Sign in to follow this  
thill

can someone explain qb negative rushing yards vs sack?

bulger had -6 rushing yards on one play. in the sea v oak game, the oak qb was running for his life, a couple times just running out of bounds. seattle d was credited with a sack for that.

so how is it possible that bulger could have -6 rushing yards on one play? i was getting the impression you could only have negative rushing yards if you down the ball. is that basically what he did? fall to the ground with no one touching him? i don't understand.

:pointstosky:

if you go past the line of scrimage and then run back its negative yards..

If you however dont pass the line and scramble back and get tackled its a sack

I think if it's clearly a designed play for the QB to run the ball, like a QB draw, they'll call it a negative rushing play rather than a sack. Vick had one today I saw on TV. He never even crossed the line of scrimmage:

2-15-ATL15 (4:45) (Shotgun) M.Vick left end to ATL 9 for -6 yards (D.Groce).

if you go past the line of scrimage and then run back its negative yards..

If you however dont pass the line and scramble back and get tackled its a sack

Gonna hafta put you on the list of people on this board I will never listen to.

But hey... if you're gonna go down... go down in flames!

it is only considered a sack if it is determined to be a pass play. i didn't see the bulger play today but it does seem curious because i don't think they ever have designed run plays for him besides a qb sneak. i know when a qb takes a knee at the end of a half that they usually get -1 or -2 yards rushing. qb's also get negative rushing plays from time to time on broken plays where they miss the handoff to the rb or fumble the snap and try to scramble and get tackled for a loss. as long as it isn't determined to be a passing play then it isn't a sack. that is all i know.

Good question. I wish I knew for sure. I do know, at least for the officials, the big determiner between run and pass is how the offensive line blocks. Run play they are allowed to go downfield and initiate contact with whomever they can and pass play they cannot go more than five yards down field and are allowed to use their hands more. I don't know if this has anything to do with whether or not a sack is a sack and a negative rush is a negative rush. I don't think it's got as much to do with the QB's movement as it would seem because if a QB rolls out or heads to the sideline to escape the pass rush, it's ruled a sack if he is tackled behind the line, falls or slips and is touched while down behind the line, or goes out of bounds behind the line. Hopefully someone who truly knows this answer will respond.

i am curious because

a) i have bulger and in our leauge we give negative points for negative yards rushing. i never understand why CBS doesn't go below zero for rushing yards. when a qb runs for 2 then takes a knee for -1 for a net of 1, he gets credit for 0.1 point in our league. but if he takes a knee for -3 then he would get zero points. anyway, we make those adjustments.

:wall: last week, the dolphins had negative rushing yards. but then STATS inc reviewed the tape and changed a -7 yard rush to a sack which gave them positive rushing yards for the day. so i know these things are reviewed and want to stay on top of it.

Gonna hafta put you on the list of people on this board I will never listen to.

But hey... if you're gonna go down... go down in flames!

:unsure: :dunno: :banana: :dunno:

I could be wrong, but if a QB runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, wouldn't that be considered negative yards with no sack?

No. It's still a sack if it was a pass play.

Post detour sign ahead....but I can't help myself. About 5 years ago I lost a fantasy footbal Superbowl because Aaron Brooks took 3 knees (-1,-1,-1) at the end of a game which dropped him below a rushing pt. standard and I lost the points. The entire season of drafting, FA pickups, and trades came down to three focking knees.

I'm not bitter.

I believe it has to do with determining the QB's intention.

If the QBs is scrambling to keep the pass play alive, it'll be ruled a sack.

If the QB tucks the ball in and tries to run for yardage, it'll be ruled a running play.

im assuming that must be what it is, but for -6 yards? here is the drive:

1-10-STL20 (7:23) S.Jackson up the middle to SL 27 for 7 yards (D.Smith).

2-3-STL27 (6:51) S.Jackson up the middle to SL 29 for 2 yards (M.Douglas).

3-1-STL29 (6:14) S.Jackson right tackle to SL 32 for 3 yards (B.Moore, K.Lewis).

1-10-STL32 (5:41) M.Bulger pass short left to T.Holt to SL 40 for 8 yards (K.Lewis).

2-2-STL40 (5:07) S.Jackson left tackle to SL 41 for 1 yard (M.Douglas).

3-1-STL41 (4:22) S.Jackson up the middle to SL 45 for 4 yards (W.Harris).

1-10-STL45 (3:52) M.Bulger pass short right to I.Bruce to SF 44 for 11 yards (K.Lewis).

1-10-SF44 (3:20) M.Bulger to 50 for -6 yards (R.Fields).

2-16-50 (2:49) M.Bulger pass short left to T.Holt to SF 47 for 3 yards (W.Harris). FUMBLES (W.Harris), RECOVERED by SF-W.Harris at 50. W.Harris for 50 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by SL and REVERSED. M.Bulger pass incomplete short left to T.Holt (W.Harris).

3-16-50 (2:37) (Shotgun) M.Bulger sacked at SL 41 for -9 yards (sack split by R.Green and B.Young).

4-25-STL41 (2:12) M.Turk punts 40 yards to SF 19, Center-C.Massey, fair catch by A.Battle.

i wish someone watching the game could tell me what happened.

im assuming that must be what it is, but for -6 yards? here is the drive:

1-10-STL20 (7:23) S.Jackson up the middle to SL 27 for 7 yards (D.Smith).

2-3-STL27 (6:51) S.Jackson up the middle to SL 29 for 2 yards (M.Douglas).

3-1-STL29 (6:14) S.Jackson right tackle to SL 32 for 3 yards (B.Moore, K.Lewis).

1-10-STL32 (5:41) M.Bulger pass short left to T.Holt to SL 40 for 8 yards (K.Lewis).

2-2-STL40 (5:07) S.Jackson left tackle to SL 41 for 1 yard (M.Douglas).

3-1-STL41 (4:22) S.Jackson up the middle to SL 45 for 4 yards (W.Harris).

1-10-STL45 (3:52) M.Bulger pass short right to I.Bruce to SF 44 for 11 yards (K.Lewis).

1-10-SF44 (3:20) M.Bulger to 50 for -6 yards (R.Fields).

2-16-50 (2:49) M.Bulger pass short left to T.Holt to SF 47 for 3 yards (W.Harris). FUMBLES (W.Harris), RECOVERED by SF-W.Harris at 50. W.Harris for 50 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by SL and REVERSED. M.Bulger pass incomplete short left to T.Holt (W.Harris).

3-16-50 (2:37) (Shotgun) M.Bulger sacked at SL 41 for -9 yards (sack split by R.Green and B.Young).

4-25-STL41 (2:12) M.Turk punts 40 yards to SF 19, Center-C.Massey, fair catch by A.Battle.

i wish someone watching the game could tell me what happened.

I'll watch the game again this week... if you really care... I'll let ya know for sure... but...

I was watching it Sunday, and I'm pretty sure it was a busted play.