Sign in to follow this  
Ryedog

Vernon Davis?

I am looking like one of the fools who jumped on the Vernon davis hype machine and reached for him in my draft when guys like Heap and Cooley were still available.

Brutal so far :thumbsdown:

Is there any hope he will turn it around, or is it time to look to the WW for tight end?

EVen though I told myself not to I also jumped but I did back myself up with Owens Daniels. I noticed last year other than 1 game and when he was hurt he wasnt a big part of there offense. He had that one game where he had the TD , next game he got a zero. I watched the last 2 games and he cant get seperation and Alex Smith does not look his way and they use he as a blocker alot. All reasons to worry. To the bench he goes.

I cannot believe how off I was with Davis. Not only did I reach but I left the likes of Winslow, Heap and others sittiong there not to mention the hit I took at other positions (QB, WR) by taking a TE so early. I know now he would have been there especially since Winslow was there and worst case I stumble into the TE in a 51 pt game.

The bottom line is Alex Smith stinks although he shows an occasional flash and they are just not throwing that much at all. They are 2-0 and the Niners are simply not going to take too many chances while they are winning games.

Someone say something positive I may need to start seeing that FF shrink I used to see. I can't go through a season like this.

Just goes to show ya, a players 40 time and how much he cxan bench press may be impressive, but it don't mean sh!!t on the football field.

I bet Davis can out run, jump, and lift Todd Heap. he probably has less bodyfat and could pound the crap out of him, too. But get him on the field, and Heap is a monster and Davis disappears.

Count me in this boat. I reached for him in the 6th freaking round. I could have had Cooley or Winslow! After week 1 I wasn't too worried, but now I am. And next week won't be any better @PIT. Needless to say I'm looking for another TE right now.

its not just davis' fault, its also alex smith's insecurity with deep passes .... he gives davis a ton of looks but doesn't want to risk a turnover or maybe he just doesn't have the arm... untill he gets some balls and takes chances expect sf's passing game to be very sub-par.

I'm about ready to jump ship soon.... not yet... i'm gonna give VD a little more time, but he's on a short, short leash.... <_<

Ya I took him in the ninth rd in a ppr league ahead of Winslow. Just picked up owen daniels and sitting vernon on the bench. He literally cost me my week one loss (1 point).

its not just davis' fault, its also alex smith's insecurity with deep passes .... he gives davis a ton of looks but doesn't want to risk a turnover or maybe he just doesn't have the arm... untill he gets some balls and takes chances expect sf's passing game to be very sub-par.

I agree with this.

I think that they do seem to feature him in the offense.

He runs alot of motions and such, but Alex Smith just doesn't look like he has it. Maybe they just miss Norv Turner, but they are supposedly running the same offense.

With all of that talent, I would assume that they will turn it around. Especially since Alex Smith could obviously some sort of safety valve, in the offense, to rely on. It just makes too much sense.

But we'll see. I picked up Marcedes Lewis to back him up - who is finally starting to play like he was supposed to.

I think the lesson here is that a TE does not come into the league and tear it up. It usually takes a TE 3 years to develop.

I'm not going to drop him. But I am benching him until he shows something.

As far as a fill replacement, both Owen Daniels and Eric Johnson are sitting on waivers. Who would be the better addition?

I had Kellen Winslow rated above him but he went too early in my leagues for me to get him. The one league I have V. Davis in I at least also have Greg Olsen and Ben Watson, so no worries. Not happy at all with V. Davis though. I still have hope for him though. It's only two weeks.

I'm not going to drop him. But I am benching him until he shows something.

As far as a fill replacement, both Owen Daniels and Eric Johnson are sitting on waivers. Who would be the better addition?

My feeling is that it's Johnson, but he's injury prone to a certain extent. Defenses have figured out how to take away the deep ball the Saints like throw and I think the loss of Joe Horn is hurting them more than people anticipated. Defenses are now keying on Colston and taking away the deep ball for the likes of Henderson, so Brees is having to adjust by throwing more underneath routes to Johnson. He's gonna put up good #'s, especially in PPR leagues. I hate to say it, but for some reason I see David Patten getting a bigger role in the offense because of their lack of a proven WR. From what I've seen of him though, he doesn't like to take a hit. I saw him duck two catches in the 1st game because the cover guy had a bead on him.

tight end Vernon Davis had two catches for 23 yards on Sunday, but the second-year player felt that the Cardinals were unable to cover him even once. "There wasn't too much double-team [coverage]," Davis told the Sacramento Bee. "Every route I ran, I got open. Every route."

Our View: Either Alex Smith is blind or Davis' definition of "open" is different than his quarterback's because Smith only targeted Vernon twice on Sunday.

Aside from the fact Alex Smith isn't very good, it could be a by-product of losing Norv Turner in the off-season. Norv has a history of making names for Tight Ends and perhaps Vernon's projections were faulty because they were formulated using last season's offensive schemes as a blueprint. The 49ers weren't supposed to change much from the offense this season, but Nolan is a defensive-minded coach who has the team playing very conservatively. I'm beginning to suspect the loss of Norv Turner is a bigger drawback to this offense than previously anticipated.

Winslow is a perfect example of why it is worthwhile to watch preseason games. Many thought that Winslow would not be able to come back from MicroFracture surgery, but Winslow showed right away in preseason that he was back. I actually drafted Gates and Winslow in a league where we have a WR/TE flex position and I'm starting both of them. I doubt that too many WR's drafted in the 7th round are outperforming Winslow right now.

Our View: Either Alex Smith is blind or Davis' definition of "open" is different than his quarterback's because Smith only targeted Vernon twice on Sunday.

The latter, I watched that game and he wasn't open at all on a lot of his routes. He may be a physical "freak" genetics wise and training wise but unless he can run some effective routes and get separation that body won't do him any good except make appearances on Under Armor commercials.