Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Pelosi loses, moderates win!

here's a nice post from a blog covering MO politics

Earlier this week, the Source reported on Nancy Pelosi’s backing of John Murtha in his bid to become Congressional Majority Leader. Murtha has developed a reputation as one of the more controversial liberals in Washington, which makes Pelosi’s staunch support fairly disturbing.

Thankfully, the rest of the Democratic delegation favors a more mainstream and moderate approach. Despite the hope of Speaker Pelosi, the Democrats elected Steny Hoyer as their majority leader.

The vote total, behind closed doors, was 149 – 86, a very significant margin considering the house’s top representative made it publicly apparent that she would be strongly supporting Murtha.

The vote represents more than a simple defeat for Pelosi – it sheds light on the internal schism that exists in the Democratic Party. More specifically, it illustrates the struggle between Pelosi’s ultra liberal wing and Hoyer’s more moderate branch.

Although, Hoyer has a fairly liberal voting record, he has publicly voiced opposition to the defeatist ‘cut-and-run’ plan endorsed by the likes of Murtha and Pelosi. He is the sensible choice for the leadership position he was just elected to. While the Democrats got it wrong with Pelosi, they may have gotten this one right.

Unfortunately, the ideological divide at the top of their ticket will make internal party politics extremely bitter and divisive. Pelosi’s competence and bipartisan capabilities will be tested by Hoyer’s power. Only time will tell how qualified Pelosi truly is.

http://www.thesource.typepad.com/

:ninja:

Although I like Murtha's stance on the war and am not familiar with Steny Hoyer at all, it's nice to see Pelosi won't be able to ramrod her agenda through her delegation. Murtha apparently has some residue from a 1980 scandal on his back, I'm not sure the Dems need that right now.

More importantly, Pelosi needs a kick to the head. Welcome to reality Nancy.

Murtha apparently has some residue from a 1980 scandal on his back, I'm not sure the Dems need that right now.

Yeah, and he thinks his great grandpappy fought in the Civil War for goodness sakes! :banana:

Yeah, and he thinks his great grandpappy fought in the Civil War for goodness sakes! :dunno:

You need to stop riding that horse or you might start convincing yourself that it's not true.

I think its good that democrats aren't stuck on supporting their own. They aren't party leaders b!tches like republicans. I'm glad they can step back and questino their own part. What if one of the more reasonable and moderate republicans questioned bush's leadership? Republicans passed anything Bush wanted and even got rid of Habeus Corpus. I just hope democrats don't fight over everything internaly because they'll have to fight for every inch with republicans.

I think its good that democrats aren't stuck on supporting their own. They aren't party leaders b!tches like republicans. I'm glad they can step back and questino their own part. What if one of the more reasonable and moderate republicans questioned bush's leadership? Republicans passed anything Bush wanted and even got rid of Habeus Corpus. I just hope democrats don't fight over everything internaly because they'll have to fight for every inch with republicans.

Amen brother! :thumbsdown:

You need to stop riding that horse or you might start convincing yourself that it's not true.

It was a joke. :banana:

BTW - I don't really care if it's true.. it just sounds funny to me for some reason.