Sign in to follow this  
BudBro

want to make some money on this global warming

after hearing and reading all this nonsense from al gore and cam diaz and the rest of the wonks spouting their carbon neutral crap, i thought it was time to find out the rest of the story. so here it is...in all its hypocritical splendor.

after all the banter about algore wasting all the energy he does, his spokewoman said, "To balance out other carbon emissions, the Gores invest money in projects to reduce energy consumption," Kalee Kreider said. now, anybody with any sense would know that he would only do this if there was something in it for him. turns out.....there is!

i initially thought they send money to the sierra club or greenpeace or moms against logging where there might be birds living or something. nope, algore and the wonks are investing in the truest sense of the word.

Generation Investment Management is a London based investment firm which has been set up to tap growing demand for an investment style that blends traditional equity research with a focus on other factors such as social and environmental responsibility and corporate governance.

Al Gore is chairman of Generation Investment, with David Blood — previously chief executive of Goldman Sachs Asset Management — as managing partner. This pair have given the company its nickname, "Blood and Gore". (you've got to be kidding)

The November 2004 press release announcing the launch of the firm included the following quote from Gore:

I'm delighted to join David Blood in founding this firm. The issue of sustainability has always been a passion of mine. Helping to establish the competitive business advantages of sustainability in an investment context with this exceptional team is a very exciting challenge.

Transparency, innovation, eco-efficiency, investing in the community, nurturing and motivating employees, managing long-term risks, and embracing long-term opportunities are integral parts of a company's enduring capability to create value. Business leaders who align their business strategy and technical development with sustainability and social accountability will deliver superior long-term results to shareholders.

transparency is, as usual, not the case. diaz and dicaprio and the rest of the "holier than thous" send in their "carbon credit" money to algore's investment company, which helps them purchase equities in companies they consider to be "green." they make you think they feel badly for their actions and are making charitable type donations to help the cause. nope! i didn't have time to study the 30 to 50 companies they purchase, but i doubt they are as green as they are said to be.

so, let's break it down for the global warming bandwagon types and make a little money at the same time, eh? we fly our private jets to the bahamas and drive our hummers to the mall, then send algore $1000 check for our "carbon" credits. he invests it for a fee, we make some money if the stock rises (but we don't if it falls), and if his generation investment management company makes a profit for the year, they will donate 5% to the generation foundation (which i was too bored at this point to care about reading about). so, the next time you hear cameron or her cronies talk about purchasing carbon credits, she is really lying (duh) so you will think more highly of her and will support her movies. she is investing her money in the stock market, and probably not the stock market in the united states, but the one in london. it is no different that john kerry being invested in halliburton. when it gets down to the nut cuttin, everybody is a conservative.

now the past few months are starting to make sense. can you think of a better way to make money than to use an oscar winning motion picture, which is disingenuous in every way, as a marketing tool? algore is pullin your chain, kids.

Man, it's bad enough that you post a GW thread every damn day, but do you have to follow me around the bar at night too??

No means NO Mister. :wall:

Wow, you've really put yourself out on a rather shaky limb there.

And how is that? Gore and his little minions are busted. Period. Its a money making scheme. You dumb focks bought into it.

And how is that? Gore and his little minions are busted. Period. Its a money making scheme. You dumb focks bought into it.

Yeah, you've convinced me.

How is this movie "disingenuous in every way"? Have you even seen the picture?

I'm far from a bleeding heart liberal but it's pretty obvious the planet is warming. Over the last century the average temperature has climbed around the world. The spring ice thaw in the Northern Hemisphere occurs 9 days earlier than it did 150 years ago, while the fall freeze starts 10 days later. Not to mention the 1990s was the warmest decade since the mid-1800s (when record-keeping started). It doesn't take a rocket scientist (no pun intended) to figure out the things we're pumping into our atmosphere, oceans, and earth are causing adverse effects with the climate.

I don't care what Al Gores motivation or business ventures are.

:wacko:

wait a minute...its possible to help keep temperatures down AND make money?!?

how can they get away with this????

:unsure:

wait a minute...its possible to help keep temperatures down AND make money?!?

how can they get away with this????

:thumbsdown:

The point is, only one of those will happen. The temperature part....will never happen. This is the largest snake oil campaign ever. Carbon offsets........BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAH! This sh!t cracks me up.

Wow, what a shock, he has a vested interest and he's going to make $ off "his personal cause." If he was a Conservative he'd be lit up in the media like it was 7-4. :thumbsdown:

this is why it pays to check this bored more often than that other ff bored. they just got the news yesterday (March 1) from the wall street journal. you learned it here on the 28th, and i don't work for the wall street journal.

From the WSJ:

"The Tennessean reported that Gore buys "carbon offsets" to compensate for his home's use of energy from carbon-based fuels. As Wikipedia explains, a carbon offset "is a service that tries to reduce the net carbon emissions of individuals or organizations indirectly, through proxies who reduce their emissions and/or increase their absorption of greenhouse gases." . . .

But how Gore buys his "carbon offsets," as revealed by The Tennessean raises serious questions. According to the newspaper's report, Gore buys his carbon offsets through Generation Investment Management:

Gore helped found Generation Investment Management, through which he and others pay for offsets. The firm invests the money in solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe . . .

Gore is chairman of the firm and, presumably, draws an income or will make money as its investments prosper. In other words, he "buys" his "carbon offsets" from himself, through a transaction designed to boost his own investments and return a profit to himself. To be blunt, Gore doesn't buy "carbon offsets" through Generation Investment Management--he buys stocks. . . .

Meanwhile, Gore runs around the country and the world trumpeting "climate crisis" and blaming man's use of carbon-based energy--burning thousands of gallons of jet fuel as he goes. His efforts have served to put climate change at the top of the national and even global agenda, driving up the value of the stocks and companies viewed as "green" or environmentally friendly. Companies like those his investment management firm invest his own and other peoples' [sic] money in. (You can see a list of Generation Investment Management's holdings here, courtesy of the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission.) "

the wsj may put it in better terms than i, but the bottom line is this is a scam to make regular people think rich people are doing something to offset their abuse of the environment, all the while preaching of its demise and making a profit from it. i'm cool with them investing their money, it's what makes the world go round...he's just lying about the true nature of it. the gw problem apparently isn't as tragic as gore makes it out to be since he hasn't slowed down his personal destruction, nor has hollywood slowed theirs. i think it's time we, the people, called a collective bullshiit on the whole thing and stopped supporting any of them.