Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Benson, RB Chi 2007

With TJ gone to the Jets, does Benson become a top 20 RB? 15? 10?

:o

Since he'll be injured by training camp, I'm not sure how high you want to move him. He'll still be pulled on passing downs because he can't catch or pass block, and he's really not that great of a runner. I think Bears fans are going to be disappointed this year.

And I say this as a Texas fan who watched him play for us for years. Jets got a steal.

Since he'll be injured by training camp, I'm not sure how high you want to move him. He'll still be pulled on passing downs because he can't catch or pass block, and he's really not that great of a runner. I think Bears fans are going to be disappointed this year.

And I say this as a Texas fan who watched him play for us for years. Jets got a steal.

:rolleyes:

I think AP's value just went up the way Benson gets hurt. AP can catch well out of the backfield and has ran well with his limited touches.

How many times has been hurt? There was that one play 2 years ago that looked pretty bad and he bounced back quick and he got knocked out of the SB. Did he get hurt a lot in college?

i'm going to let someone else take that chance. he hasn't proven to me he's capable of handling the load both from a talent standpoint and a health standpoint.

someone else can take the risk with him. i'm not.

This question is real simple:

Benson owners expect to see about 1400 yards rushing with 12Td's and another 200 yards on 25-30 catches.

Non Benson owners will say the guy always gets hurt (which is so untrue). The Bears didn't trade Thomas jones sbecause they expect benson to be a bust. He's more than capable of handling the job.

This question is real simple:

Benson owners expect to see about 1400 yards rushing with 12Td's and another 200 yards on 25-30 catches.

Non Benson owners will say the guy always gets hurt (which is so untrue). The Bears didn't trade Thomas jones sbecause they expect benson to be a bust. He's more than capable of handling the job.

so i take it your an owner then?

"he's more than capable" based on what so far? :thumbsup: in two full years he didn't come close to winning the starting job and only has it now by default.

yeah, he's proven he's more than capable of handling the job.

"he's more than capable" based on what so far? :thumbsup: in two full years he didn't come close to winning the starting job and only has it now by default.

In the league I care about, if he gets the stats he got last year and only half of what TJ got, it would put him just inside the top 15 fantasy RBs in the league. Seeing as I want to keep him for 6 bucks out of a 120 cap as a #3 RB or a flex player, that seems like decent value for me. I expect him to actually do a little bit better than that, but he does have to prove it over a year. Still, for me, it is a low risk keeper.

Also, it's not really by default when it is a move made by management, IMO.

The Bears let TJ go because they feel benson is ready now. If you actually watched football and the Bears late in the year, you saw a back that was ready for bigger and better things. I'll trust their judgement over yours anyday. You can however continue to hope for their demise - knock yourself out.

In the league I care about, if he gets the stats he got last year and only half of what TJ got, it would put him just inside the top 15 fantasy RBs in the league. Seeing as I want to keep him for 6 bucks out of a 120 cap as a #3 RB or a flex player, that seems like decent value for me. I expect him to actually do a little bit better than that, but he does have to prove it over a year. Still, for me, it is a low risk keeper.

Also, it's not really by default when it is a move made by management, IMO.

in that scenario--you already have him and he's cheap to keep and he's your #3--of course keep him and see what happens. but in a redraft to have him you're going to have to spend (i'm guessing) an early round 2 pick--and probably higher if you play with a bear fan--to get him. not worth the risk.

in that scenario--you already have him and he's cheap to keep and he's your #3--of course keep him and see what happens. but in a redraft to have him you're going to have to spend (i'm guessing) an early round 2 pick--and probably higher if you play with a bear fan--to get him. not worth the risk.

Name all of the backs you would draft ahead of him.

Id say he will just crack the top 20, I wouldn't take him as my 2nd back considering he was a top 5 pick and still hasnt seen a great share of the field. So id be sort of worried or at least not confident.

Plus I don't count on him catching too many balls, maybe 30 at most?...ppr league.

The Bears let TJ go because they feel benson is ready now. If you actually watched football and the Bears late in the year, you saw a back that was ready for bigger and better things. I'll trust their judgement over yours anyday. You can however continue to hope for their demise - knock yourself out.

the bears have a gun to their head in this situation on multiple levels--don't try to pass it off as a natural evolutionary process: 1) the bears spent a #4 overall pick on him, signed him, and paid him a huge chunk of money (i believe, without checking, his salary this year is about $5.5 mill?) 2) jones forced their hand by forcing it to come to a head--he's a rosenthal boy.

it's more like "we're going to jump off this cliff and i sure hope we can fly."

and maybe it does work. but your homerism--you also believe rex has what it takes to be a "big time qb" is showing a bit here.

I can only keep up to 2 players and can't keep those I had last year (T. Jones and S. Jackson).

Peyton Manning 20

Reggie Wayne 20

Tatum Bell 11

Cedric Benson 6

Reggie Brown 6

Jerious Norwood 5

Braylon Edwards 3

Heath Miller 2

Bernard Berrian 1

New England 1

Right now, I'm thinking Benson for 6 bucks is killer value...but that could change.

Coming from a neutral (AKA non NFC NORTH hater :thumbsup: ) Bensen is ready to take the reins.... I agree he hasn't "proven" he can be what everyone expects of him at the Pro Level, but he's proven he can carry a pretty big load seeing he had a ton of carries in his college career.... Someone said he hasn't won out the starting job yet, but T.J. was running well, and the team rallied behind him... not really all Bensen's fault, T.J. just wanted it more maybe.... who knows...

I think he'll be a very solid RB next year.... 1,200 and 10 Td's sounds about right

the bears have a gun to their head in this situation on multiple levels--don't try to pass it off as a natural evolutionary process: 1) the bears spent a #4 overall pick on him, signed him, and paid him a huge chunk of money (i believe, without checking, his salary this year is about $5.5 mill?) 2) jones forced their hand by forcing it to come to a head--he's a rosenthal boy.

it's more like "we're going to jump off this cliff and i sure hope we can fly."

and maybe it does work. but your homerism--you also believe rex has what it takes to be a "big time qb" is showing a bit here.

heck, i didnt realize that his teammates were big fans of cedric..i guess that has to change now...

I think he'll be a very solid RB next year.... 1,200 and 10 Td's sounds about right

I'll take it. :banana: :banana: :banana:

no particular order:

lt, jackson, l johnson, alexander, gore, parker, kj (if healthy), bush, drew-jones, addai, maroney, rudi, ahman green, edge, travis henry (if in denver), thomas jones (of course), dunn, norwood, foster, mcgahee (depending on where he goes), adrian peterson, lynch, tatum bell (if kj is out), deangelo williams, portis...want me to keep going? plus the top half-dozen wrs that would be available in rounds 2 and 3.

in ff, i'll own any player from any team. packers. vikings. no restrictions. so if i don't target a player i simply don't think that player will perform and/or he's too big a risk for his draft position. i feel that way about benson--and it has nothing to do with benson being a bear.

I know you asked Swamp but...

off the top of my head...in a ppr league

LT

LJ

SA

Jackson

Bush

Westbrook

Rudi

Gore

Parker

Henry

Chester

Addai

Moroney

Adrian Peterson

Marshawn Lynch(if he goes to the Bills or Packers, both where he will see almost all the carries)

Thomas Jones

Ronnie Brown

Turner(if goes to a place where he will be featured)

Portis

E James

MBIII (if Jones leaves which i have heard several times that he will)

Willis (maybe)

I guess id draft Benson around the 20th back spot....non ppr league he may be about 16th or 17th for me...

I can only keep up to 2 players and can't keep those I had last year (T. Jones and S. Jackson).

Peyton Manning 20

Reggie Wayne 20

Tatum Bell 11

Cedric Benson 6

Reggie Brown 6

Jerious Norwood 5

Braylon Edwards 3

Heath Miller 2

Bernard Berrian 1

New England 1

Right now, I'm thinking Benson for 6 bucks is killer value...but that could change.

again, i like the value here and agree with you: i'd strongly consider taking a flyer on benson at that price. i'd also keep an eye on norwood. hopefully you don't have to commit until as late as possible.

again, i like the value here and agree with you. i'd also keep an eye on norwood. hopefully you don't have to commit until as late as possible.

Yeah, Norwood is on the short list, but the most recent things I have seen they are saying Dunn is still the #1. :banana:

Seems crazy, but new coach, all bets are off for now. Yeah, I can wait quite some time before declaring keeps.

no particular order:

lt, jackson, l johnson, alexander, gore, parker, kj (if healthy), bush, drew-jones, addai, maroney, rudi, ahman green, edge, travis henry (if in denver), thomas jones (of course), dunn, norwood, foster, mcgahee (depending on where he goes), adrian peterson, lynch, tatum bell (if kj is out), deangelo williams, portis...want me to keep going? plus the top half-dozen wrs that would be available in rounds 2 and 3.

in ff, i'll own any player from any team. packers. vikings. no restrictions. so if i don't target a player i simply don't think that player will perform and/or he's too big a risk for his draft position. i feel that way about benson--and it has nothing to do with benson being a bear.

The inclusion of Det Rbs is especially humorous. Post is archived for future chuckles.

The inclusion of Det Rbs is especially humorous. Post is archived for future chuckles.

the detroit rbs would come later than benson; therefore they're better values; therefore i'd take them over benson.

i play in total yardage leagues where receiving yards mean something. benson hasn't shown the ability to catch a cold.

i made my list. you're entitled to your opinion.

to each his own.

but i notice you've done nothing but scoff and ridicule in this thread. throw your own benson projections out there, mr. homer glasses. let's hear the backs you'd draft after benson. we're waiting :dunno:

"he's more than capable" based on what so far? :cheers: in two full years he didn't come close to winning the starting job and only has it now by default.

So I take it you're not.

The point here is simple...The Bears had two very good RB's, so they traded one. Can't make everyone happy.

Doesn't matter if I think he is capable, the Bears think he is and that's what matters. You say they had a gun to their head with Jones, well they had choices, and they made the best one for the team. Yes, he proved to me last year that he can handle the load. He averages over 4 yards a carry, he has fumbled 1 time before his SuperBowl fumble. Sure he's had some injuries, but nothing major, he popped his shoulder during a freak play, he had an MCL strain. A lot of guys would have had a lot worse with that hit in the superbowl, he bent that thing all sorts of ways.

Let's revisit this in 1 year and see what it looks like.

the detroit rbs would come later than benson; therefore they're better values; therefore i'd take them over benson.

I didnt ask for "value" picks, I asked for who you would draft before him. Answer the question asked please. :cheers:

As the season wore on it was apparent to me watching the Bears play who the better RB was. Benson was probably one of the best RB's to gain yards after contact. He was very hard to bring down.

The people that are claiming that he has durability issues if that were the case he wouldnt have been able to handle that massive workload that he got at UT. The guy will be very good and more importantly the Bears orgainization knows this.

The people that are claiming that he has durability issues if that were the case he wouldnt have been able to handle that massive workload that he got at UT. The guy will be very good and more importantly the Bears orgainization knows this.

Chris Perry handled a huge workload at Michigan. Just sayin.

Chris Perry handled a huge workload at Michigan. Just sayin.

Perry along with all his injuries has to an extent been a victim of bad luck. I dont think the Bengals knew how good Rudi could be when they drafted Perry.

With Benson Im going by what I saw from him last year and he ran very hard when he got his carries. I was very impressed with how he ran. just sayin.

Perry along with all his injuries has to an extent been a victim of bad luck. I dont think the Bengals knew how good Rudi could be when they drafted Perry.

With Benson Im going by what I saw from him last year and he ran very hard when he got his carries. I was very impressed with how he ran. just sayin.

Hey, its possible Benson never receives another injury for the rest of his life. I didn't have faith in Rhodes getting through last year in one piece but he did it.

Still, two knee injuries in limited carries has to pucker a Bears fan butt just a little.

I am not an owner of T Jones or C Benson.

What i can tell is this:

T Jones is a very good starting RB in the NFL.

Cedric Benson has been very dissapointing. Oft injured, slow, really does not stand out in any way.

I can see the Bears want to move on...while they can get something for an older RB, but i think they will be looking for a RB in the draft or FA, that will compete with Benson.

Having Benson and Grossman as your starting backfield would be the death of the Bears IMO. I thought Jones was their best offensive player.

Judging this move now is too early, lets see who the Bears get to replace Jones. If they bag Marshawn Lynch, then it will look real good.

What i can tell is this:

Cedric Benson has been very dissapointing. Oft injured, slow, really does not stand out in any way.

I can see the Bears want to move on...while they can get something for an older RB, but i think they will be looking for a RB in the draft or FA, that will compete with Benson.

Having Benson and Grossman as your starting backfield would be the death of the Bears IMO. I thought Jones was their best offensive player.

Judging this move now is too early, lets see who the Bears get to replace Jones. If they bag Marshawn Lynch, then it will look real good.

The Bears didnt have to trade TJones, that speaks volumes to me. If they were concerned with Bensons talent or injury issue they wouldnt have done this, they had no reason to. Apparently you didnt like the way Benson ran last year when he was in the game, I saw a very good RB who ran very angry.

What i can tell is this:

TJ is a good RB, but he can't seem to retain the starter's position for more than 2 years anywhere he's been, why is that?

As far as Benson goes, you couldn't be more wrong. Benson is a durable RB, but has had some bad luck with minor bumps in his first two years, as a lot of RBs get those, and that doesn't mean he isn't durable. He was very durable at Texas. Also, your explanation about his running is way off. He showed immense ability to break tackles and flat out run over people. He also showed the power/speed ability to bounce outside a bull over defenders.

I didnt ask for "value" picks, I asked for who you would draft before him. Answer the question asked please. :ninja:

how clear can i be: i would draft those guys BEFORE benson because i wouldn't be drafting benson where i would have to draft benson to draft benson.

if kj were healthy, you'd still draft benson ahead of him--which shows your raging homerism.

and you still haven't offered anything of valued or substance in this thread. you're sinking to sweetmeat's level here, walter. come on: show us your rb list and where benson is on it. or pipe down and move on.

Benson will be the main back, which by fact alone, means he is someone who should be valued in FFB. Unless Chicago brings in another back via FA or draft, you have to give Benson serious thought in FFB.

How many other backs (at this very moment) have no other backs behind them threatening to steal carries? That thought alone makes Benson more valuable in my eyes.

Course, you'll need a handcuff if you are worried about injuries. But unless Chicago signs Jamal Lewis, Chris Brown, Dominic Rhodes, or drafts Michael Bush or someone like that, you need to have him high on the list.

$.02

TJ is a good RB, but he can't seem to retain the starter's position for more than 2 years anywhere he's been, why is that?

As far as Benson goes, you couldn't be more wrong. Benson is a durable RB, but has had some bad luck with minor bumps in his first two years, as a lot of RBs get those, and that doesn't mean he isn't durable. He was very durable at Texas. Also, your explanation about his running is way off. He showed immense ability to break tackles and flat out run over people. He also showed the power/speed ability to bounce outside a bull over defenders.

You are clearly a blind homer.

Jones has been the starter in Chicago for three years averaging 325 touches per season.

Cedric Benson has produced 900 yards and 9 catches his ENTIRE career, has been so dissapointing that they had to trade T Jones to get him the chance at the starting Job, b/c he simply could not beat out TJ for the Job.

These are not my opinions...These are the Facts! if you cannot acknowledge them you are a homer, with ZERO credibilty. Thank goodness that team plays in a division that is stacked with pathetic teams, they might have a chance to make th e playoffs next season.

If Benson had such "immense" abilities as you proclaim (which simply escaped my perception), he would wrestled the job from a journeyman like Thomas Jones.

The fact is if you can't beat out Thomas Jones....nothing about you says "immense".

If they bag Marshawn Lynch, then it will look real good.

They will have to package those picks to get him, IMO. I have heard that this draft is something like 14-15 players deep at the top of the draft. With those picks, they have the value to move up to the area that Lynch is expected to go (if he doesn't go even earlier to Buff.) based on the draft value charts. The thing is, which team will want to move out of the area of these 14-15 top players to trade with the Bears?

The Bears didnt have to trade TJones, that speaks volumes to me. If they were concerned with Bensons talent or injury issue they wouldnt have done this, they had no reason to. Apparently you didnt like the way Benson ran last year when he was in the game, I saw a very good RB who ran very angry.

they didn't have to trade him? really, now? it's rather simplistic to say jones was under contract and that was that--but that simplisitic thinking doesn't take into account benson's draft status, his contract status, jones' biatching, his agent being rosen-gouger, or any of the other complications.

the bears had a gun to their head here. on many levels.

tell you what: if they didn't have to trade him and only got that much for him? double shame on the bears. i'm at least willing to cut them some slack in this situation because i do think they had a gun to their head.

it's not about benson "proving" anything--he hasn't. you can point to this run or that series and say he's shown "flashes" but he has not proven he can carry the load. the bears are *hoping* he can and he's being thrown in the fire and given the chance because of his draft status and contract.

if benson had been a 4th-round pick still playing on his 4th-round rookie contract, i doubt highly the bears dump jones to the jets for a few slots in the draft.

They will have to package those picks to get him, IMO. I have heard that this draft is something like 14-15 players deep at the top of the draft. With those picks, they have the value to move up to the area that Lynch is expected to go (if he doesn't go even earlier to Buff.) based on the draft value charts. The thing is, which team will want to move out of the area of these 14-15 top players to trade with the Bears?

worst-case scenario: lynch makes it as far as #16 to the packers. and that's the worst-case free fall for him. besides, lynch is a better fit elsewhere--like, again, green bay. anything's possible on draft day, but if the bears take an rb high (either trading up or with their first pick in round 2)...it's the same rb controversy all over again :huh: they just dumped jones and gotten rid of an rb controversy.

it's finally time for benson to put up or shut up. and really it's about time, isn't it? a top-4 pick that hasn't been able to fight his way off the bench going on three years? and he's now getting off the bench not because he earned it but because the guy he could never supplant has been shipped out of town. :dunno:

Benson will be the main back, which by fact alone, means he is someone who should be valued in FFB. Unless Chicago brings in another back via FA or draft, you have to give Benson serious thought in FFB.

How many other backs (at this very moment) have no other backs behind them threatening to steal carries? That thought alone makes Benson more valuable in my eyes.

Course, you'll need a handcuff if you are worried about injuries. But unless Chicago signs Jamal Lewis, Chris Brown, Dominic Rhodes, or drafts Michael Bush or someone like that, you need to have him high on the list.

$.02

it's not that i wouldn't have him on my roster--but rather i won't have him because to get him i'm going to have to spend a high, premium draft pick to get him. no way. i think if you're like kutula and can stash him cheap, fine. but i'll let some other irrational bear lover shoot a load prematurely on benson.

I hope my league mates feel the same as you guys and I can snag benson at 3.2 in my initial dynasty draft in a couple of months.

no particular order:

foster. norwood. hahahhahhahhaha

thats rich.

and how is he a big risk? most people rate benson 15-20. you're acting like you are the only guy questioning benson. get in the ###### line. duh. and no he won't be taken at the end of the 1st rnd/early 2nd.

Benson will be a late 2nd, early 3rd type guy. (pick 18-25). In the middle of the 3rd rnd, you need a RB2, you really taking Foster? Norwood? Dunn? If so, can I play in your league. I could use the $$$.