Sign in to follow this  
cortezthekiller303

Any WAS homers have the Portis update from the weekend?

If he does not play, do Betts and Duckett split the carries 50/50?

I cant see him playing if has anything lingering from the injury, but I am so out of the loop on what his prognosis is its nuts.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I'm wondering the same thing. It sounds like Portis is doubtful, and my opponent this week has him. With Duckett and Betts both available on the wire right now (to my disbelief), I'm thinking of picking one of them up to try and block him. However, not sure which one to pick up (or maybe it's not worth it; will either one put up decent fantasy numbers?).

My instinct says Duckett gets the carries, but I wouldn't' consider myself to be in the know on this one.

I'm wondering the same thing. It sounds like Portis is doubtful, and my opponent this week has him. With Duckett and Betts both available on the wire right now (to my disbelief), I'm thinking of picking one of them up to try and block him. However, not sure which one to pick up (or maybe it's not worth it; will either one put up decent fantasy numbers?).

My instinct says Duckett gets the carries, but I wouldn't' consider myself to be in the know on this one.

gotta agree with you on Duckett...and its Minny, so if he is properly motivated (as he should be) and gets the nod, it could be a good day for him.

From Peter King's column, published an hour ago.

"But even with Clinton Portis returning in seven days for the opener, I don't have a lot of confidence in this offense."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...4/mmqb/?cnn=yes

thanks Shakespeare - thats a bold prediction from PK, but I (sadly) think its a wait and see sort of deal.

Damm fantasy football. :thumbsdown:

I am positive Portis will not play. I have no link or inside knowledge. I just do not think they risk playing him the first two weeks. They drafted Duckett for this purpose. Duckett will likely shoulder the load and Betts will play the role he was accustomed to.

I am positive Portis will not play. I have no link or inside knowledge. I just do not think they risk playing him the first two weeks. They drafted Duckett for this purpose. Duckett will likely shoulder the load and Betts will play the role he was accustomed to.

Did they draft Duckett, b/c im pretty sure they recently taded for him

The Skins traded for Duckett because he's quite possibly the best goalline back in the league. Weather or not Portis is injured, this is a good pickup for D.C.

I'm not trying to play down the injury because I don't know any more about it than the next guy. I can say that a lot has been made of a quote by Gibbs stating that Portis and Springs are the only players who's status is in doubt. Again, I'm not saying that I know he's going to play. I just think that anyone who claims to know his status is also 'doubtful.'

Betts will be used as Portis was used. Duckett will fill the 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and tough GLs. Betts will be the primary ball carrier until/if Portis plays. Portis had the same injury in college that required surgery.

Last I heard, Portis is doubtful for Week 1. As a WAS homer, I would go out on a limb and guess that Betts will get the start over Duckett since he knows the system better -- but Duckett should get some of the goal line carries (assuming the offense can even get that far!)

However, if I had to pick one off the waiver wire, I'd probably take Duckett for the longer term value assuming he will have similar stats as he did as #2 behind Dunn in ATL

Betts will be used as Portis was used. Duckett will fill the 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and tough GLs. Betts will be the primary ball carrier until/if Portis plays. Portis had the same injury in college that required surgery.

You have a link on that because Duckett is listed ahead of Betts on the depth chart.

http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/depth.php?TeamI...8&order_by=

:bandana:

Wait to see if he practices this week.

This would probably be the best indicator we will get. I don't think they will risk using Portis in the game if he is not healthy. I would also presume that they wouldn't risk him in practice as well. During the preseason teams are under no obligation to divulge injury info. Now they will have to at least put Portis on an injury report, in theory. Generally, players that don't practice, don't play for the most part, but there are exceptions and dreaded Game-Time decisions. Having an injuried player really makes you have to do your research/homework.

I'm so "Stoked" that PORTIS will fall to me @ either #11 (1.11) or even #14 (2.02).

My God, he was going #4 before the injury... I'm taking him if he is available, and not looking back,

What a huge value... even if he misses 2 weeks he is a good pick at the end of round one, early second.

I'm so "Stoked" that PORTIS will fall to me @ either #11 (1.11) or even #14 (2.02).

My God, he was going #4 before the injury... I'm taking him if he is available, and not looking back,

What a huge value... even if he misses 2 weeks he is a good pick at the end of round one, early second.

That may very well happen. I got Portis at 2.7 in my 14 teamer.

:cheers:

This would probably be the best indicator we will get. I don't think they will risk using Portis in the game if he is not healthy. I would also presume that they wouldn't risk him in practice as well. During the preseason teams are under no obligation to divulge injury info. Now they will have to at least put Portis on an injury report, in theory. Generally, players that don't practice, don't play for the most part, but there are exceptions and dreaded Game-Time decisions. Having an injuried player really makes you have to do your research/homework.

Hey Coach!!! :banana:

Like the others have said - even if he does play there is a chance they may yank him in the red zone - ala Barry Sanders. Maybe at least for the time being.

I remember Al Michaels once said that he likens it to taking a girl out on a date, but letting your buddy kiss her goodnight.

Hey Coach!!! :(

Hey, Remote Controller, good to see ya! :mad:

Indy Tom makes a good point also. Even if Portis plays, Duckett would probably get alot of the early season goalline action. Portis would have to score from at least 15 yards out to get a TD.

Hey, Remote Controller, good to see ya! :D

Indy Tom makes a good point also. Even if Portis plays, Duckett would probably get alot of the early season goalline action. Portis would have to score from at least 15 yards out to get a TD.

Since when is that a problem for Portis? :D

I got Portis at 3.2 in a 10 team, was very happy with the value, though I wish I could know for certain about week 1 or even 2.

Joe Gibbs: "Clinton had 2 good workouts yesterday and it will be up to him weather or not he plays next Monday."

Take that for what it's worth.

All indications are that Portis will start for next Monday's game. If he doesn't the starter will be Betts. Duckett will be used for short yardage situations. I live in DC btw. :dunno:

P.S. Boner!

Report I heard on ESPN Radio yesterday (Sunday) as they were going over the NFC East with a Washington-based reporter was that Portis would likely start and play without a shoulder protecter. That would lead to believe that the shoulder is pretty healthy, but who knows.

I am positive Portis will not play. I have no link or inside knowledge. I just do not think they risk playing him the first two weeks.

He even dressed for the last preseason game. It looks like he's starting next week folks...

WAS homer here. Based on some radio talk heads around here, Portis will NOT play this weekend. He will likely dress and be ready for reserve duty behind Betts and Duckett. The shoulder is not completely healed and they view it as a risk to play him. The shoulder should needs until week 3 to properly heal.

Assuming they are right (which is only about 50% of the time around these speculating parts), Duckett and Betts will split carries. Duckett is not yet up to speed on the blocking schemes, so Betts probably be in on 3rd downs. Actually, I'd bet Saunders has some 3rd downs with no backfield. Spread offense with Cooley and 3 WRs. Keep Fauria in to help block the backside of Brunell.

I got Portis at 3.2 in a 10 team, was very happy with the value, though I wish I could know for certain about week 1 or even 2.

3.1 in a 10 teamer here, then got Westbrook as RB3 at 5.1. Right now I have Clinton on the bench, I can afford to wait and see.

WAS homer and die hard Skins fan here.

There is NO WAY Portis is starting this game. Like Apu poster said, he probably won't start until week 3 :headbanger:

Betts is your play here. He will handle most of the load. Duckett should see minimal action.

Also, don't fret about the Skins' offensive woes in preseason. Trust me- they have shown absolutely nothing from their playbook. They hid Randle-El all preseason and were very vanilla with their playcalling. No men in motion, basic WR routes, etc. They didn't even try. They will bust out the whoopin stick next Mon. night.

He fell to the 3 round to me... :headbanger:

WAS homer and die hard Skins fan here.

There is NO WAY Portis is starting this game. Like Apu poster said, he probably won't start until week 3 :headbanger:

Betts is your play here. He will handle most of the load. Duckett should see minimal action.

Also, don't fret about the Skins' offensive woes in preseason. Trust me- they have shown absolutely nothing from their playbook. They hid Randle-El all preseason and were very vanilla with their playcalling. No men in motion, basic WR routes, etc. They didn't even try. They will bust out the whoopin stick next Mon. night.

Through the first 3 paragraphs I thought we had somebody who knew what they were talking about.

....and then the 4th paragraph. Brunell *might* have a cane to beat those whipper-snappers, not a whoopin stick. Of course their opponents arent too young either. Still, you seem to be blinded by your loyalty. But that's OK, DC is your team after all.

Looks like at least two of us have heard conflicting information on sports talk radio about Portis' situation. So far, no concrete evidence/sources have surfaced.

I'll say this. I've seen head coaches play it vague when it comes to a day-to-day injury, but not a longer term injury. if it's true that Portis needs 3 weeks to heal, does it seem to make sense for Gibbs to say that Portis could play this week? Guys don't dress if they're gonna miss 3 or more weeks.

Again, I'm not arguing with those who say it's not going to happen this week. But if this is such a certainty, wouldn't we have heard something about it by now? As the old saying goes, 'no news is good news.'

Portis will start. I expect Duckett to take away almost all of Portis' carries that are inside the 10 yards. Portis has had this injury in the past, and it is more of an annoyance then a "keep you out" type of injury.

Portis will need to be in there to turn around the horrible Washington offense that we have seen so far in the preseason.

Wait to see if he practices this week.

If he practices he plays, if he doesn't practice he doesn't play.

You have a link on that because Duckett is listed ahead of Betts on the depth chart.

http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/depth.php?TeamI...8&order_by=

No link just a Skin's fan since 1970. Betts will start. Duckett will not. He will be used as I said he will...trust me.

Portis will start. I expect Duckett to take away almost all of Portis' carries that are inside the 10 yards. Portis has had this injury in the past, and it is more of an annoyance then a "keep you out" type of injury.

Portis will need to be in there to turn around the horrible Washington offense that we have seen so far in the preseason.

WHAT????? There is no way Portis is playing let alone starting. You are right he did have this injury before but it wasn't an annoyance it was SURGERY. He was operated on it in college because it kept opping out. Hopefully he will be okay by week 3 hopefully 2. Betts will be the primary ball carrier at least for week 1. Lets stop misleading people.

No link just a Skin's fan since 1970. Betts will start. Duckett will not. He will be used as I said he will...trust me.

WHAT????? There is no way Portis is playing let alone starting. You are right he did have this injury before but it wasn't an annoyance it was SURGERY. He was operated on it in college because it kept opping out. Hopefully he will be okay by week 3 hopefully 2. Betts will be the primary ball carrier at least for week 1. Lets stop misleading people.

Talk about misleading....when did Portis have surgery on his shoulder in college because it kept popping out. :thumbsdown:

I think you are greatly mistaken, greatly mistaken.