Sign in to follow this  
davebg

UPDATORED w/draft results: Have you ever had to draft for someone

My friend's mom passed away, so I have to draft for her. She has the #6 pick in a 12 team redraft. I have the #2 pick.

Do you go with the cheatsheet, which likely means LJ? Or do you go with your gut and take Westbrook and let LJ fall to the 7th or beyond?

Do you follow script or draft as if it were your team?

if she did give you her cheatsheet then draft according to her list.

I did not have a pleasant experience drafting for someone in my league. It provide a MAJOR conflict of interest! :shocking:

Sorry to hear about your friends loss.

--

You have to draft based off rankings to avoid personal bias that may hinder/help your draft. Pre draft determine what positions you will draft in which rounds and stick to the predetermined ranking sheets you have for her team. Do the best you can, I'm sure she will be pleased with your draft.

i drafted for my dad a couple years ago, the year after kurt warner won the mvp, he insisted i take warner for his first pick, he drew the #1 pick, i got warner for him, he got hurt and my pops finished last...........he now shows up for the draft!

I've had to do it several times. It sucks. You won't get to enjoy the draft or have laughs with the rest of the league because you'll have no downtime crossing off 2 different lists.

I've always made absentee owners provide their own typed or written cheatsheet, not just hand me a prited list from a mag or website. I would object to any league allowing a generic list.

It was all quite sudden (she had to take off right away, her mom was dying of cancer and she had to get out of state ASAP), so no cheatsheet.

I was planning to just use mine. Mine is pretty much the tiered sheet on the FTToday homepage and then I go through and highlight the people I like.

What I'm asking is do I go straight off of the sheet or do I go with the people I like, as if I was drafting for myself?

It was all quite sudden (she had to take off right away, her mom was dying of cancer and she had to get out of state ASAP), so no cheatsheet.

I was planning to just use mine. Mine is pretty much the tiered sheet on the FTToday homepage and then I go through and highlight the people I like.

What I'm asking is do I go straight off of the sheet or do I go with the people I like, as if I was drafting for myself?

go off the cheatsheet and there is no debate

i drafted for my dad a couple years ago, the year after kurt warner won the mvp, he insisted i take warner for his first pick, he drew the #1 pick, i got warner for him, he got hurt and my pops finished last...........he now shows up for the draft!

I have nothing to add here, but that's a great story! :shocking:

I without fail give the person the best player available that I don't want.

Few years back a buddy of mine went bear hunting and could not attend so he asked me to draft for him. He gave me his top 24 players and then it was up to me to pick the rest of the team. I beat him in the championship that year.

It is tough espcailly if it is a snake draft and you are pciking close to each other.

I without fail give the person the best player available that I don't want.

THAT I DONT WANT lol

if this wasnt a real emergency I would suggest an early round penalty pick of Mr. Vick.

THAT I DONT WANT lol

if this wasnt a real emergency I would suggest an early round penalty pick of Mr. Vick.

Earlier today someone at the Geek Club suggested the Stud Kicker Theory...early and often. :mellow:

let LJ fall to the 7th or beyond?

That dog crap on your patio is starting to give you brain damage.

You check the box that says 'auto-select' or 'I'm away' - then console your friend in this time of need and not worry about your (nerdly) fantasy football team(s)...unless money in large amounts is concerned....

BTW - I will probably be drafting for my n00b friend because he chose to drink beer and surf in Costa Rica instead of construct the most ultimate of fantasy football teams. I'm jealous :overhead: of the waves he's catching (it's only a $50 buy-in).....

That dog crap on your patio is starting to give you brain damage.

Sorry...didn't mean "to the 7th", but "to 7th", as in, she has the #6 pick and if I have to choose between LJ and Westbrook, I'd rather Westbrook.

Sorry...didn't mean "to the 7th", but "to 7th", as in, she has the #6 pick and if I have to choose between LJ and Westbrook, I'd rather Westbrook.

That's good, I was really starting to worry about you.

Fantasy Football doesn't mean nothing when something like this happens.

I am very sorry for your friends loss and you really should draft the best team you possibly can for her. Personally I would draft as though I was drafting for myself. She entrusted you to do it for her so I'm assuming you are good friends and that combined with life will always come before ffb.

JMO Good luck!

I've been in this situation before as a commisioner. Unfortunately there is no perfect solution but here's one I found that works pretty well.

Get an updated (as close to as possible anyhow) ADP based upon your leagues scoring system the day of the draft. There are some really good sites for this.

----------------------

If you CAN get ahold of her, have her tell you what position she would project to draft in each round if she was there. RB in rounds 1,2, WR in round 3, etc.... whatever her thoughts are.

Then just take the ADP and draft her the best player (based upon the ADP) in the position she's chosen to draft in each round.

--------------------

IF you CAN'T get ahold of her, choose a fair round by round (positional) draft approach for her and let the other owners know before the draft what it is.

Then just take the ADP and draft her the best player (based upon the ADP) in the position you've chosen based upon the approach you came up with each round.

----------------------

Let the other owners know the strategy to be fair, just don't show them the ADP

This seems to work out pretty well and is generally agreeable if no other solution can be reached.

Well, the draft just finished and I think I did a pretty good job of drafting both of us solid teams. In fact, her's might not only be better than mine...it might be the best of them all.

12 teamer...1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D/ST...6pts for all TD and yardage bonuses.

Me @ #2

QB: Palmer, Roethlisberger

RB: SJax, Jacobs, JuJones, FTaylor, Rhodes

WR: Wayne, Branch, Welker, Crayton, Wilford

TE: Cooley, Daniels

K: Mare

D/ST: SD

Her @ #6

QB: Romo, Shaub

RB: SA, RoBrown, LJordan, Booker

WR: RoWilliams, Plax, VJackson, MaClayton, BrJones, BMarshall

TE: Heap, EJohnson

K: JBrown

D/ST: MIA

Guest _my_2_cents_
go off the cheatsheet and there is no debate

Actually, there is a debate. Unless you're suggesting that she go WR-QB-QB-WR-TE-D/ST-K because on her draft sheet that was what it landed on at her pick? :dunno:

We nearly had an absentee owner this year - on call, medical, can't say no kind of thing. Well it all worked out, but what he asked me to do for him was to use his list and go RB-RB-WR-WR/RB/QB-TE/RB/QB-WR/RB, WR/RB etc until the last 3 rounds then take a kicker and D and maybe a backup TE.

He posted it on the league home page and everyone was cool with it.

This gave us a road map to his draft preference, and would have worked out well. Gives him a QB about when he planned on taking one, 3 RBs and 2 WRs in the 1st 6 rounds - in the combo preferences it's whichever is higher on the list when he picked.

You have to not only have a list but a basic strategy or list of preferred picks. :overhead: