Sign in to follow this  
steelers2101

Edge or Portis

Was originally choosing between Edge and Brown, and decided to go with the proven guy over the guy with potential. Now after hearing Portis is healing fine, I'm thinking of possibly going with him.

I'm curious, how will the Duckett deal affect Portis. Obviously that's another goalline guy, but how many carries during the game will Portis lose. And how much more of an injury risk is he now?

I just can't seem to ignore the potential under Al Saunders. Portis is proven as well, and the only question mark is how great a chance he has of re-injuring himself.

Also, why are Edge's rushing attempts so low in the FFT projections?

man, can you talk to the guys in our league. if edge and portis both go before i draft at 11, i will be thrilled. i am praying for jackson, ronnie brown, or rudi to fall to me at 11. if i have to take edge, on that awful team (O line and Def), I will puke....

all of this is up in the air with me also. i dont know where i will be drafting yet but if i was in your position i would go with the edge. only because portis' shoulder scares me to death (i dont want to have to worry about my top guy REinjuring himself all year) and because they just got duckett. portis has great potential and before he got hurt i would have taken him 4th, but injuries are injuries and i will let someone else worry about it. i would go with the edge, just make sure you grab another RB with your next pick. rushing attempts are so low probably because of their very good passing offense. this is just a guess, but thats all i can see it being. he should get used nicely in the passing game as well. just hope that terrible O-line will be good enough. hope this helps.

man, can you talk to the guys in our league. if edge and portis both go before i draft at 11, i will be thrilled. i am praying for jackson, ronnie brown, or rudi to fall to me at 11. if i have to take edge, on that awful team (O line and Def), I will puke....

That is my concern about Edge. However, Ronnie Brown hasn't proven ######, and I remember how little love the minnesota RBs got because Culpepper seemed to scavenge every short TD opportunity.

Also, Arizona's O-line is no worse than Miami's. Rudi isn't a third down back, and Steven Jackson is very very overrated. Just look at his game log last year.

My other concern is that Edge has had Peyton his whole career, which obviously loosened up the D for Edge to pound through. He can't pound through in Arizona like he did in Indy.

all of this is up in the air with me also. i dont know where i will be drafting yet but if i was in your position i would go with the edge. only because portis' shoulder scares me to death (i dont want to have to worry about my top guy REinjuring himself all year) and because they just got duckett. portis has great potential and before he got hurt i would have taken him 4th, but injuries are injuries and i will let someone else worry about it. i would go with the edge, just make sure you grab another RB with your next pick. rushing attempts are so low probably because of their very good passing offense. this is just a guess, but thats all i can see it being. he should get used nicely in the passing game as well. just hope that terrible O-line will be good enough. hope this helps.

That's the other thing, I want to go WR/WR with my next two picks and get myself a sleeper RB or few later. We only start 2 RBs, no flex.

Ya know, I think I'm going to roll the dice with Portis. Portis sucked when he first went to washington and I won't be surprised if Edge does too.

Then again, in edge's first 8 games he gets SF, StL, Oak, GB, KC and Atl. His trade value may be pretty high at that point. Tough tough call.

I remember how little love the minnesota RBs got because Culpepper seemed to scavenge every short TD opportunity.

You really think they are gonna throw Daunte in that situation this year after having major knee surgery? I guess we'll get more of a glimpse tonight at 7!

You really think they are gonna throw Daunte in that situation this year after having major knee surgery? I guess we'll get more of a glimpse tonight at 7!

Maybe not early, but possibly later in the season. Nevertheless, from what I have heard, Brown will fall to at least #11 (Peyton going at 9 :dunno: ). I can definitely upgrade with a trade.

Rudi's the safest and most proven. Edge is proven, just not as safe, though I'd have him next after Rudi.

I agree, I just don't like the fact that he doesn't get third down. Also, as tough as cincy's schedule was last year, it is even tougher this year.

Also, Arizona's O-line is no worse than Miami's.

You've posted this a few times, and just so that you don't mislead people that don't do the research, this is just flat-out wrong.

Arizona's OL is widely regarded as being terrible. If the rankings aren't enough for you, have you watched them in the first two preseason games?

Miami's OL, on the other hand, is considered, at worst, average, but has been rated among the top 10 by two highly-respected rankings. In addition, they boast one of the best OL coaches in the game in Hudson Houck.

You've posted this a few times, and just so that you don't mislead people that don't do the research, this is just flat-out wrong.

Arizona's OL is widely regarded as being terrible. If the rankings aren't enough for you, have you watched them in the first two preseason games?

Miami's OL, on the other hand, is considered, at worst, average, but has been rated among the top 10 by two highly-respected rankings. In addition, they boast one of the best OL coaches in the game in Hudson Houck.

Most rankings I've seen have Miami in the early to mid 20s with Arizona in the late 20s.

Most rankings I've seen have Miami in the early to mid 20s with Arizona in the late 20s.

Something a lot of people don't realise too, is that Arizona's line (more specifically lineman) are geared for pass blocking. Most of them were prized pass blockers in college, and they do a decent enough job at standing up lineman, but they suck at pulls, traps and schemes. This also has to do with the OC / Line coach. One thing I will give Arizona's line credit for, is they are focking huge, one of the larger lines in the league.

Miami's line is geared more for the run. You'll see them work together nicely all pulling to the right to open a hole, but yet you'll see 3 DL and 2 linebackers come close to getting CPep all year cause they don't pass protect worth a damn.

I would have to give the Edge to this year's Tiki to Rudi and pick him over Brown.

Where would Rudi go in a PPR league? Still ahead of Brown, SJax, Edge or even LaMont??

I like Rudi at 5 also, but I'm in a non-PPR league. In a PPR league I actually like EDGE. I think he will be used a lot like Lamont Jordan was last year. Plenty of little dump off passes to save Warner from getting sacked.

Thats the thing about this board. I see guys talking about this a lot. Which RB over another in the first round. They often even give their reasoning but almost always fail to give you what type of scoring league that they are refering to. A non-PPR is a huge diffence than a PPR league.

I believe Jordan had 70 recepts last year and Rudi had 23. (Without looking it up, I think thats about right.) I mean come on. Thats a 47 point swing! You just can not post which RB you think is better without some clarification on this point.

I would be very leery of Portis right now. I believe that the Skins got Duckett as insurance for Portis but also so he can take some of the beatings Portis would normally take in goal line situations. Why would the Skins use Portis in goal line now with a bum shoulder and also a big bull dozing type back??

With Portis rarely being used in the passing game, he is a 1200-1500 type back with few TD's. Not very attractive especially for a first round pick. I would go Edge since that who you are using as a comparison, but I would go Steven Jackson myself

Where would Rudi go in a PPR league? Still ahead of Brown, SJax, Edge or even LaMont??

PPR goes to Edge. Rudi just does not catch balls. Sorry if I missed that scoring caviat. Plus Warner or Lienart will have to dump often (see: LT2).

I like SJax there in second place if they do not sign Stephen Davis that is. Brown would be 2nd if that happens.

I love how everybody is Ronnie Brown this and Ronnie Brown that. What has he ever done or proved????? NOTHING. You got to love last night how he had 7 rushes for 1 yrd in the 1st quarter last night. AWSOME!!!! RONNIE BROWN IS THE BUST OF 2006.

Take the proven player in Edge... still young, a GREAT receiver and on a team where you TOTALLY HAVE TO RESPECT THE PASSING GAME and not stack the box.

RONNIE BROWN WILL BE ON THE :blink: BEFORE LONG.

I love how everybody is Ronnie Brown this and Ronnie Brown that. What has he ever done or proved????? NOTHING. You got to love last night how he had 7 rushes for 1 yrd in the 1st quarter last night. AWSOME!!!! RONNIE BROWN IS THE BUST OF 2006.

Take the proven player in Edge... still young, a GREAT receiver and on a team where you TOTALLY HAVE TO RESPECT THE PASSING GAME and not stack the box.

RONNIE BROWN WILL BE ON THE :banana: BEFORE LONG.

I thought the same thing about how everyone was crazy over Willis last year. I just don't get how all these guys jump into the first round on POTENTIAL. The first is reserved for the PROVEN

I went with Portis. Don't like picking guys going to new and far inferior teams. I grabbed Duckett later, and ended up going WR/WR in the 2nd and 3rd and got Holt and Boldin (which made not picking Edge even better, and also made picking Holt over Fitzgerald better as well).

The rest of my team is okay. Needless to say I'm not very excited about it. Warner is my QB, Indy D, TEs are rookies Davis and Marcedes Lewis, my other RBs are Ahman, Addai and Lundy (we're limited to 5 :banana: ), and my other WRs are Reggie Brown, Stokley and Chad Jackson.

RONNIE BROWN WILL BE ON THE :dunno: BEFORE LONG.

Yeah, that stud Sammy Morris is gonna take Brown`s job. :wacko:

RONNIE BROWN WILL BE ON THE :rolleyes: BEFORE LONG.

Brilliant post!

Yeah, he's terrible. 1 yard in 7 rushes? Man, that guy really sucks. But, wait? He followed up with 26 in his next 6 to go with a 20 yard reception. Yup, he's terrible. Why don't you evaluate the rest of the league based off a 1 quarter sample (one of their worst quarters, too), and then post your new rankings for us?

Back to reality...

Edge is still young? You don't have to respect Culpepper's passing ability? The terrible run stopping teams on Miami's schedule are going to stack the box?

Man, you are simply awesome. Thanks for the great breakdown.

I'm leaning towards Edge, too. Robert Smith seemed to do okay under Dennis Green. I think the AZ passing game will be respected, if the O line so horrible that doesnt work Edge is fine with draws and screens. I think Edge has as good a chance to have a great or bad year as the others mentioned. AZ also gets SF and Stl twice.

My only decision is between him and peyton at this point (6 point passing TDs)

That's what I was fearing and, sure enough, my fear came true. Portis fell to me at 1.12 and I just couldn't pass him up. Depending on the injury, this pick could be a :P or a :D ;)

Conventional wisdom says that Edge is going to be weak this year due to the line...that means I am looking at him and salivating. :cheers:

Conventional wisdom says that Edge is going to be weak this year due to the line...that means I am looking at him and salivating. :wacko:

:first: