Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

JIMI HENDRIX Song Rights Sold For $15 Million

Reuters reports that a private bidder paid $15 million for the rights to hit songs by U.S. rock guitarist Jimi Hendrix at an auction on Thursday, but a company owned by the musician's family said it will sue to prove it owns the songs.

The rights, title, and interest to songs including "Hey Joe", "Purple Haze", "Voodoo Child", and "Foxy Lady", were sold over the telephone in New York by the estate of Michael Frank Jeffrey, Hendrix's one-time manager.

Hendrix, who was born in Seattle, died in 1970 at the age of 27 in London, after choking on his own vomit. :banana: About 600,000 of his albums are still sold annually.

"Whoever bought this bought themselves the right to be a litigant," Bob Merlis, a spokesman for Experience Hendrix told Reuters. The Seattle-based company is owned by members of Hendrix's family. "It will be contested instantly," he added.

puke. :dunno:

The Hendrix family has been releasing his albums for years now, I didn't think there was any question as to whether or not they own the rights. Also, $15 million seems kind of low, which further leads me to conclude that this ex-manager is a con artist.

The Hendrix family has been releasing his albums for years now, I didn't think there was any question as to whether or not they own the rights. Also, $15 million seems kind of low, which further leads me to conclude that this ex-manager is a con artist.

I was thinking that as well. Only 15 million?? :dunno:

His ex-manager was absolutely a con man, but he's been dead since 1973.

Looks like his descendants have carried on with the family traditions, however.