football_scooter

On the Clock!

On the Clock!  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Which one and WHY?

• Travis Henry is the no-brainer - I'll asplain below
    • Laurence Marnoey is the no-brainer - I'll asplain below

:nono:

I went with Henry. Just like the smilie above, Henry will be able to raise his hand over his head all season. Maroney could easily end up like Portis last year, with his wing hanging! I won't take the chance.

I went with Henry, the substance abuse scares me, but i dont think he would pull a quincy carter. Denver is going to run the ball more than the patriots this upcoming year. I know the patriots ran more last year, but this year the donkeys brought in a big money back, and shanahan knows how to run a workhorse back as well as any coach in the league. The offensive line changes should do nothing but improve the running game. The lineman they replaced were THE problem, its not like chiefs situation where they are having hall of fame lineman retire. Mike Bell i dont think will be a big of goal line vulture as most of the people here. He is the exact same weight as henry(215) and is not as proven as a runner. Plus he had major problems last year pass blocking, and that limits the goal line situations mike bell will be in this year, unless he improves, you dont want to get sacked in the red zone.

I am a NE Homer and I would take Henry over Maroney. Maroney has a shoulder problem and the Pats hope to have him back for the start of training camp. I was not impressed with what I saw from Maroney in the Indi playoff game last year. I will now address your notes from above.

1) Henry is playing behind a much better offensive line than he had in Tenn, He was able to run for 1200 yards after playing a limited roll in the first 4-5 games.

2) Yes he is in the substance abuse program for the first 4 games but has been clean for almost 2 years. He has a golden opportunity here and I find it hard to believe that he will do anything to mess that up.

3)Buffalo is not known for making good personel decisions. I will use the Flutie vs Rob Johnson controversy as an example. Rob Johnson got injured and is replaced by Doug Flutie for 9 games and Buffalo goes on a run and makes the playoffs behind Flutie. The playoffs come and Johnson is ready to go, so Flutie gets benched and Johnson comes in and looses. Buffalo drafted McGahee in the first round with the 21st pick I believe. They were going to use him and make themself look briliant for drafting him when everyone else was leary of the knee injury. They were going to showcase him regardless of what Henry did on the field. In Tenn he was brought in to battle Brown for the starting roll. They had a RBBC situation going there and added White to the mix. It took Henry some time to get familar with the offense and once he did you saw what he was able to do over the second half of the season last year.

The deciding factor is that Henry WILL play injured. His rookie year he played the final three games with a stress fracture in his leg. He plays through pain and seldom misses a game.

I do like Maroney and think he will be ok but the shoulder problem makes me leary of him. My thinking is that you do not want to draft someone in the first round that may start the season injured. I made that mistake with Terrel Davis a few years back and like to think that I learned from my mistakes.

Excellent response! :thumbsup: LOVE the Flutie reference. RE starting the season with an injury... I got burned with Portis last year, so that's a relevant point, aswell.

I think that one of my other concerns is that I'm in a 2ppr league, and Henry doesn't have much of a history catching passes. Do you think this is a result of the systems he's been in, and do you think that he'll catch anything in Denver's system? Young QBs always seem to like the TE and RB dump offs, so maybe there's an opportunity there.

BTW, does the Devilsden name have anything to do with the Devils Den Preserve in Connecticut?

Excellent response! :dunno: LOVE the Flutie reference. RE starting the season with an injury... I got burned with Portis last year, so that's a relevant point, aswell.

I think that one of my other concerns is that I'm in a 2ppr league, and Henry doesn't have much of a history catching passes. Do you think this is a result of the systems he's been in, and do you think that he'll catch anything in Denver's system? Young QBs always seem to like the TE and RB dump offs, so maybe there's an opportunity there.

BTW, does the Devilsden name have anything to do with the Devils Den Preserve in Connecticut?

I'd pencil Henry in for 30-35 catches this year.

Cutler will throw to the TE's, but he has stated already that he loves having Henry block for him, then roll out and catch the dumpoff pass. You can probably count on 2-3 of those a game minimum.

Broncos RB's the last few years have caught 40+ balls per year, and that number would be around 60 if Tatum Bell could have caught anything.

So having Henry catch 30-35 seems very attainable, and he might even catch more.

I'm in this same situation. I could go Parker, Henry or Maroney but I am leaning more towards Henry or Maroney. Henry is a great back and has the ability to put up the big numbers as he has earlier in his career. He's tough and can handle the workload. Maroney's shoulder injury scares me, but I can see him being similar to what Edge was in Indy wih the high performance offense. Now i'm not saying he's as good as Edge but he's in a similar situation. Similar to what Addai is in this season with Indy's offense. I'm leaning more towards Henry because of the OLine and run based offense. I'll cross my fingers he doesn't get the RBBC from the rat, get hurt or just plain old suck. Oh yeah Henry did look good in the first preseason game, and yes i know its only preseason but Shanny did like what he saw. But who the hell knows. I'll probably just flip a coin right before my pick like i did last year. It worked, won the championship!

I'd pencil Henry in for 30-35 catches this year.

Cutler will throw to the TE's, but he has stated already that he loves having Henry block for him, then roll out and catch the dumpoff pass. You can probably count on 2-3 of those a game minimum.

Broncos RB's the last few years have caught 40+ balls per year, and that number would be around 60 if Tatum Bell could have caught anything.

So having Henry catch 30-35 seems very attainable, and he might even catch more.

That definitely would change things for me, do you happen to have a linky, linky for the Cutler thing? :cheers:

don't trust the offensive system in NE, too much spreading of the football

seems like the broncos have found the TD type back they've been looking for since he retired

My only comment to those who discount Maroney due to a passing game: Steven Jackson.

Jackson is basically what Maroney could be if the pieces fell in place for him.

Henry/Maroney is a tough call. I like them both alot this year.

PPR Maroney

Non-PPR Henry I guess.