Sign in to follow this  
wRONg JEREMY

Who's play will Deon Branch affect most negatively?

Guest Johnny Holmes

Actually this may render all of them ineffective.

Not a real #1 guy in the bunch.

I think Deion will be the number 1 at some point. DJAX has a bad knee and in my opinion Nate Burleson is pretty overrated. I think he's a good 2nd receiver or even 3rd receiver on SEA

Ya gotta think Burleson. After all, he was the guy they targeted in the offseason to be the #2 guy next to DJax. One figures that Burleson ain't cuttin' the mustard, because Seattle goes out and spends a #1 pick to correct the problem.

Engram is what he is, a #3 and good guy in the slot.

Now if Branch was acquired as a fall back in case DJax goes knee up, then he'll simply take the numbers of the #1 in Seattle, which still leaves Burleson short on production.

I'd take a flyer on Branch, but would only expect marginal numbers from him (unless Jackson goes down). I would not expect anything from Burleson at this point, and he figures to be the #4 guy in the receiving corps (sorry, but he can't play the slot like Engram).

Ya gotta think Burleson. After all, he was the guy they targeted in the offseason to be the #2 guy next to DJax. One figures that Burleson ain't cuttin' the mustard, because Seattle goes out and spends a #1 pick to correct the problem.

Engram is what he is, a #3 and good guy in the slot.

Now if Branch was acquired as a fall back in case DJax goes knee up, then he'll simply take the numbers of the #1 in Seattle, which still leaves Burleson short on production.

I'd take a flyer on Branch, but would only expect marginal numbers from him (unless Jackson goes down). I would not expect anything from Burleson at this point, and he figures to be the #4 guy in the receiving corps (sorry, but he can't play the slot like Engram).

That's kinda what I was thinking. Nate must be not living up to expectations. No one really looked great last game but DJAX looked OK for a bust(like everyone seems to think). :(

Actually this may render all of them ineffective.

Not a real #1 guy in the bunch.

If Jackson is healthy, he is the #1 clearly. He has been Hasselback's favorite target and that won't change. This doesn't bode well for Burelson and Engram looks long term, but Jackson is still the man there, just like he was when Koren Robinson was there.

I actually just acquired Jackson. I think he is going to be okay. He looked decent in the game and is healthy. It will take Branch a little time to get acclimated and when he does he will draw double teams away from Jackson. The loss of Hutchinson appeared to affect SA on Sunday. When healthy, Jackson is the clear but #1 wr. He has the experience in the offense, and the trust of his qb and coach. I think Branch affects Burleson and Engram.

I think it hurts Burleson the most.. I also have Djax and i think he will be number 1 if healthy but Branch will get his also... Hopefully not at the expense of Djax...

I think its pretty clear that they feel they need a #1 WR. Thats why the paid the big money and a #1 pick for Branch.

From everything I have heard, Burleson was doing just fine with Hasselbeck this preseason. Engram is what he is, a very good slot WR, that's gonna get a lot of 1st downs and 40-70 yards a game. Regardless of who they sign Engrams role stays the same.

I think DJax is trying to give his knee a go. I also think Seattle doesn't think it will hold up. At the very least, they don't want to pin their superbowl hopes on the knee holding up. Thus the signing of Branch.

Long run, the signing will be very bad for Burleson if DJax's knee holds up. He'll fall to the #4 WR. If the knee doesn't hold up, business as usual for Burleson as Seattle's #2. (900-5td)

Burleson. for 2 reasons:

1- the pecking order in Seattle is now: Jackson, Branch, Engram, Burleson. so he naturally gets squeezed.

2- Burleson was brought in to be the speedy deep threat. Branch will now fill that role.

assuming all stay healthy (bad assumption, i know, but you never know which one will get hurt), Burleson is the odd man out at this point.

The real question is 'whose' play will be affected? Though you do score points for knowing affect from effect.

If Jackson is healthy, Burleson has the most to lose. He drops from their #2, possibly #1 if Jackson can't go, to as far as #4. Engram remains the #3 as a possession guy.

I have Burleson in a Dynasty League with huge rosters. So, should I hold onto him for now to see how the situation plays out, or drop him in favor of someone else?

The Burleson owner in me sees the handwriting on the wall. They brought him in thinking he would supplant Engram as a 2 and he really hasn't. Now is the 3/4 wr.

The Branch owner in me is pumped he will play. I will give Burleson a start this week then it is off to the WW.

given full health, d jax is the #1. he has proven more times over his worth than branch, imo.

but if d jax can't get healthy then i agree branch is being aquired to be the #1

I own both Hasselback and D Jax.

I think he helps Hasselback big time and D Jax should be kind of nuetral. He will draw some attention, meaning some passes but also freeing up D Jax at times.

I think Seattle throws a little more this year and D Jax stays the #1 WR.

Interesting to read some of these responses...

I'll respond, not as an owner of any of the said players but just as a Seattle Homer (and I love FF).

I think Burleson is doing just fine. I think the team feels he will be a big part of what Seattle is trying to do for a long time. Don't gauge yet what he may be capable of based on that offensive (or lack of) outing by Seattle vs. Detroit in week 1. I know people knock Branch for never achieving 1000 yds receiving but remember he was a big part of the receiving game of a successful team with a quarterback who was praised for spreading out the ball.

To me, Seattle signed Branch and Burleson for the FUTURE.

Engram, while extremely solid but is around 34-35 yrs old. Jackson-missed 10 games last year and continues to struggle with injuries. According to KJR 950 local sports radio, the team is very concerned (I listen every morning on the way to work). I've also heard discussions that Jackson may be extremely displeased with the new contracts given to Branch and Burleson and is unhappy with the extension he signed under the old management a couple years back.

Jackson though, knows the system which will translate into him being a regular target for Matt.

I don't know about now, but I think by next season it will be Branch and Burleson as #1,2 and Jackson on another squad (of course, I could be wrong-don't ream me, going out on a limb...I'm a Hawks fan first and foremost).

Let me just add that in the previous post, although I said that Seattle signed Branch and Burleson for the FUTURE...by all intents they are trying to win now. I think the mantra for the team is actually "WIN NOW".

With Jackson and Jerramy Stevens' injuries and Bobby's age, they needed to bring Branch in and I don't think it's because of what Burleson lacks (as thought by some on ESPN message boards and elsewhere).

So far as effects on players:

Hasselbeck :)

Alexander :thumbsdown:

What the hell does this have to do with Alexander? If anything at all it would help Alexander by further spreading the field out and a more potent offense = more GL touches for RB's. Alexander doesn't catch out the backfield so this doesn't effect his pass catching.

I'll take this off into another tangent: what does this do to Stevens' value once he returns to the lineup?

Can he reclaim last year's past glory as being an up-and-coming TE, or will there just be a glut of receiving options within the offense that would render him an ineffective fantast TE?

I was thinking of grabbing him in a week or two, just prior to his scheduled return to the active roster.

Thoughts?