Sign in to follow this  
Chronic Husker

The secret about "buck"

Many of you know that a couple years ago there was a geek vs. mangeboard challenge. One of the infamous events in fftoday history is buck somehow sneaking on to the mange board team.

This is how he did it......

;)

Back in the day, it was optional to show your email address in your profile. Over a period of a few days, t.j. compiled a list of all the geeks that had ever registered at fftoday. That list included all the email addresses.

Back in the day, Yahoo and Hotmail had a policy that if an account hadn't been used in 90 days, it was open for reassignment.

Mr. Anonymous (and I don't know who else) scoured the list t.j. put together for Yahoo accounts that had gone unused for over 90 days and reregistered them.

Then, he/they would come here and enter "lost password" and fftoday would automatically send the password to the newly registered email accounts. :banana:

One night on the geek board, there were a bunch of members with low registration numbers posting out of nowhere. I call that, "The Day Mr. Anonymous Finally Connected the Dots".

I don't remember all of the handles, but the one that cracked me up was "hooters". hooters and buck both had IDs in the double-digits, I believe.

After that event, it was a couple months before the geek/mange board challenge and Anon (buck) started posting on the mange board, asking to get on the team.

"I'm a long time lurker but I've been here longer than most of you. Trust me, I'm not a geek. I hate them. All they do is start flame wars and talk about poop. I deserve to be on the mange team."

:banana:

I thought this was common knowledge from back then. :pointstosky: At least, I already knew how it was done so it wasn't quite as tightly held secret as you might imagine.

I thought this was common knowledge from back then. :banana: At least, I already knew how it was done so it wasn't quite as tightly held secret as you might imagine.

A lot of people know Anonymous was buck. I don't think many know exactly how he got the old handles.

I could be wrong. :pointstosky:

A lot of people know Anonymous was buck. I don't think many know exactly how he got the old handles.

I could be wrong. :pointstosky:

I knew about the whole process, so it had to come up at some point, somewhere. As to how many saw it, or remember it, or even care anymore - who knows?

Many of you know that a couple years ago there was a geek vs. mangeboard challenge. One of the infamous events in fftoday history is buck somehow sneaking on to the mange board team.

"I'm a long time lurker but I've been here longer than most of you. Trust me, I'm not a geek. I hate them. All they do is start flame wars and talk about poop. I deserve to be on the mange team."

:ninja:

Is it that slow at work :thumbsup:

Who are you?