Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Nice job, Ed!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17702021/

Perhaps you know that sinking feeling when a single keystroke accidentally destroys hours of work. Now imagine wiping out a disk drive containing an account worth $38 billion.

That’s what happened to a computer technician reformatting a disk drive at the Alaska Department of Revenue. While doing routine maintenance work, the technician accidentally deleted applicant information for an oil-funded account — one of Alaska residents’ biggest perks — and mistakenly reformatted the backup drive, as well.

they have computers in alaska? :(

what do they do, plug them into a moose's ass?

they have computers in alaska? :(

what do they do, plug them into a moose's ass?

You must be still unemployed. They use polar bears these days.

And you want to be my latex salesman?

Read this story this morning, why do they only have 1 backup tape. Our business doesn't have 38B worth of other's peoples money, we keep 6 days of tapes. Monday-Saturday backing up all our servers. Nice tech company they got there.... :(

Read this story this morning, why do they only have 1 backup tape. Our business doesn't have 38B worth of other's peoples money, we keep 6 days of tapes. Monday-Saturday backing up all our servers. Nice tech company they got there.... :doublethumbsup:

did you miss the part that it was taking place in Alaska?

he "accidentally" formatted the HD, then also "accidentally" wiped the backup too?

:unsure:

I was a sysadmin for the better part of 10 years, and never once "accidentally" formatted anything. It's not like you have a great big "format" key on your keyboard. :doublethumbsup:

I'm not buying this "accident" at all. :tinfoilhat:

I'm sure ###### Cheney had something to do with this.

If not, then it MUST be those damned Clintons again. :doublethumbsup:

Guest Black Label Society

he "accidentally" formatted the HD, then also "accidentally" wiped the backup too?

:banana:

I was a sysadmin for the better part of 10 years, and never once "accidentally" formatted anything. It's not like you have a great big "format" key on your keyboard. :unsure:

I'm not buying this "accident" at all. :tinfoilhat:

Oh, I have formatted a drive or two in my time...not on accident...but I may have forgotten to backup my data before doing so.

That being said...there's no way they don't have tape backups of this.

It's the media spinning this out of control.

It's like saying "A IT guy deleted all of our Exchange Mailboxes...everything was GONE."

When in reality, I migrated it to another server, and you just haven't been reconfigured to point to the new server yet.

That being said....this guy will probably never work in IT again. :doublethumbsup:

That being said...there's no way they don't have tape backups of this.

It's the media spinning this out of control.

What you no speaky de inglash?

There was still hope, until the department discovered its third line of defense, backup tapes, were unreadable.

And you want to be my latex salesman?

You work for Vandelay Industries? :P