Sign in to follow this  
The_Mad_Cats

Robert Gallery

So after seeing Robert Gallery a.k.a. 'The Undertaker' get thoroughly abused tonight on the line (he certainly wasn't the only one), I just wanted to ask anyone who watches Raiders games if this is a frequent occurance, or just one bad game. I think I remember reading that he's been shuffled around the o-line the last few seasons. Has that hurt his production? Does he just have problems with speed rushers? Has he been a disappointment?

So after seeing Robert Gallery a.k.a. 'The Undertaker' get thoroughly abused tonight on the line (he certainly wasn't the only one), I just wanted to ask anyone who watches Raiders games if this is a frequent occurance, or just one bad game. I think I remember reading that he's been shuffled around the o-line the last few seasons. Has that hurt his production? Does he just have problems with speed rushers? Has he been a disappointment?

Gallery is one of the more astounding 1st round busts in recent memory. He just flat out sucks. Drafting him set the Raiders back many years. Friggin' turnstile and can't run block for sh*t.

Gallery is one of the more astounding 1st round busts in recent memory. He just flat out sucks. Drafting him set the Raiders back many years. Friggin' turnstile and can't run block for sh*t.

I recall when the Raiders took Gallery that he was touted as almost a sure thing. Was suppose to be the best Left Tackle coming out of college in about 10 years - and it was pretty much a league wide perception.

Boy tells you how little scouting does in the NFL. Look at all of the high 1st round draft busts there have been - man these guys make a ton of money for never producing at the pro level. What a waste, here's hoping the Texans didn't do the same thing - but on the defensive side of the ball (not that Mario was the league wide consensus pick by any means).

I recall when the Raiders took Gallery that he was touted as almost a sure thing. Was suppose to be the best Left Tackle coming out of college in about 10 years - and it was pretty much a league wide perception.

Same thing was said about D'Brickashaw Ferguson. But with D'Brick, I think the NY Jets really got the real deal. Time will tell. But Gallery is indeed horrible.

Lets not forge that Shawne Merriman is an absolute BEAST. I told a friend of mine during the pre-season that he would be NFL defensive player of the year.

I believe it.

Lets not forge that Shawne Merriman is an absolute BEAST. I told a friend of mine during the pre-season that he would be NFL defensive player of the year.

I believe it.

A Terp fan who is a fan of Merriman? Color me unsurprised.

A Terp fan who is a fan of Merriman? Color me unsurprised.

Yeah, there's some homerism in there but its not BLIND homerism. Merriman is the real deal. He's freakishly athletic, has a nasty temperment and seems to be driven to be the best.

He reminds me of a bigger and stronger Lavar Arrington, with a better work ethic, attitude, and more tencacity. In fact, he is a friend of Arrington's and Lavar has been touting his ability since he was in high school.

There's really nothing he cant do. He can rush the passer and will make a lot of tackles look like Gallery did last night. He plays the run well and he can drop into coverage. He is a special talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Yeah he is pretty much garbage. Coming out of college he was hyped as the next best thing since sliced bread. If my memory serves me correctly he went a bunch of games without giving up a sack. The first two years after Oakland signed him, they moved him from his native postion to RT where he under produced, this year they've moved him back to LT and well they aren't off to a great start.

it was his first game at LT.

a pretty bad effort as was beat on at least 3-4 snaps...

not helping was aaron brooks holding on to the ball like it was his signing bonus.

anyway, we should progress this year, as he is learning anew position,

but hes a def. disappointment

Gallery looked pretty bad in the preseason also, getting beat several times in the Minnesota game. He's too slow out of his stance and doesn't move his feet well after initial contact. He's prime pickings for a speed rusher like Merriman and just about every defensive end in the league that comes off that corner.

Boy tells you how little scouting does in the NFL. Look at all of the high 1st round draft busts there have been - man these guys make a ton of money for never producing at the pro level. What a waste, here's hoping the Texans didn't do the same thing - but on the defensive side of the ball (not that Mario was the league wide consensus pick by any means).

I don't know about best in the last 10 years, but he was definitely considered one of the most sure things in the draft because the tackle position is one of the easiest to scout. Supposedly a lot of scouts will say that they can tell in about a minute of game film whether a tackle is good or not, and the draft results definitely agree.

He just happened to be one of the few busts I guess.

This is why I don't understand the hard on every team in the league has for draft picks. Well we want deion branch, but we're not gonna give up a 1st or 2nd rounder. It should be the other way around. If you have a proven commodity, it's value is higher than that of an unknown draft pick. Gallery isn't the only one. I'd say 1/2 the first rounders end up being mediocre at best players, and then you have the bradys that come out of nowhere. I know salary cap has something to do with this mentality, but it still boggles my mind. Only league where they sweat draft picks so hard. I'd take a proven commodity over a draft pick anyway. I mean after seeing deion branch play for the past 3 years, would you not take him in the 1st round in the next draft?!? Againb, just using branch as an example because of the recent turn of events, nothing more.

As far as gallery, he was touted so much, given so much money up front, etc. Waste. I hope dbrick is better than that!