Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

Walk the Line (Johnny Cash movie)

Saw it On Demand last night.

:rolleyes: :banana:

Even if you don't like his music.

:banana: :dunno:

Changed my opinion of Reese Witherspoon. Makes up for that Legally Blonde cinematic turd.

I just watched it on demand for the first time this weekend. That is one hell of a movie, and Phoenix was robbed at the Oscars. Also, Reese Witherspoon kicked ass. :(

Changed my opinion of Reese Witherspoon. Makes up for that Legally Blonde cinematic turd.

If you haven't seen it check out Election.

I'm in the minority that thinks Walk the Line was overrated.

Don't get me wrong--the acting was GREAT. However, the direction was lackluster and the script was too meandering and disconnected (which is the problem that always happens with bio-pics...you just can't tell the whole story of a person's life in a two hours). In fact, I can't help but thinking that all those bio-pics (Walk the Line, Ali, etc.) are essentially depicted in the same way--through forumulaic and typically uncreative means of storytelling.

Thus, the joke/observation: "Walk the Line was the same movie as Ray...with white people."

Cash was a hell of a musician though...

Did Reese really sing Jackson?

:thumbsup:

from what i read/heard, they sang everything and it was dead on. Reese's voice is a little lighter than June's, but it's almost smoother and prettier. I would buy her album. She really layed on the heavy drawl and it was almost, dare I say, sexy!!

Great movie. I was extremely impressed with how well they both sang.

Exactly. Phoenix really nailed it with Johnny Cash, and though Reese's voice wasn't quite as heavy as June Carter, she did a hell of a job as well. :)

Exactly. Phoenix really nailed it with Johnny Cash, and though Reese's voice wasn't quite as heavy as June Carter, she did a hell of a job as well. :banana:

June Carter sang from further back in her throat, while Reese was a bit more nasal. That being said, it's not something I really noticed during the movie. It hit me later, when I was listening to "Jackson."

Yeah great movie. Phoenix deserved more recognition, he was really amazing.

Phoenix caught my eye when he did to die for. He was very very very good in that movie and has consistently shown he can deliver as far as an actor. His range is superb, he can play a hero, fool or villian with ease.

A definite underappreciated actor.

I liked walk the line too. And for whatever reason, it is watchable many times. Maybe it's the Cash mucis(which i was never really a fan of until I saw this flick). But I do like the movie quite a bit.

For me, this movie has entered the hallowed ground of "if I stumble onto it on TV, I watch it till the end". Not many movies reach that status. Not that it's a groundbreaking as other movies in that category (Shawshank, etc), but it's extremely re-watchable.

And Reese Witherspoon can't be judged as an actress on Legally Blonde. I agree with Election, and she was good in Pleasantville too. She looks :( as a brunette in this.

Finally had the chance to watch this last night. What a fantastic performance by both actors. 'Ray' was probably my favorite bio-pic up until I saw this movie. I'm just amazed that Phoenix and Reese both used their own voices - and nailed it. It really added to the quality of the movie.

And, damn, I've got major wood for Reese now. She was hella sexy in that movie. :wub:

There aren't many movies I'd ever buy - I never understood why people did that - but this is one I would gladly purchase.

I got it from Netflix and I think I'll watch it with the Director's commentary before I send it back.

It's hard to even cal this a 'biopic' since it covered such a limited part of their lives. - But certainly, it was arguably the most exciting part of their lives. I only wish they'd lived to see the movie. I think they'd both be pleased & honored that the biggest part of the movie wasn't their success as singers - but story of the power of their love. :pointstosky:

:thumbsup: Good movie.

Thus, the joke/observation: "Walk the Line was the same movie as Ray...with white people."

Thus, my observation, that the "ACADEMY" are a bunch of PC, affirmative action twats. Phoenix was INFINITELY better than that buck toothed a$$wipe Foxx.

Maybe if Phoenix played Johnny in blackface? OSCAR TIME, BABY!!! :bench: