Sign in to follow this  
redtodd

Baby Vaccinations

We met with a guy (chiropracter) who is against baby vaccinations. He gave the presentation and I had to bite my tongue quite a bit. I have seen better presentations on 9/11 conspiracy theories than his. He had quotes from doctors in 1982 and in one slide he would talk about how the Center of Disease Control can't be trusted......then he would use a source in the CDC who is not a fan of vaccinations. The whole thing was truely laughable.

Anyways, it looks like we will delay the vaccinations a little and skip a few (chickenpox, influenza). We are still trying to figure out exactly when he will get which ones. If we do the MMR, it will all be seperate (not all three at the same time). Same with the DTaP. I think we will do the Polio and HIB early on. We will try to make it so he gets one shot per visit. I don't want him getting 5 at a time.

Am I crazy? :doublethumbsup:

Am I crazy? :doublethumbsup:

Not necessarily.

Your baby is also a preemie, right? How old is he now?

Not necessarily.

Your baby is also a preemie, right? How old is he now?

8 weeks today, so he is 4 weeks past his due date.

We met with a guy (chiropracter) who is against baby vaccinations. He gave the presentation and I had to bite my tongue quite a bit. I have seen better presentations on 9/11 conspiracy theories than his. He had quotes from doctors in 1982 and in one slide he would talk about how the Center of Disease Control can't be trusted......then he would use a source in the CDC who is not a fan of vaccinations. The whole thing was truely laughable.

Anyways, it looks like we will delay the vaccinations a little and skip a few (chickenpox, influenza). We are still trying to figure out exactly when he will get which ones. If we do the MMR, it will all be seperate (not all three at the same time). Same with the DTaP. I think we will do the Polio and HIB early on. We will try to make it so he gets one shot per visit. I don't want him getting 5 at a time.

Am I crazy? :wub:

Yes you are crazy.

It is actually easier on the baby (and the parents) to get multiple shots so you don't have to put them through the experience multiple times.

8 weeks today, so he is 4 weeks past his due date.

So he will be one in May, he will be an infant still around cold/flu season. Since he's a preemie, he might be more susceptible to RSV. My only thought is that you get him the thimerosol free flu shot during flu season. Babies with the flu/influenza aren't good, and they can get much worse than adults.

I can totally understand delaying some vax'es, and also trying to space them out. I don't think I would neccessarily believe what the chiro said, as you can find different people/articles out there that will put a spin on pretty much anything.

Kinda harsh, but are you willing to deal with a reaction to a vax, or are you willing to deal with your baby getting measles, getting a super high temp and having seizures? Like I said in my previous post, A LOT of parents are delaying and eliminating vaccinations. These are viral, so it's not like they can give kids antibiotics if they happen to come down with measles or whatever. Not only that, but I think one of the vaccines is a pnuemococcal (sp) which includes a vaccination for an organism known to cause meningitis.

Again, not to freak you out, but I think that you need to weigh both sides of the coin.

We spaced them out. Yes it can be traumatizing to you and the baby while trying to give the vaccines. But nobody has proven either way on any vaccine leading to autism or other.

We have some relatives in the autism field and they do have some accendotal evidence of the shots causing extreme personality changes in children.

We just could not believe that pumping a small child up with multiple vaccines at the same time had no side effects. And if there was a side effect and the child was given 5 vaccines, which one caused the problem?

We had a problem with a 90# dog with multiple vaccines and the vet could not tell us which one caused it. The second time it happened we were able to determine the cause and now it is noted to avoid that vaccine in the future.

No you are not crazy.

we spaced em out. my wife is retty paranoid and did a lot of research, but there just isnt much actual data out there. Also, this whole holistic chiropracter movement is :ninja: . Its jsut a group of assclowns with MD envy trying to get a leg up

My aunt is a nutcase and gave us all this literature on this issue. She honestly thinks the governemtn is imbedding tracking devices through these shots... and that they cause cancer. My wife is a nurse and pretty much laughed at it all. We did what our pediatrician suggested.... and it ended up being 1 or 2 shots every visit. Never more than 2 shots, Ive never heard of any of my friends children getting more than that at a time either.

Traumatizing?!?! Give me a break. I think my son cried for maybe one of the shots, and he was over it in about 5 seconds.

we spaced em out. my wife is retty paranoid and did a lot of research, but there just isnt much actual data out there. Also, this whole holistic chiropracter movement is :ninja: . Its jsut a group of assclowns with MD envy trying to get a leg up

Agreed on the Chiropractor. This guy's presentation was hilarious. It was so piss poor, yet the other couple there was totally eating it up. He would tell you how crooked the CDC was, then he would use them as a source because one doctor from there said something bad about vaccines and he say, "See? Even the CDC thinks they are bad and they are a reputable organization."

He would also use random quotes from random doctors from 1982 and 1987. In totday's day and age, you can't even look at crap from the 80's. Things have changed so much.

He also used big quotes about autism and the MMR, but it was stuff from 1997. It was all conveniently before they proved that there is no link to autism.

He even had a quote from a doctor from 1975 that said vaccines cause habitual crime. So all the crime in the country has nothing to do with the environment they grow up in, it is the shots they got as kids.

As of right now, we are probably skipping the Chickenpox (I don't understand why they give that one) and prevnar (too new and least proven). MMR will be split up as opposed to all three at once. We will do no mercury. We will wait on the Hep B till closer to school age. We will probably be doing the HIB soon and one of the other ones. She wants to wait till he is 2 to start giving shots, I want a couple sooner than that.

Hmmm... I hadn't even thought about vaccinations, didn't know I should. We're going for a checkup on Sunday... wonder what it will entail...

Hey todd, I was thinking...the last time you posted about this, you seemed kinda unsure, and the same thing this time.

Are you feeling that you shouldn't wait and that you're not comfy waiting to vax? Is your wife very gung-ho about waiting?

I am just sensing that for some reason, you don't think that waiting is really the best thing. :ninja:

I really worry about someone who would even consider a chiropractor's advice as being substantive to the health of their baby. It sounds like you laughed him off, but what if he had made a good presentation? Would you listen to a chiropractor over a pediatrician just because he presented well?

Also, what are you really worried about? Is it autism? Is it something else? I'm not understanding the issue here.

Also, this whole holistic chiropracter movement is :banana: .

Took away my babies acid reflux. Also, a friend of mine had a kid with ear issues, had to have tubes put in, etc., he went to a chiropractor, and has no ear problems anymore. You tell me. :banana:

Took away my babies acid reflux. Also, a friend of mine had a kid with ear issues, had to have tubes put in, etc., he went to a chiropractor, and has no ear problems anymore. You tell me. :banana:

How old was baby when tubes were put in and when he went to go see chiro?

Took away my babies acid reflux. Also, a friend of mine had a kid with ear issues, had to have tubes put in, etc., he went to a chiropractor, and has no ear problems anymore. You tell me. :dunno:

Actually, this guy does do some good stuff with my boy. He has shown my wife some good stretches and bends to help him releve gas which he needs because he gets REAL gassy. So there is a benefit to a chiro for a baby.

Hey todd, I was thinking...the last time you posted about this, you seemed kinda unsure, and the same thing this time.

Are you feeling that you shouldn't wait and that you're not comfy waiting to vax? Is your wife very gung-ho about waiting?

I am just sensing that for some reason, you don't think that waiting is really the best thing. :dunno:

My wife is very gung ho of at least waiting. She is more on the "natural" side of things than me. She has good reason to be because she has some crappy auto-immune diseases and cyliac disease that convential doctor's could not help her out with (she went to a ton of them, too). She would have went un-diagnosed had she not gone the "alternate" route.

In fact, we would not have our little guy right now had we not figured out her diseases and treated her properly when she was pregrant this time.

I have been reading up more on vaccines. When I last posted, I had done no research and was only going by my wife saying, "Vacines scare me" and then scaring me by thinking she didn't want to do any. I do see some benefits of the "other way of thinking" but not entirely. We want to get the really important dangerous ones out of the way now and space out the rest. We don't want to give him a bunch at one time.

I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Hmmm... I hadn't even thought about vaccinations, didn't know I should. We're going for a checkup on Sunday... wonder what it will entail...

Please post what they recommend in China. I am real curious what another country recommends.

I really worry about someone who would even consider a chiropractor's advice as being substantive to the health of their baby. It sounds like you laughed him off, but what if he had made a good presentation? Would you listen to a chiropractor over a pediatrician just because he presented well?

Also, what are you really worried about? Is it autism? Is it something else? I'm not understanding the issue here.

The couple sitting next to me was scaring me because they were believing EVERYTHING this guy said. Even the crazy bullet points in the presentation that were date 1975. Yep 30+ year old data. I went into the presentation to humor my wife and I already had a preconceived notion that we was whacked. The Powerpoint presentation confirmed it.

By the way, according to one doctor, vaccines might contribute to habital violence. Yep, has nothing to do with growing up in crappy backgrounds. It has to do with shots you had as a kid. :(

Also, keep in mind that you need certain shots to be able to go to school. So unless you plan on homeschooling etc... you better make sure you get the kid all the standard shots. (Im pretty sure you are from what I recall reading)

Also, keep in mind that you need certain shots to be able to go to school. So unless you plan on homeschooling etc... you better make sure you get the kid all the standard shots. (Im pretty sure you are from what I recall reading)

I don't believe that is the case in WI. :wall:

I don't believe that is the case in WI. :wall:

"The Wisconsin Immunization Law is intended to protect all of our children from vaccine-preventable diseases. The state law requires children in licensed day care centers and students in kindergarten through grade 12 to be immunized according to their age/grade level by the beginning of the school year. Immunizations are required against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis/whooping cough (DTP), polio, Hepatitis B, and chickenpox (varicella). The same vaccines plus Haemophilus influenza b (Hib) are required for children in day care.'

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/934555000.html

You might find the entire article helpful actually.. you said your kid wasnt getting the chickenpox vaccine, you may want to rethink that... its required

"The Wisconsin Immunization Law is intended to protect all of our children from vaccine-preventable diseases. The state law requires children in licensed day care centers and students in kindergarten through grade 12 to be immunized according to their age/grade level by the beginning of the school year. Immunizations are required against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis/whooping cough (DTP), polio, Hepatitis B, and chickenpox (varicella). The same vaccines plus Haemophilus influenza b (Hib) are required for children in day care.'

You might find the entire article helpful actually.. you said your kid wasnt getting the chickenpox vaccine, you may want to rethink that... its required

So the choice becomes: Shots or spelling bee champ? :dunno:

Actually, this guy does do some good stuff with my boy. He has shown my wife some good stretches and bends to help him releve gas which he needs because he gets REAL gassy. So there is a benefit to a chiro for a baby.

My wife is very gung ho of at least waiting. She is more on the "natural" side of things than me. She has good reason to be because she has some crappy auto-immune diseases and cyliac disease that convential doctor's could not help her out with (she went to a ton of them, too). She would have went un-diagnosed had she not gone the "alternate" route.

In fact, we would not have our little guy right now had we not figured out her diseases and treated her properly when she was pregrant this time.

I have been reading up more on vaccines. When I last posted, I had done no research and was only going by my wife saying, "Vacines scare me" and then scaring me by thinking she didn't want to do any. I do see some benefits of the "other way of thinking" but not entirely. We want to get the really important dangerous ones out of the way now and space out the rest. We don't want to give him a bunch at one time.

I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Please post what they recommend in China. I am real curious what another country recommends.

The couple sitting next to me was scaring me because they were believing EVERYTHING this guy said. Even the crazy bullet points in the presentation that were date 1975. Yep 30+ year old data. I went into the presentation to humor my wife and I already had a preconceived notion that we was whacked. The Powerpoint presentation confirmed it.

By the way, according to one doctor, vaccines might contribute to habital violence. Yep, has nothing to do with growing up in crappy backgrounds. It has to do with shots you had as a kid. :thumbsdown:

Just as FYI, my husband has an auto-immune disease as well, as you well know, just because she has it, doesn't mean that your baby does as well. I can certainly see your concern.

Vaccines scare A LOT of people. However, I am more scared of my son/daughter getting brain damage because then contracted mumps from some random kid at school.

IMO, they are all pretty important and dangerous. I would think that varicella (chicken pox) would be at the top of the list, as it's been known to aggrivate auto-immune disorders (my husband found out about his problem when he had chicken pox as a child).

It is a lot to learn, and a lot to be concerned for. If your son does indeed have an auto-immune problem, I would think that they would recommend vax'ing and not waiting. I know with my hubby, every 5 years he has to get some kind of "cocktail" vaccine with stuff that "normal people" can usually fight off on their own.

redtodd - I think totally avoiding all of the vaccines is over the top, but more and more things like this are starting to pop up.

Also the % of autism in amish (avoid all vaccines) is WAY lower than the rest of the population (something to think about).

"Parents or guardians may receive a waiver to not vaccinate their children for medical, religious or personal conviction reasons. "

I am a Chiropractor... my three kids have been vaccinated and are completelty healthy.

I've seen the research regarding vaccinations and my wife works for our Pediatrician, so I simply asked him if he vaccinated his kids and if he believes there is a draw back. I took his advice and value his experience.

Also, as far as I know, the CDC is not part of a governmental conspiracy.