Sign in to follow this  
markblaz

** Official College Football Wagering Thead **

I like WVU to cover in this one...its at home, and Slaton is already saying he is going to stick it to UM, as they are the team that offered him a scholarship and then revoked it, leaving him high and dry a few years ago...which of course led him to the Mounties.

Slaton was nursing an ankle sprain on Monday, but I have not read anything that says it will affect his play.

this just posted on espn...and Slaton sounds pretty pissed!:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...&id=2585461

West Virginia sophomore tailback Steve Slaton grew up wanting to go to Maryland. He got a scholarship offer from Maryland. Two years later, Slaton will take his Heisman Trophy candidacy onto Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium on Thursday night against Maryland.

Steve Slaton is averaging 154 yards per game in 2006."I just had too many running backs," Terrapins coach Ralph Friedgen said. "It's my mistake, nobody else's … I wish he was here. I kick myself every day."

Slaton is fourth in the nation in rushing at 154 yards per game, even though he sat out the second half of the Mountaineers' rout of Eastern Washington. Put another way, he has rushed for 308 yards and four touchdowns in three halves.

Terrapin tailbacks Keon Lattimore and Lance Ball have played well this season. They have combined to rush for 319 yards and five touchdowns on 55 carries, an average of 5.8 yards per carry. Neither one is Slaton.

"I ended up staying with a kid from Maryland (Morgan Green, from White Plains, Md.). He's finally now in school," Friedgen said. Green spent 2005 at Hargrave Military Academy, and has not made a dent in the lineup this fall.

Slaton, Friedgen said, "had been offered and committed. I couldn't take the commitment because I had too many commitments. You can't have 10 running backs and no linemen." Slaton has said that Maryland asked him to move to defensive back. Friedgen said he didn't do the asking and didn't know anything about it, but that perhaps someone on his staff had asked.

"We knew what kind of back he was: very good speed, very well-balanced kid, just a real good character. Slaton had good grades, a president-of-the-class-type kid. We have four pretty good tailbacks. He'd fit right in here." Maryland will find out how well Thursday night.

on the kansas game, here's some things to consider (the big 12 north is probably what i follow the closest):

kansas is 3-17 SU under mark mangino in true road contests with wins coming against tulsa, wyoming and rival mizzou dating back to 2002. kansas did not have a road win last season and all of their losses were by more than a TD.

kansas also has a redshirt freshman starting his first road game along with still trying to break in 8 new starters on defense. Even though they are 2-0, kansas has struggled in their first two games at home against lowly I-AA Northwestern St (49-18, most of ku's scores came from special teams) and Louisianna-Monroe (21-19, monroe missed 2 FG's and an XP, plus a chance to tie with a 2pt conv). Ku is currently 79th in total defense including 110th in passing defense giving up 297yards/game through the air. In addition to all the new starters on def, there have been injuries and suspensions in the secondary. It is rumored their preseason all big 12 starting corner will return for friday's game but it is not certain yet.

This is Toledo's home opener after a 3 OT loss at another big 12 north team, iowa st (43-45) and a bad loss at western michigan(10-31) last week. Toledo has been a strong home team going 34-2 SU since 1999.

Despite being 0-2, Toledo has fielded a strong passing offense, averaging 292 yrds good for 13th in the nation.

With this line going from -5.5 to -3.5, i think Toledo is a pretty solid play. Asking a redshirt freshman to win a game on the road with a suspect defense that plays into the strength of the home team spells trouble for kansas.

Toledo -3.5 2 units WINNER!

be wary though, i'm off to a really bad start overall.

10-20-1 -13.86 units

2+ units 4-7 -6.67 units

14-9-1 YTD

Got three booked:

IOWA ST +13.5...you gotta be kidding me!!!

CINCY +30....Tressel never covers big spreads. Cincy will hang around and lose by 21-24.

Fla -3...Tenn has two key defenders out for yr.

Like Toledo too

gl to all...

College YTD 29-13-1

My College Ticket:

West Virginia -10.5 (1st Half) WIN

WV -3.5 (1st Quarter WIN

WV/Maryland over 48 WIN

Toledo -3.5 WIN

Navy +2.5 WIN

Boise State -7 PUSH

Fresno State -3.5 LOSS

Florida -3.5 LOSS

Nevada -2 WIN

Florida State -4.5 LOSS

Louisville -4 WIN

Western Michigan +9.5 WIN

Oregon -4.5 LOSS

Michigan State +3 WIN

Cincinnatti +30 PUSH

South Florida -1 WIN

USC -10.5 (1st Half) WIN

Texas -18 (1st Half) WIN

Nevada -1 (1st Half) WIN

USC -18 PUSH

Iowa State +14 WIN

Syracuse +3 WIN

Vanderbilt +6 WIN

Colorado +11.5 LOSS

Hawaii -7.5 (1st Half) WIN

Ditka...where is the west coast bias? No USC giving 18 1/2? Am I missing something on this game? This line seems too low.

Ditka...where is the west coast bias? No USC giving 18 1/2? Am I missing something on this game? This line seems too low.

Dude! I got Fresno, Boise, Oregon and Nevada. There is your west coast bias. I like USC in that game but they have only beat up on Arkansas and we don't know yet what they can do against a ranked opponent.

Dude! I got Fresno, Boise, Oregon and Nevada. There is your west coast bias. I like USC in that game but they have only beat up on Arkansas and we don't know yet what they can do against a ranked opponent.

Yeah, I did notice the four west coast teams on your ticket. Considering your history of success the last couple years, I was hoping you would solidify my opinion on USC covering the spread. Nebraska's opponents have been horrible, which is another reason I like USC. Two weeks of preperation, home opener, more talent. Go Trojans Go. I have to admit that I piggy back off you with a lot of your picks.

Yeah, I did notice the four west coast teams on your ticket. Considering your history of success the last couple years, I was hoping you would solidify my opinion on USC covering the spread. Nebraska's opponents have been horrible, which is another reason I like USC. Two weeks of preperation, home opener, more talent. Go Trojans Go. I have to admit that I piggy back off you with a lot of your picks.

This weekend I am less than confident on many of the games that I am playing. The couple that I like the most are:

Florida- Urban Meyer and Florida seems to have the Vols number. Tennessee played their butts off against Cal and they could show up again. Still Florida has much better talent. And I love Urban Meyer in big games.

Navy- After watching Stanford play I would say I am less than impressed with that team and with most of the Pac 10 in general. Willing to take Navy with the points in a game that should really suck.

Oregon- Oklahoma has been less than impressive and the Ducks have looked REALLY good. They are solid at alot positions.

Boise State- They looked like a monster against Oregon State and I think they will roll one up this week just like last week.

This weekend I am less than confident on many of the games that I am playing. The couple that I like the most are:

Florida- Urban Meyer and Florida seems to have the Vols number. Tennessee played their butts off against Cal and they could show up again. Still Florida has much better talent. And I love Urban Meyer in big games.

Navy- After watching Stanford play I would say I am less than impressed with that team and with most of the Pac 10 in general. Willing to take Navy with the points in a game that should really suck.

Oregon- Oklahoma has been less than impressive and the Ducks have looked REALLY good. They are solid at alot positions.

Boise State- They looked like a monster against Oregon State and I think they will roll one up this week just like last week.

Like WVU to cover easily....BUT Maryland has covered the last 5 of 6 in the series. I think this is a different WV team, they want some respect, and they always seem to go off on Thurs. night games at home. And on my bias side, I hate Friedgen. He sucked big time with the Chargers.

WVU- 18 1/2

COLLEGE YTD 9-4

College YTD: 29-30; -6.28 units

Subset: 2 unit plays or higher: 8-8; -3.78 units

Horrible start to the year. I suck so far this year. :dunno:

Thursday

Maryland (+17.5) for 1 unit LOSER

Maryland 1st Half (+10.5) for 1 unit LOSER

Maryland 2nd H (+7)@-105 for 2 units WINNER

West Virginia is seeing 82 % of the action.

I am waiting to see if the line goes above +17. And it has a good chance of doing so before gametime. Everyone is buying into the West Virginia hype. And why not, as they are a very solid team. However, this looks like an overlay to me in a meaningful rivalry game, as the books opened this number at -13, and the public moved the line up 4 points. These teams have flip flopped roles the last couple of years, with West Virginia now the dominant, nationally ranked team. However, these teams has played some close games recently, notably 19-16 two years ago and 31-19 last year. Let's look at last year's matchup. West Virginia led 7-6 going into the 4th quarter in Maryland, in a game where Maryland was favored by a short 2 pts. West Virginia took advantage of turnovers and some big plays late to pull away for a double digit win, despite barely outgaining Maryland in total yardage. What exactly has changed so dramatically from last year where West Virginia deserves to be such a huge favorite? West Virginia returns only 5 starters on defense, and have shown a great weakness in pass defense. Can Maryland exploit this? Well, based on the first two Maryland games, it's hard to say, as the Terps have concentrated on running the ball almost exclusively, rushing for 40 and passing for 9 times against William and Mary, and rushing 34 and passing for 16 vs a pretty decent Middle Tenn St defense, probably the best defensive team in the Sun Belt conference. Personnally, I think Maryland has kept the passing game under wraps in preparation for this game, an important revenge game, giving West Virginia little to prepare for on film. Maryland is not the greatest defense in the world, but they outweigh West Virginia in the trenches. Which is nice when you have a sizable underdog. West Virginia has motivation for national ranking, a QB that is motivated by recruiting history, but is that really an advantage, when a QB might be more prone to force some throws in order to prove how great he is.

This game will see West Virginia score some points. But will West Virginia shut down Maryland? Well, West Virginia allowed a pop gun offense of Marshall to gain 320+ total yards in the first game of the season, before playing better vs overmatched Eastern Washington. Yes, I think the Maryland coaching staff will come up with a way for Maryland to hang around until late, and get the cover. Take the points.

Good luck to all.

Just about to kick-off..........I like the Mountaineers covering the 17, easy.

Kan/Tol on Friday, I like the O48. Both teams will score often.

I see Phillybear's point of the public moving the action by 4 points. I still feel bad for people thinking Maryland will cover.

Good luck to all!!

As a Maryland alum Im not touching this game but I would be inclined to take the points. I cant see Friedgen gettin blown out fora 3rd straight time on a Thursday night ESPN game but who knows.

What I'll be watching tonite is Soph OT Jared Gaither. Im biased because I coached the kid in high school basketball for 2 years and Im a Terrapin but he has the potential to be a DOMINANT NFL Offensive Tackle.

He is a legit 6'8. In fact he was listed at 6'9 since his sophmore year in high school. He's a natural 300 lbs and is now up to about 350 after being on a real workout program for the last 3 years.

Watch this kid tonite and remember that he played organized football for the 1st time 3 years ago. He's a true SOph but will probably be declaring for the draft after this year b/c he went to prep school for a year ala Larry Fitzgerald.

If he keeps his head on straight and continues to work he is a Walter Jones, Ogden, Pace type talent.

i didnt really want to play this game tonight...wv is the better team but it is a rivalry game and the last 3 have been close. i think maryland hangs with them for a while but wouldnt be shocked if wv pulled away in the 2nd. i'll play the first half for a small play.

Maryland +10.5 1st half .5 unit LOSER

I think WVU should win this easily but I'm only making a small play for the under.

My book has it at +20,almost daring me to take the dog but I can't trust this Maryland team.

My play is Under 51 for .5 units.

11-6 YTD +5.65 units

College YTD: 29-30; -6.28 units

Subset: 2 unit plays or higher: 8-8; -3.78 units

Horrible start to the year. I suck so far this year. :(

Thursday

Maryland (+17.5) for 1 unit

Maryland 1st Half (+10.5) for 1 unit

West Virginia is seeing 82 % of the action.

I am waiting to see if the line goes above +17. And it has a good chance of doing so before gametime. Everyone is buying into the West Virginia hype. And why not, as they are a very solid team. However, this looks like an overlay to me in a meaningful rivalry game, as the books opened this number at -13, and the public moved the line up 4 points. These teams have flip flopped roles the last couple of years, with West Virginia now the dominant, nationally ranked team. However, these teams has played some close games recently, notably 19-16 two years ago and 31-19 last year. Let's look at last year's matchup. West Virginia led 7-6 going into the 4th quarter in Maryland, in a game where Maryland was favored by a short 2 pts. West Virginia took advantage of turnovers and some big plays late to pull away for a double digit win, despite barely outgaining Maryland in total yardage. What exactly has changed so dramatically from last year where West Virginia deserves to be such a huge favorite? West Virginia returns only 5 starters on defense, and have shown a great weakness in pass defense. Can Maryland exploit this? Well, based on the first two Maryland games, it's hard to say, as the Terps have concentrated on running the ball almost exclusively, rushing for 40 and passing for 9 times against William and Mary, and rushing 34 and passing for 16 vs a pretty decent Middle Tenn St defense, probably the best defensive team in the Sun Belt conference. Personnally, I think Maryland has kept the passing game under wraps in preparation for this game, an important revenge game, giving West Virginia little to prepare for on film. Maryland is not the greatest defense in the world, but they outweigh West Virginia in the trenches. Which is nice when you have a sizable underdog. West Virginia has motivation for national ranking, a QB that is motivated by recruiting history, but is that really an advantage, when a QB might be more prone to force some throws in order to prove how great he is.

This game will see West Virginia score some points. But will West Virginia shut down Maryland? Well, West Virginia allowed a pop gun offense of Marshall to gain 320+ total yards in the first game of the season, before playing better vs overmatched Eastern Washington. Yes, I think the Maryland coaching staff will come up with a way for Maryland to hang around until late, and get the cover. Take the points.

Good luck to all.

Gotta appreciate some logic behind a pick. Going with the Mary-land :headbanger:

I just put a 3 unit play on the 1st quarter West Virginia -3.5

A half unit play on the over 48.

And I already have a 1 unit play on WV -10.5 in the first half.

As a Maryland alum Im not touching this game but I would be inclined to take the points. I cant see Friedgen gettin blown out fora 3rd straight time on a Thursday night ESPN game but who knows.

What I'll be watching tonite is Soph OT Jared Gaither. Im biased because I coached the kid in high school basketball for 2 years and Im a Terrapin but he has the potential to be a DOMINANT NFL Offensive Tackle.

He is a legit 6'8. In fact he was listed at 6'9 since his sophmore year in high school. He's a natural 300 lbs and is now up to about 350 after being on a real workout program for the last 3 years.

Watch this kid tonite and remember that he played organized football for the 1st time 3 years ago. He's a true SOph but will probably be declaring for the draft after this year b/c he went to prep school for a year ala Larry Fitzgerald.

If he keeps his head on straight and continues to work he is a Walter Jones, Ogden, Pace type talent.

Cool story! I'll watch for the kid tonight.

And I already have a 1 unit play on WV -19.5 in the first half.

i REALLY hope you meant 10.5! :thumbsup:

And I already have a 1 unit play on WV -19.5 in the first half.

:thumbsup:

The line has gone to 18.5 and the U/O is at 50.

Still people pushing W. Virginia.

I think Rich Rodriguez stole Mr. Coach Kleins playbook. Mr. coach Klein didnt want things to get physical! :pointstosky:

This is embarassing. 3 straight blowouts on Thursday nights.

And my boy isnt even playing. WTF?

Thank God for beer.

Right now I am looking at taking West Virginia in the first half and the game. No official plays yet.

Nice call. I took a look at it after your post...took WV 1st half....looking good now.

Also too winning margin 31-35...that looking too small...should have took 40+ @ 20-1.

:dunno:

And I already have a 1 unit play on WV -10.5 in the first half.