Sign in to follow this  
triple_f

Chester Taylor

2006 - 303 carries for 1216 yards...42 rec. for 288....6 total TD's.

Not bad numbers for a RB#3 in TD heavy leagues.

Has a great O Line...but not much of a nose for the endzone.

Do you think his TD numbers, with more time in the offensive system, will increase next year?

well,

i'll start w/ this...

he played in 15 games, and had the most rushing TDs on the team (6 out of 12). Two of the other 6 TDs came from QBs, 3 from Artose Pinner...

The team as a whole scored what, 25 TDs? For a team that picked up the #1 OG in FA last year, and a pro-bowl FB, that is pathetic...

So i look for the team to increase its TD numbers overall, and by default, that would mean CTaylor should pick some up as well... Heck, their offense as a whole should hopefully improve this year. Remember, it was Childress' first year as the HC there, and it was a completely new system for the whole team to learn. Granted, their QB situation is still a little in flux, but Tavaris got some game time last season so he should be a little better this year if he gets the nod...

back to Chester though, he seemed to be good when they gave him over 15 rushes last year, 15 or under and he wasn't breaking 50 yds... from week 15 on he was abysmal, but that's also when Tavaris took over and the season was already pretty much gone to shiat, plus he had missed week 14 due to injury, so they probably weren't pushing him too much.

overall, i don't think it would be venturing into the realm of absurdity to think that he should see around 1400 yds rushing, 300 rec'ing, and 8-10 total tds IF (and this is a big if) he stays healthy all year and the MIN offense clicks better this year - which we should see in the preseason how its coming along...

i'd also go out on a limb and say his rec'ing numbers could go alot higher (maybe 500) since they are using the same basic offense as PHI, but w/ less pass emphasis... however, that would probably also bring his rushing numbers back down a little, but PPR is effected...

PPR is where I think his value increases among backs. I think his injury effected him from week 14 on, they didn't want to push him. But I still have trouble thinking him as my RB#2 in 07.

PPR is where I think his value increases among backs. I think his injury effected him from week 14 on, they didn't want to push him. But I still have trouble thinking him as my RB#2 in 07.

having him as your #2 depends on who your #1 RB and #1 WR are... in seasonal snake drafts, if you have a top3 pick, and get LT, LJ, or SJax, taking CTaylor at the end of rd2 for your #2 and taking a wr in rd3 doesn't seem too bad. or going WR in the 2nd and CTaylor in the 3rd is pretty much the same...

i wouldn't want to take an overhyped Addai in the first and then have CTaylor as my #2 cause i would worry about them both all year, unless CTaylor somehow managed to fall to me in the 4th and i had WR/WR in 2nd and 3rd...

so it all is situational... but look at it like this... in one of my non-PPR leagues w/ standard scoring, CTaylor finished around 20th. if he would have scored 3-4 more tds, he jumps up like 5 spots - and that's w/o an increase in yardage... having the #15 RB as your #2 isn't that bad...

if he would have scored 3-4 more tds, he jumps up like 5 spots - and that's w/o an increase in yardage... having the #15 RB as your #2 isn't that bad...

I guess that's my whole purpose in starting this post. Will CT get those 3-5 extra TD's in '07? Will he figure out how to get into the endzone, or will that not be one of his career strong points...kinda like Warrick Dunn. In 10 years, Dunn had 8 seasons with 7 or less TD's, and 5 seasons of those were for 5 or less (having 2 TD's twice)

However, I totally agree with the situation draft...all depends what falls into your lap.

I guess that's my whole purpose in starting this post. Will CT get those 3-5 extra TD's in '07? Will he figure out how to get into the endzone, or will that not be one of his career strong points...kinda like Warrick Dunn. In 10 years, Dunn had 8 seasons with 7 or less TD's, and 5 seasons of those were for 5 or less (having 2 TD's twice)

However, I totally agree with the situation draft...all depends what falls into your lap.

i guess what i was trying to say about his 6 tds this year was that i don't believe it was so much a reflection on his inability to get across the stripe, as it was all of MIN's offense's inability to get across the stripe... if the offense looks to have improved during preseason, then i would tend to believe his TD total will go up some... maybe a rec'ing td here or there could help too...

I think Chester's actually a pretty good RB and makes a decent RB2, considering that he really has no competition. Great O-line, and their D is pretty good so games should stay close. Plus they play Detroit twice. :dunno:

The most limiting factor will be the QB play and lack of WR's. Teams will just continue to stack the box with no passing threat from the Vikes. If Jackson or whoever is starting at QB can find a WR to throw to, things will open up and Chester will prosper. Unfortunately, they need allot of help on offence to make that happen.

Problem with CHester is that they take him out on 3rd down and since he is such a good reciever i dont understand it. He still is a pretty good #2 back .

he is gonna get hurt probably lol

the team has no qb, no passing game.......everyone will key on the run

he will get the ball, alot.....hope he can take the beating

2006 - 303 carries for 1216 yards...42 rec. for 288....6 total TD's.

Not bad numbers for a RB#3 in TD heavy leagues.

Has a great O Line...but not much of a nose for the endzone.

Do you think his TD numbers, with more time in the offensive system, will increase next year?

That sounds about right to me.

I am not fond of Chester at all. Overall, the Viking offence will likely be worse this coming year than it was last year. No QB, no passing game to take pressure off of the running game. Best case scenario he matches 2006 numbers. However, I would think he, and the entire Vikings O for that matter, will do worse than last year. JMHO.

he is gonna get hurt probably lol

the team has no qb, no passing game.......everyone will key on the run

he will get the ball, alot.....hope he can take the beating

3 TDs :blink: :dunno: :mad: and an ACL

i guess what i was trying to say about his 6 tds this year was that i don't believe it was so much a reflection on his inability to get across the stripe, as it was all of MIN's offense's inability to get across the stripe... if the offense looks to have improved during preseason, then i would tend to believe his TD total will go up some... maybe a rec'ing td here or there could help too...

I'll settle for him not fumbling on the one yard line... :banana:

I hate to say that I will never draft a particular player, because depending on the situation, I'll draft anyone if there's value. Having said that, I would be extremely reluctant to draft Taylor next year. I'd slot him as a #3 and wouldn't think of drafting him until rounds 4/5/6. The Vikings offense will be pathetic. Despite Childress' claims that his is a 'kick ass offense', they don't have any viable receiving threats and an inexperienced QB who may or may not have the tools to make a good NFL passer. Maybe chilly knows what he's talking about and maybe the offense will gel next year. I seriously doubt it. Taylor ran tough this year, and seemed to grow stronger as the game wore on. There were times though, when he'd have like 18-20 carries for like 50 yards. If they plan on pounding him into stacked fronts, then I doubt he'll hold up for the entire year. In my opinion, he struggles to reproduce last year's numbers.

I hate to say that I will never draft a particular player, because depending on the situation, I'll draft anyone if there's value. Having said that, I would be extremely reluctant to draft Taylor next year. I'd slot him as a #3 and wouldn't think of drafting him until rounds 4/5/6. The Vikings offense will be pathetic. Despite Childress' claims that his is a 'kick ass offense', they don't have any viable receiving threats and an inexperienced QB who may or may not have the tools to make a good NFL passer. Maybe chilly knows what he's talking about and maybe the offense will gel next year. I seriously doubt it. Taylor ran tough this year, and seemed to grow stronger as the game wore on. There were times though, when he'd have like 18-20 carries for like 50 yards. If they plan on pounding him into stacked fronts, then I doubt he'll hold up for the entire year. In my opinion, he struggles to reproduce last year's numbers.

The Viking O-line was pretty terrible last year. It was being touted as the best in the league once Hutch was signed (or at the very least the best left side), and the truth is the left side was no better than the right, which was no better than half the teams in the league. Overall the offense sucked, but I would be willing to bet that even if the team doesn't address their QB and/or WR position (which they will probably do anyway), the O-line will be improved after a year of meshing under their belts. Couple that to a solid D that will keep them in the game, and I think Taylor will improve. At the very least, he should maintain his stats from last year. With a sophmore QB, you might expect his recepts to go up from all the dump offs. I'm not a Taylor backer by any means, but I think the odds are in his favour to improve.

i'm tentative about the MIN offense improving myself - mostly because of the QB/WR issues.... but one thing i can say positive about Childress' offense in regards to the MIN situation... name one year (other than TO) where Childress had significantly better WRs to work with in PHI...

granted, PHI always spent high draft picks on OL. So MIN is still a little behind there, and PHI's run game was nothing to write home about until recently - but that was more of a factor of Reid's love of the pass...

so you never know... if things do gel, maybe MIN could perform w/ the WRs they have if you compare them to what PHI had all those years... :headbanger:

I agree with all the questions on Taylor next year...I think he will be lucky to reproduce last years numbers. If he could rush for the same yards but get into the endzone 3-4 more times, and increase his rec #'s a bit...42 rec last year...he could easily be a RB2. But I don't see it happen.

I see in the NFL.com early rankings, they have him ranked 13th among RB's and drafted high second round in the early draft...I just don't get it.

http://30608230513.football.nfl.com/news/9905658 - rankings

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/fantasy/story/9976383 - draft

I traded for chestor last year with a guy who drafted him a year before that in the last round when he was a back up for jamal lewis. Long story dhort, I only lose a 14th or 13th round keeping chestor next year and Im not really htat happy about it. This team sucks donky wood. I dont know whats worse, dumping brad or picking up henson i think his name is. Minn needs a qb for chestor to do anything decent!!!!

I wouldn't expect much of a change. Tavaris Jackson and Troy Williamson will have to step up their games big-time for Chester to get those 4th QTR carries that will net him the over the top numbers fantasy owners love. I don't see it happening. Great line, but skill positions are inexperienced or just lacking in overall talent. Teams will force Minny to throw...