Sign in to follow this  
bgard72

When's the time to really consider Manning?

Guys,

Need your opinion...I am in a 10 team redraft league. No PPR, 6 pts for all TD's, 1 pt for 25 yards passing, 1 pt for 10 yards rushing\receiving, -2 for interceptions\fumbles.

In my mind, I've been pretty set on picking the best RB available at #8 and passing up on Manning if he were available. I am pretty positive the guys at #9 and #10 would be picking Manning with their 1st or 2nd pick...so I wouldn't have a chance to get him at my 2nd round pick (13).

I am reconsidering my approach here and wondering if I should be taking Manning if he's available at the 8th pick. My other options at RB will probably be the likes of Westy, Parker, Rudi.

Would it be the smart move to take Manning at #8 and get the top QB or take the best RB available??? If I pass on Manning, my thoughts are to get the best QB available in round #3.

Thoughts?

Guys,

Need your opinion...I am in a 10 team redraft league. No PPR, 6 pts for all TD's, 1 pt for 25 yards passing, 1 pt for 10 yards rushing\receiving, -2 for interceptions\fumbles.

In my mind, I've been pretty set on picking the best RB available at #8 and passing up on Manning if he were available. I am pretty positive the guys at #9 and #10 would be picking Manning with their 1st or 2nd pick...so I wouldn't have a chance to get him at my 2nd round pick (13).

I am reconsidering my approach here and wondering if I should be taking Manning if he's available at the 8th pick. My other options at RB will probably be the likes of Westy, Parker, Rudi.

Would it be the smart move to take Manning at #8 and get the top QB or take the best RB available??? If I pass on Manning, my thoughts are to get the best QB available in round #3.

Thoughts?

I've never condoned paying the manning tax, let someone else do it, that being said atleast wait until around the 5th to take a QB , I didnt grab one till the 8th and 10th and got Tony Romo and Big Ben. now how much better are the after peyton guys than these two? 5 rounds better? I dont think so.

It's somewhat of a connundrum in my opinion. And it ultimate leads me to suggest avoiding him and go back-to-back on the best two RBs still available.

Picks 3-7'ish are picks where I want a rock-solid commodity that I can count on since it's going to be a while before I pick again. And assuming that LT and SJax are gone, that only really leaves Manning. But, there's just no way I can justify taking him that high. (I really don't envy people having to draft in these slots this season..)

On the other hand, everything from 8'ish on, I can accept a certain amount of risk since I'm going to get an early 2nd rounder. Which brings you back to the half-dozen or so RBs that will be available but have at least a question mark or two in some form or fashion.

QBs are not deep this year, but I wouldn't pay the a 1st rounder for Manning. I would recommend going RB/RB and taking Palmer, Brady, or Bulger for your 3rd pick - one should still be there. You get much more value with those three for a 3 pick than Manning at 8 overall.

10 team leagues are weak, jump up to the 12 man leagues and out of the minor league. When do you consider Manning? Lets see.....

1st over pick......check-considered

2nd pick......check- considered

3rd pick.......check- considered

You get it?

I took Manning 6th in a 10-team league last year, but I probably wouldn't do the same again this year. I think the QB pool is better and deeper than last year. Last year it was Manning and then everyone else (b/c of Palmer's injury). You've got Carson Palmer, Jon Kitna, Tom Brady, and Tony Romo who I think all could put up similar numbers and could be had from the 2nd round onto the 6th... Others are high on McNabb and Bulger. At #8, I'd be more inclined to draft Westbrook, FWP or Bush and take Carson Palmer in the 2nd (or wait for Romo or Kitna).

I took Manning 6th in a 10-team league last year, but I probably wouldn't do the same again this year. I think the QB pool is better and deeper than last year. Last year it was Manning and then everyone else (b/c of Palmer's injury). You've got Carson Palmer, Jon Kitna, Tom Brady, and Tony Romo who I think all could put up similar numbers and could be had from the 2nd round onto the 6th... Others are high on McNabb and Bulger. At #8, I'd be more inclined to draft Westbrook, FWP or Bush and take Carson Palmer in the 2nd (or wait for Romo or Kitna).

what about his 2nd pick should he take manning then? I have #9 in PPR going RB ( there are 9 top one before a drop off excluding henry) then thinking of either mcgahee or manning.

keep in mind that at 3rd pick one of benson, edge, thomas jones should be there, jacobs as well but I think I am leaning towards manning in 2, then no worries will not draft a backup probably just plug a guy in off the wire, 40 tds this yr I think no "cant win the big game pressure" and I hate manning only reason I might not be able to pick him, great QB though

what about his 2nd pick should he take manning then? I have #9 in PPR going RB ( there are 9 top one before a drop off excluding henry) then thinking of either mcgahee or manning.

keep in mind that at 3rd pick one of benson, edge, thomas jones should be there, jacobs as well but I think I am leaning towards manning in 2, then no worries will not draft a backup probably just plug a guy in off the wire, 40 tds this yr I think no "cant win the big game pressure" and I hate manning only reason I might not be able to pick him, great QB though

Depends who's there but I imagine you can find a solid RB in that spot (I don't consider McGahee to be one). I hope one of Bush, FWP, Westbrook slip. I'd take Portis over McGahee for that matter. You're going to wait an awfully long time until your 3rd round pick. I have Carson Palmer on the same level as Manning this year, and I'm high on Romo, Kitna, Brees, even McNabb, Leinart is a nice sleeper.. so if you ask my opinion there's just too much value at QB and Manning isn't head and shoulders above the competition this year in my eyes. I'd have taken him in the 2nd last year without blinking, but not this year.

10 team leagues are weak, jump up to the 12 man leagues and out of the minor league. When do you consider Manning? Lets see.....

1st over pick......check-considered

2nd pick......check- considered

3rd pick.......check- considered

You get it?

LOL. I get so tired of the asshats ripping on 10 team leagues. I'm in a 10 team league full of sharks. Buy-in is $1,000 and each move from outside your roster is $25.00. This league has been running for 9 years and the buy-in has increased several times. Trust me, Mr. Free Yahoo League Member, you and your little 12 running mates would get eatin alive by my "minor leaguers".

NEXT!

10 team leagues give you the benefit of a bit more "depth" in the draft and later on the waiver wire (doesn't make the league better or worse than others, just different. The quality of owners is what makes a good or bad league.) You can look at how that works a couple of ways. More quality starting QBs will be available later but also more serviceable RBs will be available both in and after the draft. If you are picking at #8 then 4 fewer players coming off the board than in a 12 teamer before your next pick. If there are enough quality RBs left when you pick at 8 and you are comfortable one will make it back to you then you can certainly consider Manning with that #1 pick and grab said RB on the way back. I don't know that I would do it. I would be more inclined to grab the RB first and then see what happens on the way back. I just think you would get better value that way and the worst thing that happens is Manning is gone and you get the 2nd RB and grab a QB later. I have personally never had Manning on my team as I don't like using such a high pick on a QB. Also, I can honestly say that in 10 years of FF with about 3-4 leagues a year I don't personally remember but one season where the winning team in any of my leagues owned Peyton Manning and that league was a 15 team TD only (6 pts for any TD) small roster IDP league.

Anyway, best of luck whichever route you go. :thumbsdown:

In a 10 team league with the 8th pick and 6 points for passing TD's I would not hestitate to take him there for a seconds. Lots of depth in a 10 team league, you will get another good RB in the 3rd, you also dont even need to draft a backup QB, and can just pick someone up before Manning's bye week.

I grabbed him at 1.03 in my league last year and dominated the whole league, I think I came back and got Holt in the 2nd actually

Something like

Manning

Holt

Housahmachampionshiop

Westy

Gore

Gates

Just to let you know it is very possible to get s good team taking Manning in the 1st

In a 10 team league with the 8th pick and 6 points for passing TD's I would not hestitate to take him there for a seconds. Lots of depth in a 10 team league, you will get another good RB in the 3rd, you also dont even need to draft a backup QB, and can just pick someone up before Manning's bye week.

I grabbed him at 1.03 in my league last year and dominated the whole league, I think I came back and got Holt in the 2nd actually

Something like

Manning

Holt

Housahmachampionshiop

Westy

Gore

Gates

Just to let you know it is very possible to get s good team taking Manning in the 1st

Manning's not going to cost you a championship. I don't fundamentally disagree with taking a QB early. I took Manning 5th overall last year. But the quality of QBs near the top is so much greater than last year. Would you rather have Manning and TJones/Ronnie Brown, or Palmer/Brees/Brady and Westbrook/Bush. Those are your 1st and 3rd round picks if you push off your 1st round RB until the 3rd. I'll take Brees and B Westbrook 9 times out of 10 there. And with Romo and Kitna available in the 6th, how can you justify taking Manning in the 1st?

I'm not a strict RB/RB guy, but I am strict about taking a RB in the 1st no matter what. If Manning slips to the 2nd, take him, but otherwise I wouldn't.

QBs are not deep this year, but I wouldn't pay the a 1st rounder for Manning. I would recommend going RB/RB and taking Palmer, Brady, or Bulger for your 3rd pick - one should still be there. You get much more value with those three for a 3 pick than Manning at 8 overall.

I agree :dunno: I would rather have a Brees or Brady in the 3rd and 2 solid RB's...

8th is the cut-off for getting a quality rb in most drafts unless someone falls.

Go with Willie Parker or Westbrook.

would you take manning @13? because if you would (not saying whether this is warranted or not) you may want to consider him @8. assume lt, s-jax, gore, addai, lj, alexander are the first 6 gone in some order. now you've got westbrook, bush, rudi, fwp, henry, maroney as the next tier of backs (mcgahee also if you want). if you happen to rate all of these guys ~ equivalent AND would take manning @ 13 go ahead and pick manning @8 instead and take whatever rb falls to you @13.

I agree :dunno: I would rather have a Brees or Brady in the 3rd and 2 solid RB's...

Westy and Bush are solid RBs ?

More solid than Ronnie Brown/ T. Jones ?

Seems like the RBs are getting similar there.....

I was set on RB RB but his value looked way too good in the 2nd round to not pickup. (2.4 in a 12 man league)

But now i'm having trouble filling my WR core because it is a 3 WR league. :dunno:

You're talking about 1 or 2 points per game with more consistency. I think Westbrook and Bush are much safer bets. Ronnie Brown is going to have multiple (4 or 5 would be my guess) games with 0 TDs and under 60 total yards. If Westbrook stays healthy, he's good for 250 fantasy points (non-PPR). If he misses 2 or 3 games, he's still good for 200. If Brown and Jones play all their games, they're probably not getting 200.

I'd argue the QBs are probably just as similar. It really comes down to how you value certain RBs and how you value QBs. All else equal, I'd rather have my pick of RB in the 1st round rather than hope the 1 guy I want in the 3rd round is still there. It's all your preference, though.

Yes I would say that Westy and Bush are much more solid RB's than Ronnie and TJ... JMHO