Sign in to follow this  
ghettogull

Hines Ward

I picked him as my first WR, but he has the least points of any of my 4 receivers so far. He didn't get many looks on Monday night and it just seems like he's either struggling to get open or Ben couldn't get him the ball...i know he has a nagging hammy injury and I'm beginning to think that it's effecting his play quite a bit. He hasn't looked too good. Is he going to improve? Should I think about trading him? Thoughts?

At this stage of his career, you should consider him more a low #2 or #3 WR. He is prob. still bothered by his legs. Last nite was more a matter of a suffocating, ferrocious defensive D performance and Ben not being fully healthy and needing some reps.

I actually love having Hines Ward. You can't expect Big Ben to have his act together what with all that's happened to him and their schedule -- but Hines is a wily coyote and he has a nice knack for TDs. His yardage is gonna continually fall though -- he just can't run like he used to be able to.

If you're gonna trade him, do it after he has a good week.

Actually, I thought he looked good last night. He was getting good seperation. I think his qb came back a week early. Give him more time.

I'm done with Ward. I just don't think the consistency is there in that offense, so I just traded him for Thomas Jones. The TJ owner is down on him because of the low yardage and no TDs thus far, but TJ is still getting plenty of touches and the yardage/TDs will come. I still have Steve Smith, Plaxico, Branch, and Cotchery at WR, so I could afford to ditch Ward. TJ gives me some much needed depth at RB to go with Alexander and Chester Taylor.

I feel like I got the better end of the deal, but don't we all?

I am a Ward owner as well and I am strongly considering to keep him on the pine and put in Antonio Bryant or Andre Johnson until Ward gets his crap together!

I'm done with Ward. I just don't think the consistency is there in that offense, so I just traded him for Thomas Jones. The TJ owner is down on him because of the low yardage and no TDs thus far, but TJ is still getting plenty of touches and the yardage/TDs will come. I still have Steve Smith, Plaxico, Branch, and Cotchery at WR, so I could afford to ditch Ward. TJ gives me some much needed depth at RB to go with Alexander and Chester Taylor.

That's a nice trade for you -- starting RBs on decent to very good teams are worth quite a bit and Benson still seems to be no threat. Funny, I oen T.J. & Benson.

You have nice depth to cover you at WR and you made a good deal -- I traded away DJax for Vick because i had decent depth at WR (Chambers, Housh, Ward & just picked up Colston). I'm a little worried about Colston being a rookie abd his schedule getting tough, but i play in a TD league and Brees seems to like big targets.

That's why i don't sweat having Hines. For me, he's slotted as my #3 WR (unless Colston stays hot and unseats him) and like I said, when Pitts is operating pretty normally, Hines is a consistent TD scorer. I think they'll come around within of couple weeks.

This is just what you deal with when you own Ward, he could blowup one week and the next catch 2 balls for 15 yds, but he was still a Top 10 WR last year and Ben still has plenty of rust to shake off and the full week of practice will help.

My main issue with Ward is his inconsistency. For a #3 WR, which he is for me, I need a bit of consistency, even if it's only 7-9 points per week. My #1 and #2 guys are the home run hitters, so I like my #3 guy to put up consistent numbers. In our league's scoring, with PR/KR yardage, it's fairly easy to find a consistent #3 like Welker or Dante Hall. Bye, Bye Mr. Ward.

Has everything to do with Big Ben's sitch.. but with Hines being long in the tooth, one day it's just not gonna be there anymore.. i don't think we're there yet.

I need tds and Hines actually carried my WRs several weeks last year -- his tds aren't long, but he can into rolls where he'll score in a bunch of consecutive weeks.. he had a couple two TD games last year. i'm not giving up a RB to improve my WRs anyway, so he'll have to do for now..

Totally understand going another way in a PPR league -- you need catches and yards.

Hope the Ward owner in my league overreacts like this. Think I'll offer him a trade and see.

The guy played one game with Charlie Batch...that's Charlie Batch...at QB, and a second game with an obviously rusty Roethlisberger. Both games against pretty solid defenses. Ward and the Steelers offense will be fine, but it may realistically take til their bye week (next week, I believe) before they're hitting on all cylinders.

Hope the Ward owner in my league overreacts like this. Think I'll offer him a trade and see.

Damb skippy and a great point.

This is the time to go out and get Ward. He has had a slow start, but he is far too good a WR, playing on a great team, and he will absolutelty have better games as Ben returns to normal.

The reason that receivers can play, and excel, well into their thirties, while running backs usually start going downhill at 30, is because of the pounding their bodies take.

Anyone who is familiar with how Ward plays, in actual NFL football and not fantasy football, knows that he lays out on every play.

He is considered the best blocking WR in the game. He often seeks out the strong safety because he enjoys throwing his body into him to help the running game.

My point is, Ward's body takes more of a running back-like beating than a receiver beating. I doubt that Ward will be a successful receiver when he reaches his mid-thirties, ala Joey Galloway, Isaac Bruce, or Marvin Harrison.

The reason that receivers can play, and excel, well into their thirties, while running backs usually start going downhill at 30, is because of the pounding their bodies take.

Anyone who is familiar with how Ward plays, in actual NFL football and not fantasy football, knows that he lays out on every play.

He is considered the best blocking WR in the game. He often seeks out the strong safety because he enjoys throwing his body into him to help the running game.

My point is, Ward's body takes more of a running back-like beating than a receiver beating. I doubt that Ward will be a successful receiver when he reaches his mid-thirties, ala Joey Galloway, Isaac Bruce, or Marvin Harrison.

Interesting, and certainly bears consideration :cheers:

When you watch him play you see that he definetly lays out and takes serious licks grabbing these tremendous possesion balls. He's not a speed guy though.. so he kinda looks like he's dogging it sort've jogging, then he turns on a little bit of a burst and beats his guy at the critical moment. He reminds me of the gym rat basketball player, like Larry Bird, Chris Mullen, Jason Kidd that always knows exactly where to be to make a play. His blocks aren't even all that physical.. he's smart that way.. he holds the block, just long enough to let the ball carrier get by him and that's usually it.

He will sacrifice his body on the critical play if he needs to.

Just what i've noticed watching him play for years. He was unreal when he was younger -- too bad he only had Kordell and Tommy Boy then.

I had Ward last year, and yes, he can be a bit inconsistent. However, I would put too much stock in the first 2 weeks with 2 different QB. Plus, doesnt appear Pitt will be able to run as much in the past so they'll be throwing a bit more. Plus, who else is Roth to throw to?

Anyway, Ward will come around and land in the top 15 WR easily. He's proven in the past and Ben's #1 guy.

I traded Addai for Ward today, hoping I "bought low". I think I got a good deal with a backup RB but we'll see... ;)