Sign in to follow this  
Bigtraine

Workout Geeks: Cardio Question

I have a question about why different cardio exercises seem to be 'easier' than others.

For example, today on a recumbant bike, I did 52 minutes while keeping a 120 heart rate for the firs 20 minutes, 140 for the next 27 minutes, and 160 for the final five before a 2 minute cooldown. Why is it that I can maintain these levels but running a block winds me so much more?

And it seems to be different for different people. I have a friend that gets blown up really quick doing elliptical machines, but can jog on the treadmill forever. Conversely, I have another friend that claims he has to go twice as long on an elliptical to get the same workout as on a treadmill.

Just wondering why that is. Anyone know?

Because neckbeards aren't very aerodynamic. :unsure:

Because neckbeards aren't very aerodynamic. :unsure:

That might explain it for me, but not why it seems to be a consistant thing among people.

Is it the muscles being used maybe? But, it's not really muscle fatigue as much as the actual getting winded part that I notice a difference on.

Add some focking tension.

I don't know if that was the problem, because I was working hard enough to get my heartrate up (according to the heartrate monitor thingy attached to it). Although I guess I could run around the block a few times and check my heartrate then and see if it's above the 140 to correspond with the heavier breathing.

I don't know if that was the problem, because I was working hard enough to get my heartrate up (according to the heartrate monitor thingy attached to it). Although I guess I could run around the block a few times and check my heartrate then and see if it's above the 140 to correspond with the heavier breathing.

Go take a Spinning class. I double tooty-fruity dog dare ya!

:unsure:

Guest Black Label Society

I JUST got back from the gym...no treadmills were open, so I jumped on a bike.

On the tread, I try to keep my HR around 145 for about 20 minutes, which literally wipes me out (ex smoker to boot)

I went 20 minutes on the bike, at level 10 for the most part, HR was around 155-160 and I wasn't nearly as tired as on the tread.

So I see what you're saying...but to answer your question...I don't know.

I JUST got back from the gym...no treadmills were open, so I jumped on a bike.

On the tread, I try to keep my HR around 145 for about 20 minutes, which literally wipes me out (ex smoker to boot)

I went 20 minutes on the bike, at level 10 for the most part, HR was around 155-160 and I wasn't nearly as tired as on the tread.

So I see what you're saying...but to answer your question...I don't know.

You would if you had a girlfriend.

Guest Black Label Society

You would if you had a girlfriend.

Why do my ribs hurt?

fuckker

Add some focking tension.

exactly the treadmill and bike offer no resistance. when you REALLY ride a bike or REALLY go jogging you are actually moving your body weight. Also it's winter so at least where i'm from it's cold and that wipes you out a lot faster when exercising in the cold than at room temp