Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

Cadillac Williams, Lamont Jordan, Randy Moss

I like everyone else, had Caddy, LaMont Jordan and Randy Moss all ranked to high before the 2006 fantasy draft. Why did we miss so bad on these guys?

One reason I feel is that the offensive line for run blocking was terrible in Tampa Bay. And the offensive line for the Raiders couldn't run block or pass block. Do you agree that is what it was? Other reasons they performed so poorly. Moss' bad attitude. Bad coaching staff in Oakland. Even if these reasons are correct they aren't very technical in reasoning. What exactly, football Xs and Os went wrong for these guys? They all looked good in the previous year or previous years in Moss case. Are Randy Moss' best skills fading and not to be recovered? I still think Cadillac is a very talented player, but don't expect him to get goalline carries - is he just that bad at short yardage? Or is Alstott that good at short yardage. Has LaMont Jordan lost his ability or was it just injury and poor team play around him? Which of these players bounce back?

What players this year can we expect to miss on? I think pre-season will tell a lot and I'm going to pay very close attention to offensive line play.

I like everyone else, had Caddy, LaMont Jordan and Randy Moss all ranked to high before the 2006 fantasy draft. Why did we miss so bad on these guys?

One reason I feel is that the offensive line for run blocking was terrible in Tampa Bay. And the offensive line for the Raiders couldn't run block or pass block. Do you agree that is what it was? Other reasons they performed so poorly. Moss' bad attitude. Bad coaching staff in Oakland. Even if these reasons are correct they aren't very technical in reasoning. What exactly, football Xs and Os went wrong for these guys? They all looked good in the previous year or previous years in Moss case. Are Randy Moss' best skills fading and not to be recovered? I still think Cadillac is a very talented player, but don't expect him to get goalline carries - is he just that bad at short yardage? Or is Alstott that good at short yardage. Has LaMont Jordan lost his ability or was it just injury and poor team play around him? Which of these players bounce back?

What players this year can we expect to miss on? I think pre-season will tell a lot and I'm going to pay very close attention to offensive line play.

Both Raiders and Bucs last year had inconsistant QB play, and bad offensive line play. In addition the raiders had a new, terrible, already fired, offensive coaching staff last year.

As far as Caddy and Jordan...well, they just aren't supremely talented as it is. Good, without a doubt. But not an exceptional individual talent that can overcome a team's woes by themselves.

Add in the fact that their QB situations were both pathetic, as well as their O-line play, and you've got some wasted end of round 1/early round 2 picks to ruin your draft day fun.

As for Moss?

I dont think he's lost as much as most people seem to think. People saw what he did, when healthy, in the first few games of '05.

I know it was a few years ago, but his obvious lack of effort these past few years surely can't have taken much out of him.

Plus, the Raiders just sucked. Why bother working yourself to death to get open against double and triple coverage on every play when you know damn well the line won't hold long enough for you to do so, and the QB isn't capable of getting it to you once you're open. Then, even if you get open and get the ball, at best about 5-6 times a game, it's rarely enough for barely a handful of wins.

Not really condoning quitting on your teammates, but couldn't it be argued that Moss' teammates quit on him first?

all 3 players were hurt last year. Moss not so much, but he was dinged up a little. but the QB play as mentioned was awful, and the offensive lines of both teams are terrible. bad Olines usually result in guys either getting hammered and hurt or just plain bad #s. personally, Id take a flier on Moss this year now that he is with a real team, but I wouldnt touch Cadillac or Jordan. There's still just too much uncertainty with both of those situations.

i agree w/ most that Caddy & Lamont underperformed due to injuries (both to themselves and their lines), as well as just poor offenses that couldn't open up the passing game at all so other teams would put 8 in the box alot... RMoss just quit on his team because he's he whiner and malcontent...

LJordan i dot like too much this year just because that backfield is going to be really crowded...

however, I am pretty high on Caddy. I look for him to be this year's KJ (minus the lis franc)... 3rd year player who was overhyped the previous year, which was bound to lead to disappointment that had a horrible QB situation in year2 as well... now he's got a legit journeyman QB in Garcia (KJhad Kitna last year), that even though he may not be great, he knows how to win, and more importantly, knows how to read defenses and audible when needed - not panic like gunshy young QBs do...

i really think Gruden isn't kidding when he says he wants to get Caddy 300 carries and 60 recs... which should accout for around 1500 total yds, putting him in the top15 RB range as long as he can add a few TDs to go w/ it...

I think Jordan was the victim of poor line play, poor play calling, and just being on a really awful team. Didn't watch too much Raiders last year, but from what I did see he was at least passionate about the game. Makes me think he'll perform much better with a better surrounding cast. The same goes for Moss. I think he's maybe lost a step, and he'll have to figure out a way to get open, especially deep. But I think he too will bounce back. As long as the team wins, and he has his targets, he'll come through. I go back and forth on Caddy. I really didn't want him last year, but took him...along with Ronnie Brown....as my starting backfield. What a long year! There were several games last year he only carried the ball 12-17 times per game. Not having watched many Bucs games, it appeared they abandoned the ground game too soon. Plus, Alstot vultured a few TDs. Either something was wrong with Caddy...there were hints of back problems late in camp/early in the season, or the coaching staff doesn't have confidence in Caddy. If he was struggling with injury, why wouldn't they sit him while they were losing games? He was ROY two years ago, but did only perform like an average back after his first four games.....in which he set a record for carries for a rookie during that span. I was more impressed with Brown when I saw him run....showed good burst, didn't go down easily, wasn't pulled in short yardage situations. I saw none of this from Caddy. Nonetheless, if he's around late in the third, early fourth, I'd take a chance on him....he's a decent #2, to good #3. Hopefully an improved line will help, and Garcia is an upgrade over Simms/Gradkowski which might open things up for the running game.

Caddy could be a good 2nd or 3rd back had in the late 3rd this year... he could outperform his ADP if they can muster some threat of a passing game IMO.

Caddy could be a good 2nd or 3rd back had in the late 3rd this year... he could outperform his ADP if they can muster some threat of a passing game IMO.

Agreed. I think Caddy could shock people this year and finish with 50 rec. Garcia loves to throw to RBs and with Gruden on the hot seat I think he'll try to find every way he can to exploit Caddy.

I think Jordan was the victim of poor line play, poor play calling, and just being on a really awful team. Didn't watch too much Raiders last year, but from what I did see he was at least passionate about the game. Makes me think he'll perform much better with a better surrounding cast. The same goes for Moss. I think he's maybe lost a step, and he'll have to figure out a way to get open, especially deep. But I think he too will bounce back. As long as the team wins, and he has his targets, he'll come through. I go back and forth on Caddy. I really didn't want him last year, but took him...along with Ronnie Brown....as my starting backfield. What a long year! There were several games last year he only carried the ball 12-17 times per game. Not having watched many Bucs games, it appeared they abandoned the ground game too soon. Plus, Alstot vultured a few TDs. Either something was wrong with Caddy...there were hints of back problems late in camp/early in the season, or the coaching staff doesn't have confidence in Caddy. If he was struggling with injury, why wouldn't they sit him while they were losing games? He was ROY two years ago, but did only perform like an average back after his first four games.....in which he set a record for carries for a rookie during that span. I was more impressed with Brown when I saw him run....showed good burst, didn't go down easily, wasn't pulled in short yardage situations. I saw none of this from Caddy. Nonetheless, if he's around late in the third, early fourth, I'd take a chance on him....he's a decent #2, to good #3. Hopefully an improved line will help, and Garcia is an upgrade over Simms/Gradkowski which might open things up for the running game.

Caddy definitely was struggling with back problems last year - I remember him coming out in at least one game due to "back spasms" and it was a lingering concern to his starting ability in at least one more. I also agree that they tended to abandon the running game too quickly... however, with the awful production they were getting in the games where they did abandon it, I simply can't fault them for doing so. It's difficult to keep running the ball when it's obvious that it's making you turn the ball over quickly. Also, as several have mentioned, TB's line was riddled with injuries in 06, and I'd be surprised if all the starters were present in more than 1/4 of TB's games. IMO it wasn't poor line play as much as missed time by starters that caused Caddy to really flounder.

Average tallent playing on bad teams with poor o-lines, weak QB play, and minor injuries doesn't make a productive combination.

More importantly, who will be the Cadillac, Jordan and/or Moss of this year?

Who is valued too high given their bad QBs/OLs/coaching?

i can see some guys valued too high... but not necessarily for the above reasons:

1. MJD - what's the chance of him putting up 1,000 and double-digit TDs again this year?

2. Maroney - 1st round is just too high for someone that has NEVER carried the full load.

3. Brandon Jacobs - some people are way over-valuing him... but i actually see his ADP coming down a little.

More importantly, who will be the Cadillac, Jordan and/or Moss of this year?

Who is valued too high given their bad QBs/OLs/coaching?

Jamal Lewis - I think he'll be a complete waste of roster space except to fill bye weeks.