who say I got him in the 4th round, some of us don't play with idiots.

I said "almost" because, really, rookie phenoms happen. If he does select Bush in round two and Bush ends up posting a Portis-like rookie season, I am not going to pat him on the back and say "Gosh man! You're a damn visionary!" I'll chalk it up to a poor decision that paid off. It's like hitting your 2-out draw on the river in Hold'Em. It happens. Bet on it consistently, or even just follow your gut feel, and you'll be broke quickly.

Personally, I've stated it on here more than once -- I see Bush being the next Eric Metcalf. Electrifying player who made a few Pro Bowls, but will never sniff the HoF. Bush is getting HoF hype and I don't buy it. I guess if you really buy it and want to bank your FF season on it, take Bush in the second. Hell, put it in your sig, pound your chest, and be loud and proud about it.

Actually, it's not me who is visionary... it's the media, coaches, and just about everyone else who has informed me he is something special. The only people on record who really doubt Bush's capabilities are fantasy football owners like us.

I think he is at the very least, a (real world) game changing player ala Mike Vick. Fantasy Football takes away from players like Vick. Every coach, and defensive player in the league think he is a stud (despite his shortcomings as a passer). Bush is the same. Whether is translates to fantasy success remains to be seen, but I am banking on him catching a lot of balls and being very solid to spectacular in PPR's.

This is the absolute earliest I would grab him........

1. LT

2. SA

3. LJ

4. Tiki

5. Portis

6. Jackson

7. Ronnie

8. Caddy

9. Peyton

10.Edge

11.Rudi

12.Lamont

13.Steve Smith

14.Westbrook

15.Tory Holt

16.Chad Johnson

17.Maghee

18. Reggie Bush

Actually, it's not me who is visionary... it's the media, coaches, and just about everyone else who has informed me he is something special. The only people on record who really doubt Bush's capabilities are fantasy football owners like us.

I think he is at the very least, a (real world) game changing player ala Mike Vick. Fantasy Football takes away from players like Vick. Every coach, and defensive player in the league think he is a stud (despite his shortcomings as a passer). Bush is the same. Whether is translates to fantasy success remains to be seen, but I am banking on him catching a lot of balls and being very solid to spectacular in PPR's.

I think the media sells it a lot more than anyone else. Knowledgeable football people know that the things Bush did in college won't work in the pros. They also see enough tangible talent and measurables to spend a first-round draft pick on him. If he turns out to be coachable, then he could truly be great. If he tries to do like so many bust RBs have done int he past and rely on what got him to this point, he won't do so well. If he turns into Leon ... well, maybe he'll make some funny commercials.

As for his fantasy prospects, I see enough examples from every point on the spectrum to not really think of it in those terms. It depends so much on the system that you have to pay more attention to that. Put Roethlisberger in Houston. Put Brady in SF. Put Manning in NE. Put Manning on the Steelers. Bush's success this year will be tied to his level of coachability and the players around him that his talent level really doesn't play into it as heavily as many think. When you consider that, it becomes clearer why rookies have a hard time.

Even on Bush's long run last week, it was a busted play where he couldn't get to the edge. And he is not going to be able to get to the edge consistently in the NFL. He was fortunate that the backside defender lost containment and he was able to use the one true asset he has - speed. And good for him, I say. I am just not willing to bet he's going to be able to consistently do those things in his rookie year.

Forget for a second that people keep lying to you and saying Bush is the next coming of Barry Sanders. He's going to split time with Deuce Mc, on an offense that lost two key linemen this season, with a QB that's trying to learn the offense (and had off-season shoulder surgery), with a new HC, in a city that still has problems that will still likely bleed over onto the field somewhat. After all that, it bears mentioning that this is still the New Orleans 'Aints.

Oh, did I mention he's a rookie?

If anyone picks Bush in the 2nd round in a normal redraft league, they've drowned in the Kool-Aid. Paying that much for an unproven commodity based completely on upside is almost always FF suicide.

As much as I have respected everything you have written when it comes to the Texans and the last thing I would want to do is disagree with you, Texan fan's have to take a back seat on the Bush issue. Their (not yours necessarily) judgment is clouded by the tears that filled their eyes on draft day when they hoped for Vince, then Reggie and instead got Mario. They've justifiably had to convince themselves that the Texans knew what they were doing. Intellectualization is simply denial by an educated person.

Now, me being a Trojan fan, who also lived in the 619, obviously my objectivity is unremarkable. In my "unbiased" and intellectual opinion, Bush will be fun to watch. If you are grabbing an RB in the second round, it is filled with nothing but suspect players this year. Why not take the guy who can singlehandedly make your FF season worth watching? There should still be a decent 3rd RB at pick 35 or 38 (Dillon, Gore or K.Jones).

As much as I have respected everything you have written when it comes to the Texans and the last thing I would want to do is disagree with you, Texan fan's have to take a back seat on the Bush issue. Their (not yours necessarily) judgment is clouded by the tears that filled their eyes on draft day when they hoped for Vince, then Reggie and instead got Mario. They've justifiably had to convince themselves that the Texans knew what they were doing. Intellectualization is simply denial by an educated person.

Now, me being a Trojan fan, who also lived in the 619, obviously my objectivity is unremarkable. In my "unbiased" and intellectual opinion, Bush will be fun to watch. If you are grabbing an RB in the second round, it is filled with nothing but suspect players this year. Why not take the guy who can singlehandedly make your FF season worth watching? There should still be a decent 3rd RB at pick 35 or 38 (Dillon, Gore or K.Jones).

Well, my stance, as it pertains to your comments, was always trade down and take D'Brick. I posted as much on here. Failing that, my position was take anyone except Bush or VY. It's not that I have anything against either of those players, and I certainly like VY a ton (just ambivalent on Bush), but this team needs so many other things and RB/QB were not really in the top 10 list of problems with the team.

So I can see what you're saying about the Texans fan thing, but I assure you, I was jumping for joy when they took Mario and I am even more excited about our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Bush can be great elsewhere - I wish him the best.

Well, my stance, as it pertains to your comments, was always trade down and take D'Brick. I posted as much on here. Failing that, my position was take anyone except Bush or VY. It's not that I have anything against either of those players, and I certainly like VY a ton (just ambivalent on Bush), but this team needs so many other things and RB/QB were not really in the top 10 list of problems with the team.

So I can see what you're saying about the Texans fan thing, but I assure you, I was jumping for joy when they took Mario and I am even more excited about our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Bush can be great elsewhere - I wish him the best.

Hence - why I have the utmost respect for your comments on the Texan threads. I know this goes against the fantasy grain, but every so often, I take a guy just because I like him. Bush made watching Trojan football fun. I'm hoping I will be continuing to say the same thing now that he's on the next level.

That could possibly be the highest a non-starter has ever went in a draft, especially a redraft.

Is it just me or does it seem like Bush is going to have an kind of expanded Chris Perry role for the Saints this season? If that is the case you have to have a pretty big pair to take him 14th in a redraft.

I think that it is a little high and I like Bush a lot.

I am in a keeper/auction league and almost every good RB is already gone. I have 2 decent RB's and a solid WR sewn up, but the issue is money. I think that I can get Bush for the $25 neighborhood, making him a moderately high priced, but not ridiculously expensive player. Players that go a lot higher get hurt and owners can usually get over it, so I never really look at it as wasting a pick.

My opinion here is that Bush is the better RB on that team, especially considering the injury that McAllister is coming from. He didn't look very good last night, (not that anyone did), but Bush is the face of the team now and there are $61 million reasons to get him in there early and often. If your offensive line is questionable then sending a gimpy downhill runner up the gut isn't a recipe for success. And if last night didn't prove anything else, it showed that bringing Bush in means that he is getting the ball and the entire defense will jump him. They will need to keep him on the field more often to make him effective, even if he isn't getting the ball.

I see him as the ultimate boon or bust pick this year and also as the only RB who needs less than 20 carries to put up great numbers. He is one of 2 or 3 guys that doesn't need good blocking to be productive and he can potentially score from anywhere on the field at any time.

I think that there will be some lean games in there, but if he does break out he will kill you if he isn't on your team.

You would have had to be mighty impressed with his 4 carries for 7 yards last night to draft him that high.

You have to go best available to a point especially early. If the value of getting 3rd or 4th tier RB in the second round outweighs the value of a top flight wr go ahead and make that pick.

Well, thanks for all of your input. I've decided that I will probably take the top RB left at the end of the 1st, and then a top WR (hopefully Chad Johnson).

You would have had to be mighty impressed with his 4 carries for 7 yards last night to draft him that high.

Using the final stat line from a pre-season game is ridiculous. We might as well throw in the towel on Alexander, Edge, Portis and LT. If you watched the game, the Saints were 3 and out the first three series when McAllister was in. The offense completely stalled (Bush was involved in one play where there was nothing and he lost 1-2 yards). Bush came in against the first team defense and the Saints were able to move the ball in every series thereafter. If you're in a PPR league, Bush had two catches in one quarter. While I don't expect 8 receptions a game, 4-6 is realistic. He adds too many dimensions to the offense to relegate him to the role of a back-up. It may not happen overnight, but Bush will be the focal point of the Saints offense this year and it will be sooner rather than later.