Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

When was the Last Time You Played A Pick Up Game of Football

What say you? Last time you played...when? Touch-tackle? Street-Field? Women?

I used to play tackle football nearly every day from the time I was 6 to 17 years of age. Either at the high school football field or soccer fields at the park. Last time I played was touch football 2 years ago after our local league draft. I realized at that point I needed to get back in shape--LOL!!! Since then I've lost about 45 pounds, hitting the weights, and I'm starting to run sprints so I can join a flag football league because I miss playing the game. (I'm turning 37 in a little over a month, so I've had to train a lot more to get back into decent condition--no more full court basketball games in 100 degree southern weather and a plate of brownies afterwards...)

But with the exception of one buddy in Atlanta all my friends are too busy, too out of shape, or too injured... Pros/Cons with these leagues? Probably will be competing against college students since most of the leagues will be university or YMCA-ran in a big college town...

Any advice, observations? Or just share the last time you played as mentioned above. Just curious to see.

Played pick up at Thanksgiving. I play in winter and spring flag leagues. You are right that there are alot of good athletes in these leagues. More often than not though, you have different skill levels. Even though it sounds fun to have 5-6 of your buddies on a team, this is not wise because you will get destroyed every week(unless you guys are in really good shape). We always have a couple of young "ringers" on the team to balance out our sorry old asses. This way we can win a few and have fun. I would suggest practicing a few times also.

Played pick up at Thanksgiving. I play in winter and spring flag leagues. You are right that there are alot of good athletes in these leagues. More often than not though, you have different skill levels. Even though it sounds fun to have 5-6 of your buddies on a team, this is not wise because you will get destroyed every week(unless you guys are in really good shape). We always have a couple of young "ringers" on the team to balance out our sorry old asses. This way we can win a few and have fun. I would suggest practicing a few times also.

Thanks, good advice. I've seen some sites even devoted to strategy of flag football plays. Printed up a few of these plays several months ago.

How long have you been playing?

i played 19 days ago (12/2) and my body is just now recovering.

you'll definetly want to be in REAL GOOD shape to play. my friend plays in a Flag league and there are some very very good atheletes in them. not only do you want to be able to keep up with them, but you also don't want to be like me, still feeling the affects almost 3 weeks later.

i played 19 days ago (12/2) and my body is just now recovering.

you'll definetly want to be in REAL GOOD shape to play. my friend plays in a Flag league and there are some very very good atheletes in them. not only do you want to be able to keep up with them, but you also don't want to be like me, still feeling the affects almost 3 weeks later.

Makes sense. I have a ways to go. I do weights about 3-4 days per week for a half hour (core strength--alternating workouts on front and back w/ab work each workout), and I do 1/2 hour on the stairmaster set to speed intervals. Just started doing jump rope (about 15 minutes after the 1/2 hour cardio workout), but one of my knees started acting up afterwards (never had a knee problem before so not sure what the deal is). Doing sprint workouts twice a week and working up from 10-15 minutes worth of work at this point on these after the weights...Hopefully by fall I can run for a couple of hours without feeling what you're talking about...

BTW--your screen name is of one of my favorite college football players (and to an extent pro) during childhood...

If you want to play tackle football, on a saturday drive by some of the local parks/schools. Me and my friends have been playing football for a while every saturday. I like tackle better because theres a place for everyone. For flag football, if you're not fast you're pretty much useless. Well i guess it depends on the league. A lot of the leagues that are tied to the same "name" and have national tournaments every year have weird rules. No line, very little contact, and are generaly abotu speed speed speed. I played in a flag league that used a line so it was alright. But yea, you'll be suprised by the level of competition on weekend warrior games. Last year we had about 4 former BYU players and 1 current BYU RB play with us. Even aside from those guys we had some pretty bad ass players. THen we had some scrubs too. We always welcome new additions. But yea, i don't know what the chances are of you finding a game. We vary the time we play. Earlier in summer, a lil later in the winter. And the park we play at is pretty deep inside of a neighborhood. You can't see it from one of the main main streets.

The reason i hate flag is because usualy i play QB and i'm not the fastest guy. I've always been good at avoiding pressure in tackle by sidestepping, spinning, stepping up, and other varoius ways. When i do that, the guy will miss me by only a few feet. Then i tried to play Flag QB and i would do the same thing. Only this time, the guy that would miss would be able to reach out and grab my flag. There'd be times where i wasn't even worried about the pressure and then all the sudden i'd hear the whistle and look down to see my flag laying there. It was unbelievable.

As for the soreness, the first few times you play you'll be sore for a while. But just like weightlifting, eventualy it won't be that bad. I'm sure the first few weeks of lifting you'd be sore for 4-5 days but after a while it was probably just a day or two, and sometimes barely even sore. If you stick it out, eventualy you'll be sore for mabye a day or two.

If you keep that up you will definitely be in good shape. I was hurting because I am out of shape and made no preparations before playing other than light stretching. You’re not playing until next Fall though? If you look around you can probably find leagues that run in the Winter and Spring etc. My friend just joined a team and their season started a couple weeks ago. The Fall season was over and now it’s the Winter season. He said they have Spring season and Summer too. So there’s basically never a layoff, they go all year round.

I loved Byars when he played for the Eagles. :dunno:

If you keep that up you will definitely be in good shape. I was hurting because I am out of shape and made no preparations before playing other than light stretching. You’re not playing until next Fall though? If you look around you can probably find leagues that run in the Winter and Spring etc. My friend just joined a team and their season started a couple weeks ago. The Fall season was over and now it’s the Winter season. He said they have Spring season and Summer too. So there’s basically never a layoff, they go all year round.

I loved Byars when he played for the Eagles. :banana:

Yep Byars was the man...I remember him throwing a 40+ yard TD pass on an option at OSU against Iowa(?) with his non-throwing arm. He was an excellent football player all around.

..yep, I've been doing the cardio for a year, weights for 6 months, and the sprints/rope work for a few weeks. I'm not stopping now.

Thanks, good advice. I've seen some sites even devoted to strategy of flag football plays. Printed up a few of these plays several months ago.

How long have you been playing?

This will be our fifth season...so a little over 2 years. There is nothing special about any of us so we play in the "c" league("a" being the best..college, arena guys..etc). You gotta have some younger guys and some sort of strategy and you will have fun. The younger guys have fun because they are our studs and find it amusing playing with us fossils(30 somethings)

This will be our fifth season...so a little over 2 years. There is nothing special about any of us so we play in the "c" league("a" being the best..college, arena guys..etc). You gotta have some younger guys and some sort of strategy and you will have fun. The younger guys have fun because they are our studs and find it amusing playing with us fossils(30 somethings)

Yeah that's what I hear from my trainer. He's a former safety at FSU and plays with these UGA alums and arena guys on a regular basis.

How do most of your flag leagues work? Is it the style that there are no linemen? I played once with some guys that played in tourny's all over america and it was weird. One defender started 5 yards off of the line of scrimmage and as soon as the qb snapped it he could rush. I don't remember the exact rules but it was so far gone from football it was unplayable for me. But i guess if you get use to it, its not so bad. Or do your leagues have lines and all that good stuff?

1.1 AIDS

1.2 zmanzzzz

We have a regular tackle game with a group of guys, usually 7 on 7 every Saturday morning. :cheers:

Flag on an inner city league in Bama about two years ago. I suppose I'll see if there is a league out in CO.

Flag on an inner city league in Bama about two years ago. I suppose I'll see if there is a league out in CO.

Pretty sure there are...get ready for the altitude adjustment :thumbsdown:

Pretty sure there are...get ready for the altitude adjustment :mad:

Looking forward to it, bro. :mad:

That and the beer. :D

Looking forward to it, bro. :mad:

That and the beer. :D

I bet...you deserve it I'm sure...

I love to play but can't find anywhere to play in Houston that isn't an hour away. Most of the leagues are either in-town or on the northwest side. Plus most of my friends aren't doing the flag football thing, mostly softball or baseball.

When I was in college, I played quite a bit. I am a badass deep snapper (did it in high school) and use to play with a guy that could take off running and I could snap it to him on the run. The only problem is my hands. I have cinder blocks attached to my arms. :D

I love to play but can't find anywhere to play in Houston that isn't an hour away. Most of the leagues are either in-town or on the northwest side. Plus most of my friends aren't doing the flag football thing, mostly softball or baseball.

When I was in college, I played quite a bit. I am a badass deep snapper (did it in high school) and use to play with a guy that could take off running and I could snap it to him on the run. The only problem is my hands. I have cinder blocks attached to my arms. :(

I can catch and break tackles, but I'm not super fast. I'm the Cris Carter of old man flag football...slow, but good hands...that's the problem...I need to improve my speed and stamina. If I can wear out the younger guys then I might have a chance as their speed moves a notch down to mine :clap:

August while working in Alaska. Got a lovely broken finger for the effort....

Now how can I drive :cheers: :dunno:

I played a few weeks ago. I threw a 102 yd TD pass (94 yards through the air) then on defense decapitated a guy coming through the middle by looking at him. As soon as the game ended I sprinted non-stop to Miami Florida and beat the sh!t out of Kimbo Slice....

Who am I?

I played a few weeks ago. I threw a 102 yd TD pass (94 yards through the air) then on defense decapitated a guy coming through the middle by looking at him. As soon as the game ended I sprinted non-stop to Miami Florida and beat the sh!t out of Kimbo Slice....

Who am I?

A US Senator? :huh:

couple years ago i was out in DC, and the congressional staffs have leagues against each other. I played the weekend I was out there, and even got me an INT :huh:

Who am I?

chuck norris? :mad:

A US Senator? :huh:

my boss has played the last 2 years in the charity game with members of congress against capitol police, to raise money for the children of fallen cap. police officers.

Tom Osbourne has been their coach and always draws up these crazy plays to use against the cops :mad:

How do most of your flag leagues work? Is it the style that there are no linemen? I played once with some guys that played in tourny's all over america and it was weird. One defender started 5 yards off of the line of scrimmage and as soon as the qb snapped it he could rush. I don't remember the exact rules but it was so far gone from football it was unplayable for me. But i guess if you get use to it, its not so bad. Or do your leagues have lines and all that good stuff?

Most are 4 on 4, 5 on 5....no linemen, everyone is eligible. Rusher can go at the snap but has to be 7 yards back and QB cannot run.

Makes sense. I have a ways to go. I do weights about 3-4 days per week for a half hour (core strength--alternating workouts on front and back w/ab work each workout), and I do 1/2 hour on the stairmaster set to speed intervals. Just started doing jump rope (about 15 minutes after the 1/2 hour cardio workout), but one of my knees started acting up afterwards (never had a knee problem before so not sure what the deal is). Doing sprint workouts twice a week and working up from 10-15 minutes worth of work at this point on these after the weights...Hopefully by fall I can run for a couple of hours without feeling what you're talking about...

BTW--your screen name is of one of my favorite college football players (and to an extent pro) during childhood...

If your knees are acting up, you should get an x-ray. I tore cartilage in my knee and kept playing softball and running on the treadmill. I knew something was wrong, but kept putting it off until my buddy blew his knee out and decided to get mine check out. Well, during the surgery they found arthritis. I was not even 30 then, so arthritis can hit you at any age. The worst thing you can do if you have arthritis and/or torn cartilage is run on treadmills, hard pavement, jump rope, etc. My knees swell up after I work out, but I used the elliptical now and make sure I warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before I do anything. It helps the joints. I am not saying this is your problem, could be nothing, could be something worse, but it only takes about 20 minutes to have an orthapedic surgeon check it out.

August while working in Alaska. Got a lovely broken finger for the effort....

Now how can I drive :dunno: :huh:

Super!

If your knees are acting up, you should get an x-ray. I tore cartilage in my knee and kept playing softball and running on the treadmill. I knew something was wrong, but kept putting it off until my buddy blew his knee out and decided to get mine check out. Well, during the surgery they found arthritis. I was not even 30 then, so arthritis can hit you at any age. The worst thing you can do if you have arthritis and/or torn cartilage is run on treadmills, hard pavement, jump rope, etc. My knees swell up after I work out, but I used the elliptical now and make sure I warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before I do anything. It helps the joints. I am not saying this is your problem, could be nothing, could be something worse, but it only takes about 20 minutes to have an orthapedic surgeon check it out.

Good advice. My knee didn't swell at all. It didn't ache unless I jumped or tried to run. I actually did sprints yesterday and it didn't bother me. But I have been staying away from the jump rope. Sounds like a good idea to check it out though.

Most are 4 on 4, 5 on 5....no linemen, everyone is eligible. Rusher can go at the snap but has to be 7 yards back and QB cannot run.

Weak sauce. We played today again and as usual i played QB and i couldn't imagine doing the same in flag. There were countless occasions where a guy had his hands on me but i was able to break free. In flag football thats a sack everytime. 7 yards back?! I couldn't do something like that.

But today i was pretty confused. When i play QB i rarely get tackled. Don't wanna sound cocky or anything but while scrambling behind the line of scrimmage i'll break tackles, juke people, and generaly don't get sacked even if someone has two arms around me. But once i get into the open field i'm useless. The way we play is the QB can't run unless the D blitzes, weird rule but when you play all the time you come up with random rules to better the play. One a few plays i ran it as a RB but couldn't do sh!t. I might get lucky and break one tackle but tahts it. Why is that?

Good advice. My knee didn't swell at all. It didn't ache unless I jumped or tried to run. I actually did sprints yesterday and it didn't bother me. But I have been staying away from the jump rope. Sounds like a good idea to check it out though.

Try an MRI as well. You'll probably have to ask your Dr. yourself because they hardly ever suggest getting one. Glucosomine and Chondroitin works alright.

Weak sauce. We played today again and as usual i played QB and i couldn't imagine doing the same in flag. There were countless occasions where a guy had his hands on me but i was able to break free. In flag football thats a sack everytime. 7 yards back?! I couldn't do something like that.

But today i was pretty confused. When i play QB i rarely get tackled. Don't wanna sound cocky or anything but while scrambling behind the line of scrimmage i'll break tackles, juke people, and generaly don't get sacked even if someone has two arms around me. But once i get into the open field i'm useless. The way we play is the QB can't run unless the D blitzes, weird rule but when you play all the time you come up with random rules to better the play. One a few plays i ran it as a RB but couldn't do sh!t. I might get lucky and break one tackle but tahts it. Why is that?

Try an MRI as well. You'll probably have to ask your Dr. yourself because they hardly ever suggest getting one. Glucosomine and Chondroitin works alright.

Damn, my knee hasn't been acting up this much!!! You guys are beginning to scare me... :blink:

Seriously, I'll check it out if it acts up again, but feels great now.

Damn, my knee hasn't been acting up this much!!! You guys are beginning to scare me... :pointstosky:

Seriously, I'll check it out if it acts up again, but feels great now.

Yea, any time you mention a knee problem or somethign you'll get a hundred horror stories and more often than not, you'll be ok. Probably just age catching up.

Whenever i play basketball my knee will randomly give out and then be fine. And it won't even be when i jump or make a hard cut always. Sometimes i'll be spotting up to shoot a three and as soon as i go to shoot it'll give out and i'll throw up an airball. Then after that i'll be able to run, shoot, jump fine for another 15 min and it'll happen again. It'll just like buckle or something.

The Glucosomine and Chondroitin stuff is a supplement you can get just about anywhere. It comes in pills or liquid form. Its suppose to help with joints/tissue and stuff. Maybe it was the placebo effect or something but it seemed to help me recover from an ankle injury. Look it up on google and see if its what you need.

Yea, any time you mention a knee problem or somethign you'll get a hundred horror stories and more often than not, you'll be ok. Probably just age catching up.

Whenever i play basketball my knee will randomly give out and then be fine. And it won't even be when i jump or make a hard cut always. Sometimes i'll be spotting up to shoot a three and as soon as i go to shoot it'll give out and i'll throw up an airball. Then after that i'll be able to run, shoot, jump fine for another 15 min and it'll happen again. It'll just like buckle or something.

The Glucosomine and Chondroitin stuff is a supplement you can get just about anywhere. It comes in pills or liquid form. Its suppose to help with joints/tissue and stuff. Maybe it was the placebo effect or something but it seemed to help me recover from an ankle injury. Look it up on google and see if its what you need.

Good deal...I'm not getting old in body without a fight :pointstosky:

(Yeah, I'll lose...eventually....just how eventually is the fun part)