Sign in to follow this  
Kingstowne Dealers

Benching a player to protect a lead

I'm up by 2pts, my opponent has no one playing tonight and I got Terry Glenn. It's a yahoo league and total points determine rank after win-loss record. Considering the "Grossman effect" of last MNF, I'm considering playing it safe and benching Glenn to protect the W. If he fumbles the ball and gets carried out on a stretcher I'm focked. Considering my luck with Hasselback and Jordan this week I wouldn't rule it out :huh: Any thoughts?

I'm up by 2pts, my opponent has no one playing tonight and I got Terry Glenn. It's a yahoo league and total points determine rank after win-loss record. Considering the "Grossman effect" of last MNF, I'm considering playing it safe and benching Glenn to protect the W. If he fumbles the ball and gets carried out on a stretcher I'm focked. Considering my luck with Hasselback and Jordan this week I wouldn't rule it out :headbanger: Any thoughts?

I cant believe you are even hesitating to do this...a 2 point lead? Absolutely you have to do it...you might need the points for the big picture, but dont risk it.

With a QB, as I said in the Eli thread on this same topic, I might be inclined to bench him (assuming it's legal to play no QB), since QBs more often go negative than WRs. With Glenn, I'd just start him.

Yeah, I dont think I would bench a position player. The only positions I would bench would be a DEF or a QB. The risk of Glenn going negative is so small that I think you should start him and try to increase your overall point total. Plus, it makes the game more interesting to have one of your guys going with the potential to win/lose your game. Good luck.

In every league I played in all lineups are locked in just before kickoff on Sunday. How can you still change your lineup?

In every league I've played in you can change out a player who hasn't played yet. I don't understand why anyone would want your system - what about GTDs for games after the first set?

I wouldn't bench Glenn. What's the likelihood of him getting negative points? Defense and even QB, sure. But the likelihood of a starting WR getting negative points is extremely small.

worry about total points in later weeks...

take the win and get out of there...

youre going to be :banana: when glenn does an end around..loses yards..fumbles...and they target TO the rest of the game..

Careful. On MSN points sometimes are adjusted after the game is over. I have seen a 1.6 swing when it said a WR caught: example 64 yrds when really he had 90 some. it was corrected and actually ended up giving that person the win.

This thread and a similar one we had earlier make a pretty good argument for not having negative points as part of the scoring system.

Start him, T. Glenn has been pretty good this year for a number 2 wide out, and the giants dont have great DB's. It would really suck to be down 2 points at the end of the year and kicking yourself for not starting him.

This thread and a similar one we had earlier make a pretty good argument for not having negative points as part of the scoring system.

I do see that logic. Just to avoid these types of situations, leagues might want to do away with negative overall scores (I'd leave -2 per INT and fumble though. Just no negative overall scores). I wonder if it's even ethical to allow owners to bench players to ensure the win. I guess it is since their doing it in order to win, but jeesh... it kinda gives a minute advantage to owners with players on Monday night.

In any case, I totally agree with the earlier posts... the odds of a WR getting a negative are slim to none. And like someone already said, I'd be a little nervous about a possible point adjustment after Monday night. A 2 point lead can easily turn into a 1 point loss the following day. If it were me, I'd definately start Glenn.

I'm up by 2pts, my opponent has no one playing tonight and I got Terry Glenn. It's a yahoo league and total points determine rank after win-loss record. Considering the "Grossman effect" of last MNF, I'm considering playing it safe and benching Glenn to protect the W. If he fumbles the ball and gets carried out on a stretcher I'm focked. Considering my luck with Hasselback and Jordan this week I wouldn't rule it out :dunno: Any thoughts?

start him, i defy you to find one non qb non def that has scored -2 fantasy points this past week. Go hard or go home.

start him, i defy you to find one non qb non def that has scored -2 fantasy points this past week. Go hard or go home.

2 years back I had Duece McAllister get hurt and fumble on the first play of a Sunday nighter that I thought I had locked up.

It happens. The only thing I worry about is the stats are not final yet, your opponent might get those points somehow.

We are talking about a different kind of player here, but remember in week 3 when Plaxico fumbled on a reception he made, they benched him for the remainder of the game. I played him that week and he actually broke even at 0 becuase the reception counted for 24 yards or something close to that. I could have easily been a negative.

Its a hard call because you have to think to yourself if that would actually happen. I just wanted to mention an incident that involved a WR.

After having grossman last Monday night (-1 pt) I'd say bench any player that can get you negative points in a game.

However, the likelyhood that a defense or QB will get you negative points is much higher than a WR or TE or RB so I'd say let him play.

Plus in my game, if there is a tie at the end of the season, the one with the highest points per game wins the tiebreaker.

I would bench him - I beleive last year I played R Williams in a game and he actually had like 5 for -7yds and I actually lost a point or two -

Take the win and never split tens!

I would play him. Yahoo is notorious for adjusting scoring in the middle of the week. Happend to me 2 weeks ago, I won by 1 point but my opponent got a free sack from BUF D on Wednesday so he tied me. With that in mind, 2pts is not a comfortable league in Yahoo, you should start glenn and get more of a cushion.

There's no right decision here.

I lost a week last year after yahoo gave me the win on Tuesday but adjusted the stats on Wednesday.

I also lost earlier this year when I was up by 1 point with only Favre to start on Monday. He scored a -2. My logic for starting him was 1) To get more points for a potential tiebreak. 2) Scoring adjustments can happen on Tuesday or Wednesday so I might need the points.

Howver, that's different than your situation because WRs are much less likely to go negative for the night.

One thing you might want to do is double check all the stats for each player against another site (nfl.com would be a good choice). If there's any discrepancies that hurt you, then definitely start him.

IMO if a player can get negative points and you do not start a player in that spot. You should recieve the maximum number of negative points allowed.

I'm up by 2pts, my opponent has no one playing tonight and I got Terry Glenn. It's a yahoo league and total points determine rank after win-loss record. Considering the "Grossman effect" of last MNF, I'm considering playing it safe and benching Glenn to protect the W. If he fumbles the ball and gets carried out on a stretcher I'm focked. Considering my luck with Hasselback and Jordan this week I wouldn't rule it out :bench: Any thoughts?

I don't like this strategy one bit. I had owners do this in a league I run last season. This year I changed the rules to where if you use a bye week player or leave a roster spot vacant, its a -5 point penalty.

However if your league has no rule against it, there's no reason not to do it.

First play of the game. I wonder if Parcells has one of those sneaky Jap plays (actual quote) up his sleeve.

Terry Glenn is lining up in the backfield with Bledsoe.

Bledsoe pitches the ball to Glenn. Glenn is throwing deep to Owens.

Oh Noes! The throw is intercepted by McQuarters. McQuarters is running.

Wait Glenn has a bead on McQuarters, he's got em. Fumble! Bledsoe has the ball!

Bledsoe's lurching around looking for someone to pitch it to. Bledsoe pitches back to Glenn.

Ouch! That was a major hit by Lavar Arrington. Wait! Glenn fumbled the ball.

Arrington has it he's running 50-40-30-20-10 TD!!

Glenn is still down, the training crew is putting him on the stretcher. Looks like he won't be returning tonight.

-4 game over.

It could happen. :doublethumbsup:

But the likelihood of a starting WR getting negative points is extremely small.

Wilford did it to me yesterday. 26 receiving yards=1 point. Fumble lost= minus 2 points. Final total= minus 1.

And Furry was on my bench. :doublethumbsup:

I am also up by two points and -as of now- have my weekly contest won. My opponent has no more players going, and I have T.O. in tonight's game. Am I going to sit Owens? No way in hell. I don't pull my punches at the end...full steam ahead!

P.S. - grow some cojones :doublethumbsup:

Careful. On MSN points sometimes are adjusted after the game is over. I have seen a 1.6 swing when it said a WR caught: example 64 yrds when really he had 90 some. it was corrected and actually ended up giving that person the win.

I've seen a larger swing than that.

I saw a play that was ruled a forward pass initially and then the ruling was changed to a lateral later.

As such, the QB lost points, the Receiver Gained points, and the number of points changed too.