Sign in to follow this  
davebg

Stewardess banned from bringing Bible w/her to Saudi Arabia

An air stewardess is claiming religious discrimination against an airline which she says banned her from taking the Bible to Saudi Arabia.

The stewardess has been told by BMI that it is against the law of the insular Middle Eastern country to bring in religious books other than the Koran.

The woman, who is understood to be a committed Christian, takes her bible everywhere she goes and is now set to take the airline to an industrial tribunal claiming discrimination on religious grounds.

BMI, formerly British Midland Airways, said today it was merely following the Foreign Office advice that no non-Islamic materials or artefacts are allowed into the country.

A spokesman from the airline said: "We issue advice to all our staff and passengers that these are the guidelines.

"She is saying she wants to carry her bible with her. We are saying we can't start designing rules around individuals when we've got several hundred members of staff. To take every personal preference into account would be impossible."

On its web site the Foreign Office says of Saudi Arabia: "The importation and use of narcotics, alcohol, pork products and religious books, apart from the Koran, and artefacts are forbidden."

BMI said it offered the stewardess the opportunity to transfer from long-haul duties to short-haul, but she refused.

The case follows that of British Airways worker Nadia Eweida, also committed Christian, whose objection to BA rules which forbade her visibly wearing a cross led to a review by BA of its uniform policy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...9/ubible119.xml

the only defense they have is this....

they dont want terrorist attacks on their plane/company

and

if she doesn't like the rules, she is free to quit. a job is a privilege, not a right

the only defense they have is this....

they dont want terrorist attacks on their plane/company

and

if she doesn't like the rules, she is free to quit. a job is a privilege, not a right

I don't think her case has much merit, as the airline is merely trying to follow the law of the country that it is working in. Not to mention that the airline offered to modify her assignment.

My commentary was more for Saudi Arabia and the Muslim people. You know, the folks who take every opportunity to p|ss and moan about how they are singled out and not treated fairly in the US...while it is a crime for someone to bring a bible into their own country. :)

Muther fockers :banana: all the time about how the West needs to show Islam some respect. That's a two way street Abdullah. :banana:

My commentary was more for Saudi Arabia and the Muslim people. You know, the folks who take every opportunity to p|ss and moan about how they are singled out and not treated fairly in the US...while it is a crime for someone to bring a bible into their own country. :)

Muther fockers :clap: all the time about how the West needs to show Islam some respect. That's a two way street Abdullah. :banana:

:banana:

My commentary was more for Saudi Arabia and the Muslim people. You know, the folks who take every opportunity to p|ss and moan about how they are singled out and not treated fairly in the US...while it is a crime for someone to bring a bible into their own country. :dunno:

Some American relatives of mind who lived in Saudi Arabia for a while routinely smuggled bibles in after visiting the states. SA is one of the most radically Islamist countries, it's hell to be a woman born there. What moderate muslims hate to note is the fact the most radical country is home to Mecca, the holiest of places in Islam. Anyway the moderate muslims will tell you they wouldn't have a problem with it.

I don't think her case has much merit, as the airline is merely trying to follow the law of the country that it is working in. Not to mention that the airline offered to modify her assignment.

My commentary was more for Saudi Arabia and the Muslim people. You know, the folks who take every opportunity to p|ss and moan about how they are singled out and not treated fairly in the US...while it is a crime for someone to bring a bible into their own country. :dunno:

Muther fockers :lol: all the time about how the West needs to show Islam some respect. That's a two way street Abdullah. :dunno:

Might also be interested to know that you can't get into Saudi if you have an Israeli passport - or even an Israeli stamp in your passport.

- Saudi used to state that very clearly on their visa website. After much protest, they still have the rule - they just don't publish it.

The same goes for the UAE: "Nationals of “Israel” may not enter the U.A.E."

But hey, Gawd forbid if we "racially profile" Arabs....

Some American relatives of mind who lived in Saudi Arabia for a while routinely smuggled bibles in after visiting the states. SA is one of the most radically Islamist countries, it's hell to be a woman born there. What moderate muslims hate to note is the fact the most radical country is home to Mecca, the holiest of places in Islam. Anyway the moderate muslims will tell you they wouldn't have a problem with it.

that's not really the point. It's a significant percentage of Muslims that share these views. It would be one thing if we were talking about a radical Christian blowing up abortion clinics and saying "well most moderate christians don't blow up abortion clinics" but we're not. 99.99% of christians don't blow up abortion clinics, but the percentage of muslims who have these types of views, which are thousands of years out of date, is much higher. That's why Dave keeps posting these threads. It's not like this is the first one or that he's singling out one country. He's posted a bunch of these threads highlighting this aspect of the Muslim religion.

that's not really the point. It's a significant percentage of Muslims that share these views. It would be one thing if we were talking about a radical Christian blowing up abortion clinics and saying "well most moderate christians don't blow up abortion clinics" but we're not. 99.99% of christians don't blow up abortion clinics, but the percentage of muslims who have these types of views, which are thousands of years out of date, is much higher. That's why Dave keeps posting these threads. It's not like this is the first one or that he's singling out one country. He's posted a bunch of these threads highlighting this aspect of the Muslim religion.

Yeah I know, I wasn't trying to go against Dave's point, more like bring out that moderate muslims would say that to excuse muslims on whole. And the point about Mecca being in Saudi Arabia is that they'll often try to distance themselves from the practices there, yet what should be the most legitimate foundation for their beliefs has signficant roots there. If they oppose, they're actually opposing Islam.

I try to be fairly open-minded, but I never can understand the stupidity of Arabs who want all the freedom in the world to practice their faith here in America - even sue to do so - But when you mention doing the same thing with Judaism or Christianity in their home country - ALLAH FORBID! (insert country here) is a MUSLIM nation! - Do they not get the absolute hypocrisy of that? That's why I use the word "stupid". I mean, a difference of opinion is one thing, this is just - stupid.

Do you realize in Afghanistan - yeah that's right - the one we "liberated" from extremism, it is still punishible by death to convert from Islam?? - Apostacy is what they call it.

In my opinion, it demonstrates a weakness in a belief system if you have to sensor opposing beliefs. I can say confidently as a Christian that in my experience we welcome all opposing views. I have several texts of other religions on my shelf, I just believe they are false.

Do you realize in Afghanistan - yeah that's right - the one we "liberated" from extremism, it is still punishible by death to convert from Islam?? - Apostacy is what they call it.

Link

They're a very tolerant bunch, those Muslims.

They drum it into our heads to be respectful and to observe the host nation's customs. It's very hard to remain open-minded when you're surrounded by folks who just can't make the connection. :cheers: