Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Betting Geeks

i'm fairly new at the betting scene, but tonight i did a 2 team parlay with the dbacks/ reds... risk 5 win like 23 or something. after the dbacks won i noticed the line had changed on the reds/marlins game, and now the marlins were +110. I covered the parlay and put 5 to win on the marlins to win like 11 bucks and some change.

how many of you betting geeks do this??? i mean tonight i was lucky that i did it because the marlins wno and busted my parlay, but i still won like $1.27... it kind of took the fun out of watching the game for me though, as even though the reds were losing i was still like "well at least i'm not going to lose any money."

do you geeks "cover your bets" or do you simply go with your first choice. because on the other end of the spectrum if the reds would have won i would have won 5 bucks less...

so basically i'm asking do you cover to reduce your risk? or do you stick with what you got to maximize your investment?

What you did was called 'hedging' your bets. I rarely do it for the reason you stated, it takes the fun out of it. If it is a bg money bet I might.

I wouldn't bother unless I was something like 4 for 4 in a 5 team parlay going into the last game. Then I'd bet the other side in the fifth game as a hedge.

I wouldn't bother unless I was something like 4 for 4 in a 5 team parlay going into the last game. Then I'd bet the other side in the fifth game as a hedge.

Exactly.

If you like hedging your bets, do an Action Reverse box. :unsure:

good input :wacko:

soooo anyone got any great ideas for thursday nights football games?

Mathmatically, hedging makes no sense. Even if you only hedge enough to cover losses. You would have been better off not including that last game in the parlay to begin with. (assuming the line doesn't change - in you're example it might have worked)

In any case, I pretty much quit making parlay bets altogether since I realized the payoff doesn't justify the risk. You'll win more money betting on the first game, and then putting those winnings plus the original bet on the second game. Same risk as a parlay, but higher payoff.

2 game parlays pay 2.6:1

In order to be mathmatically equal, the payoff would need to be something like 2.8:1 or higher.

it went like this

Date settled:

Sep 27, 2006 10:16p

2 Team Parlay

Baseball - MLB (Game)

(951) Arizona Diamondbacks EVEN Wed@3:35p

Final Scores

Arizona Diamondbacks 6

San Francisco Giants 3

Baseball - MLB (Game)

(953) Cincinnati Reds +110 Wed@7:05p

Final Scores

Cincinnati Reds 2

Florida Marlins 7

Outcome:

Loss

Date placed:

Sep 27, 2006 6:26p

Date settled:

Sep 27, 2006 10:16p

Single #

Baseball - MLB (Game)

(954) Florida Marlins (+113) Wed@7:05p

Game must go 9 innings (8.5 if home team is ahead) or this pick is NO ACTION.

Chris Michalak (L) must throw first pitch for Cincinnati Reds or this pick is NO ACTION.

Anibal Sanchez ® must throw first pitch for Florida Marlins or this pick is NO ACTION.

Final Scores

Cincinnati Reds 2

Florida Marlins 7

So gobbledog, in general you are saying i'd be better off to forget 2-team parlays and just pick single wins?

So gobbledog, in general you are saying i'd be better off to forget 2-team parlays and just pick single wins?

Math proof:

The Parlay

Bet $10 on Game A and B at 2.6:1 odds. Total winnings: $26.00

Single Bets

Bet $10 on Game A at -110. Win $9.09.

Bet $19.09 ($10 + $9.09) on Game B at -110. Win $17.35.

Total winnings $26.44 ($9.09 + $17.35)

................................................................................

$26.00 vs $26.44 .... same risk, less reward with parlay. And the difference becomes even greater if you bet during "happy hour" when you get half juice promotions (-105).