Sign in to follow this  
today32

Defense by Committee

Assuming that you don't have a sure-fire defense to start each week, it can sometimes be difficult to choose one over another, especially early in the year.

Here are some questions that may be interesting to debate:

1. Do you start DEFs that are playing on the road or at home?

2. Do you start a DEF against a team that is coming off a big offensive game? (IE, starting Oakland against Cleveland this week)

3. Do you choose a DEF that has a good/bad/average offense?

4. Do you start a DEF against a young QB?

5. Do you start a DEF against a team that doesn't score a lot of points, or one that scores points but has an increased amount of turnovers?

6. Do you look at the over/under betting lines to choose a DEF that is predicted to have a low scoring game?

Any thoughts or additional questions to consider?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I walked through the decision making process for me this week:

I'm deciding this week between Denver DEF at home against Jacksonville, or taking KC DEF at home vs. Minny. I thought about going with Oakland DEF vs. Cleveland, but their offensive outburst last week has made me gunshy.

So here we go, choosing DEN DEF vs. Jax or KC DEF vs. Minny:

1. Both Denver and KC defenses play at home. Positive IMO.

2. Neither Jax nor Minny are coming off big offensive games.

3. Denver's offense can easily run the ball to control/dominate the clock. KC's offense has struggled but has potential to bounce back in their first home game this week. IMO having an average offense gives the defense more opportunity to be on the field, but not be on the field while they are tired.

4. Gerrard is young, but seems to be poised and limits turnovers. T Jackson is also young and threw 4 INTs last week.

5. Neither JAX or MIN score a lot of points. JAX (3 FUM) protects the ball well, while MIN (5 INTs, 2 FUM) does not.

6. Both have low over/unders: DEN/JAX is 35.5; KC/MIN is 33.

Overall I'm thinking that KC should be the correct matchup choice, but it's still a tough decision.

You're making it too complicated:

Step One, figure out who Joey Harrington is playing this week.

Step Two, pick up that Defense. (Carolina this week)

LOL, that's my main strategy, but Carolina isn't on the WW. I will say this however, that quite a few of ATL's opponents this year are currently on the waiver wire, great for folks like us =)

What kind of tard league does nobody have Denver or J-Ville defenses already on a roster??!!!

Denver is already on my roster and Jax on the road in Denver is a terrible start considering the other teams that are available this week.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on the topic, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh yes...sorry i was clogging up all the other great responses to your idiotic thread. :banana:

The amount of looks....with little response should notify you of your lameness.

But by all means....carry on.

Oh yes...sorry i was clogging up all the other great responses to your idiotic thread. :thumbsdown:

The amount of looks....with little response should notify you of your lameness.

But by all means....carry on.

Obviously you didn't get the hint the first time, so here it is again:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on the topic, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I always prefer to start a team at home. I look at pts allowed and see if one of the defenses is substantially better then the others. I look at yards allowed and see if I can gain any insight there. Then last I look at sacks, interceptions, fumble recoveries, and defensive touchdowns in that order.

Teams that are sacking the QB are usually creating situations where ints and fumbles happen, and if you want to score on defense you have to create turnovers.

Teams that are sacking the QB are usually creating situations where ints and fumbles happen, and if you want to score on defense you have to create turnovers.

I've always thought about sacks causing fumbles, but never the fact that if they are good at pressuring the QB, INTs will also be a byproduct of that.

Excellent point BBBO :thumbsdown:

And apprantly you didnt get it the first time so ill try it again...only slower for you.

Nobody gives a fvck about your thread......thanks for playing......you're a douche.

Get it this time chief?

I always prefer to start a team at home. I look at pts allowed and see if one of the defenses is substantially better then the others. I look at yards allowed and see if I can gain any insight there. Then last I look at sacks, interceptions, fumble recoveries, and defensive touchdowns in that order.

I too agree with your point on the number of sacks, but I tend to ignore the TDs since a team won't consistently score TDs on defense every week.

And apprantly you didnt get it the first time so ill try it again...only slower for you.

Nobody gives a fvck about your thread......thanks for playing......you're a douche.

Get it this time chief?

If you don't care about a thread then ignore it... the fact that you have posted in this thread so much would lead me to conclude that you:

a) are trying to compensate for one of many short comings

:thumbsdown: have some bizarre homoerotic obsession with the original poster

c) are just some internet tough guy (aka douche bag)

d) all of the above

Denver is already on my roster and Jax on the road in Denver is a terrible start considering the other teams that are available this week.

Actually, the Denver offense has given up the 2nd most fantasy points this season to defenses. Granted, it is only 2 games, but still.

I was going to drop Jax and pick up Indy, but I figured I might do some more investigation :thumbsdown:

Actually, the Denver offense has given up the 2nd most fantasy points this season to defenses. Granted, it is only 2 games, but still.

Since I have Henry, I've followed the Denver games so far and boy has Cutler choked in the red zone. They just don't like pounding the ball inside the 10 yard line, I haven't quite figured it out yet =(

Anyways, back to the topic... In our league Denver gave up 4 points to the Buffalo DEF (no Sp Teams points in our league), but did give up 11 points to Oakland last week, which is probably 3 or 4 points above average. So because of Cutler you may have a point, but for me, I'll take my chances with T. Jackson on the road at KC. I bet he's good for at least 2 TOs.

I'd really like to see the numbers crunched (maybe the 2006 season numbers) to show if DEFs at home average more fantasy points than they do on the road. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Since I have Henry, I've followed the Denver games so far and boy has Cutler choked in the red zone. They just don't like pounding the ball inside the 10 yard line, I haven't quite figured it out yet =(

Anyways, back to the topic... In our league Denver gave up 4 points to the Buffalo DEF (no Sp Teams points in our league), but did give up 11 points to Oakland last week, which is probably 3 or 4 points above average. So because of Cutler you may have a point, but for me, I'll take my chances with T. Jackson on the road at KC. I bet he's good for at least 2 TOs.

I'd really like to see the numbers crunched (maybe the 2006 season numbers) to show if DEFs at home average more fantasy points than they do on the road. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Part of it is TD's given up. You also have to be careful that if you drop a DEF now (like JAX), you may not get them back later. I am typically pretty late in WW order, so I have to make moves on kickers, TE's, and DEF's a week earlier than everyone else. Ideally, I would be eyeing HOU starting next week to replace JAX. Since they have Indy this week, I figure that they will be available to me next week as well.

The point being that you need to look for trends.

As far as stats of points given up home or away, I have never seen it broken down in that manner. You can get the points allowed here along with game logs, but I have not seen it compiled. :doublethumbsup:

I'm using this strategy too, but I just got the Sheeite kicked out of me with it in week 2. There are a few bad offenses to bet against 1. KC 2. Minny 3. Atlanta 4. Miami - I tried against Cleveland last week and I got a big fat resounding loss.

Just advised some guy to do that early yesterday. I have Chicago.........HESTER!

BTW, last year the team you looked for to do this against was Oakland.

Part of it is TD's given up. You also have to be careful that if you drop a DEF now (like JAX), you may not get them back later. I am typically pretty late in WW order, so I have to make moves on kickers, TE's, and DEF's a week earlier than everyone else. Ideally, I would be eyeing HOU starting next week to replace JAX. Since they have Indy this week, I figure that they will be available to me next week as well.

Outside of Chicago, Baltimore and maybe 1 or 2 other defenses, there aren't many that you will blindly start each week. IMO, Jax falls into the category of being a solid defense, but not one that you will blindly start each week. Plus Jax doesn't seem to create many turnovers, and that looks like a trend dating back a few years I think.

Like you mentioned, I utilize 3 roster spots to carry extra DEFs for upcoming weeks. Somebody snagged Houston last week before me (I figured I had time to wait on picking them up, but I was wrong.), so my week 4 start will have to go to Detroit at home vs. Chicago. But for week 5 I have Ten at home against ATL, that should be juicy.

At this point I try to take teams playing ATL, and if that's not available, then focus on the next best defense that is playing at home.

Play that Detroit defense this week. I am sitting the Houston upstarts in favor of the Lions based on a great matchup for them and a horrid one for the Tejans.

Chicago has yielded 6 sacks and thrown 3 picks. Plus...they have fumbled the ball NINE TIMES already!!

Indy is very tough on fantasy Ds. They give you nada.

I'm going with the Tennessee DEF this week at home and coming off a bye week vs. Atlanta, tons of positives to this one.

My thought is that defenses coming off a bye week ought to perform at a higher level than they normally would, so we'll re-visit these teams after today's games and see if this theory holds water:

Evaluating teams coming off Week 4 byes

TEN vs. Atl

WAS vs. Det

JAX @ KC

NO vs. Car

My DEF Starts YTD

Wk 1: JAX vs. Ten (13 pa, 2 s, 1 int, 1 fr) - 10 fp

Wk 2: JAX vs. Atl (7 pa, 7 s) - 11 fp

Wk 3: KC vs. Min (10 pa, 5 s, 1 fr) - 11 fp

Wk 4: DET vs. Chi (27 pa, 6 s, 3 int, 1 td, 1 blk) - 16 fp

* 7.4 fp/g is the average defensive output in our league.

wash. vs. det.??? where you getting that one at? kitna leads the nfl in pass yards.

Sorry, those 4 games are not my *picks* for this week. They are the 4 teams that are coming off of bye weeks and I want to see if my theory that "defenses coming off a bye week perform better than normal" has validity. I edited my previous post to make it more clear.

Tennessee DEF is my pick for the week.

I look at home field, defensive/offensive injuries, current defensive/offensive performance and then add a touch of instinct.

With what was available on the WW this week, I was between Ari and GB. I chose GB.

I platoon Defenses every year and it is my, should I say "claim to fame"

My strategy is fairly simple (at least until weather becomes a factor)

Start defenses with a pass rush and are up against a not so good QB/O-line.

This strategy will indelibly maximize turnovers and have potential for huge scoring.

Its that simple. Don't get caught up in homefield. In my experience it doesn't have a significant effect.

Also look 2-3 weeks in advance for defense matchups and pick them up early (my league has caught on to my genius... <_< )

Sorry, those 4 games are not my *picks* for this week. They are the 4 teams that are coming off of bye weeks and I want to see if my theory that "defenses coming off a bye week perform better than normal" has validity. I edited my previous post to make it more clear.

Tennessee DEF is my pick for the week.

boy, was i ever wrong. it should have been one of my picks. kitna shouldn't have been.