Sign in to follow this  
SFGeek

Why are teams so STUPID

Why when teams get a big gain that might be questioned do they get to the line and call a play before snapping the ball? After the long pass to Burress, get up and Spike the ball. Why not burn a down and get the 40 yards, instead Manning sits there and barks out a play. SCREW THE NEXT PLAY AND SPIKE IT! You see this over and over every week. You'd think teams would work at this.

Why when teams get a big gain that might be questioned do they get to the line and call a play before snapping the ball? After the long pass to Burress, get up and Spike the ball. Why not burn a down and get the 40 yards, instead Manning sits there and barks out a play. SCREW THE NEXT PLAY AND SPIKE IT! You see this over and over every week. You'd think teams would work at this.

How bout just not go shotgun, that alone made that last second chance for Del Rio to get the flag out. If a play is a first down, you just have a run play that is planned for every single occasion like this. Call out "blue" and it is an off tackle play "on 1".

That was a 7 pt play for me cause it also would have put Burress over 100 yard for my 2 pt bonus :banana:

Fully agree. Maybe it's like an unwritten rule we're not aware of.

If I were a head coach, I would say that in any situation like that, get back on the line and immediately run the ball up the middle NO MATTER WHAT. Low risk of turnover or lost yardage, and it's simple for the offense to line up quickly.

That was a nice play by Eli though to throw the deep ball when the Jags were offsides. Too bad they got hosed on the non-call (PI).

If I were a head coach, I would say that in any situation like that, get back on the line and immediately run the ball up the middle NO MATTER WHAT. Low risk of turnover or lost yardage, and it's simple for the offense to line up quickly.

It actually seems like they deliberately wait even longer before snapping the ball in a situation like. That's what it always seemed like to me anyway.

That was a nice play by Eli though to throw the deep ball when the Jags were offsides. Too bad they got hosed on the non-call (PI).

Oops, teach me to compliment Eli! Nice throw buddy!

It was a 40 yard play...even if they had done like you said, I would imagine the red flag was already out on the field.

Del Rio already had the red flag ready to be thrown, even before the Giants came anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. I'm not questioning your basic premise--just pointing out that teams can't always get a play off before the red flag gets tossed.

Del Rio already had the red flag ready to be thrown, even before the Giants came anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. I'm not questioning your basic premise--just pointing out that teams can't always get a play off before the red flag gets tossed.

True. He did have the flag out but he wasn't sure enough to throw it had they managed to snap the ball even one second before they did.

I'm not sure it's feasible for an offense to operate throughout an entire game always thinking and being prepared to quick snap after every big play they have. The only person on the Giants who really knew whether or not the ball touched the ground was Plax and he can't really start waving everyone down field to hurry as it would immediately alert the other team. I do think once an offense does realize there is a situtation it would make a lot of sense to have a practiced plan of what to do next and snap the ball.

True, but think of it this way - either the team gets the play off, meaning the big gain must stand... Or the challenge is thrown, negating any possible play. So it's really a no-lose situation.

What you're forgetting is that most times a coach will be standing there with the red flag watching the offense. If they suddenly run up to the line, he's going to throw it before they snap it. If they take their time, he's going to wait to hear if his coaches upstairs see something else. You're going on the assumption that Del Rio could have only thrown the flag when he did, like it wouldn't have been possible for him to throw it earlier. He used as much time as the Giants gave him.

While you are inquiring, if you get to talk to the Coughlin idiot, ask him at what point he is going to realize that the hacks filling in for Toomer SUCK!!!!!!!!

What you're forgetting is that most times a coach will be standing there with the red flag watching the offense. If they suddenly run up to the line, he's going to throw it before they snap it. If they take their time, he's going to wait to hear if his coaches upstairs see something else. You're going on the assumption that Del Rio could have only thrown the flag when he did, like it wouldn't have been possible for him to throw it earlier. He used as much time as the Giants gave him.

Coaches guard those precious challenges, and are hesitant to throw the flag until they've got some confirmation from upstairs that it's a likely overturn. You'll often see one with flag in hand, then return it to his pocket after talking with the box.

This is a good topic, and one that I've wondered about often. With the coaches having radio contact with the QB, it wouldn't be that difficult in that scenario to give him the hurry up call. It would force the opposing head coach to make a quick decision. We forget sometimes that he's seeing everything at field level, which is not a great view, especially on long plays. Worst case scenario for the offense is he decides to challenge and the play is overturned, which is exactly what happened anyway. Best case is you force him to waste a challenge, or play goes on without a challenge flag and you catch the defense off guard. Seems simple to me.