Sign in to follow this  
davebg

WAS homers: Tell me about Portis

I'm thinking of trading for him, but I question things like his health, the health of the O line and the general direction of the O. I also have Cooley as my starting TE.

I'm thinking of trading for him, but I question things like his health, the health of the O line and the general direction of the O. I also have Cooley as my starting TE.

Portis is fine. His health is fine. The problem is teams are just stacking the box against him. Jason Campbell throws dink and dunk 10 yard passes and everyone plays up. It's very frustrating to watch every week, constant 3 and outs, strange gadget plays, questionable play calling decisions. Something is amiss here in DC, the skins can't decide whether their a run 1st team like in the past or a big-play vertical team, it's a mess. I would avoid Portis if possible. Nothing against CP, but the offense is just not consistent enough.

He has a knee condition, but it has not kept him out of any games this year and barring anything freakish I dont see it limiting him in the future. However it seems they have been limiting his carries somewhat this year and averages out to about 17 per game. He also sees some action catching balls out of the backfield. I own him in one of my leagues and he has been solid albeit not spectacular. He is a very solid #2 RB. 5 TD's on the season along with 433 yds. rushing and 156 yards on 19 receptions.

The O-line has had alot of injuries, but even with the carousel they have had, Portis has still been effective and the Skins running game overall has been serviceable. The O-Line is getting healthier tho and they got back a starter or 2 last week.

The offense has been underacheiving as of late. More so the passing game has been severely lacking, and that has in turn limited the running game somewhat, but not as much as would be expected. Like I said, the running game has been solid, and IMO, it will only improve as the o-line gets healthier.

I think that as Campbell gets more experience under his belt, the passing game will come around and that will only open things up for the running game. I mean Santana Moss has been severely underacheiving, Brandon Lloyd has been virtually invisible, Randle-El and Cooley have been the only consistent receiving threats along with Portis. Campbell really has been pretty decent this year considering his inexperience, and will only get better with time.

All in all, Portis IMO is worth trading for as long as you dont give up too much for him. He is very consistent, and gets most of the action around the goal line. He hasn't missed any time because of injury which is a good sign for Portis owners considering last years debacle. He catches out of the backfield. His YPC hasnt been very impressive this year at 3.75 per, but I chalk that up to opposing defenses stacking the box and making Campbell beat them rather than letting the RB's beat them, and the offensive line being banged up. His YPC should improve and he more than makes up for it with the TD's and the yardage he gains from receptions.

All in all, Portis IMO is worth trading for as long as you dont give up too much for him.

I'd be giving up Roethlisberger (I start Palmer), so I wouldn't be giving up anything not on my bench.

I guess I like the schedule. I think I like it b/c I know how NFC East games play out, no matter how much better/worse one team is than the other. Plus I like their out of conf games vs the bottom of the AFC East. The game vs MIN is rough, but I guess I can deal w/that if I get that far.

week 9 @NYJ :mad:

week10 vs PHI

week11 @DAL

week12 @TB

week13 vs BUF :thumbsup:

week14 vs CHI

week15 @NYG

week16 @MIN :lol:

week17 vs DAL

I would do that trade for sure. Let me just warn you, I own Portis in a PPR league, and that has made a difference in that the against the Pats he had 11/27 but had 5 catches for 54 yds. So in standard scoring he would have had 7 points, but in PPR he had 12. He has some real nice match ups coming up tho, and the 27 yds. was because WASH fell behind early and had to abandon the running game. He plays the Jets, Eagles, Cowboys, Bucs, Buffalo, and Chicago in the next 6 weeks. Pretty nice looking schedule.

I would do that trade for sure. Let me just warn you, I own Portis in a PPR league, and that has made a difference in that the against the Pats he had 11/27 but had 5 catches for 54 yds. So in standard scoring he would have had 7 points, but in PPR he had 12. He has some real nice match ups coming up tho, and the 27 yds. was because WASH fell behind early and had to abandon the running game. He plays the Jets, Eagles, Cowboys, Bucs, Buffalo, and Chicago in the next 6 weeks. Pretty nice looking schedule.

We're not PPR, but he's done well this season w/our scoring b/c of the TDs and the rec yds.

He's put up: 15, 13, 16, -, 7, 7, 17, 9 for 11th in pts among RBs (not incl Ronnie Brown, who was STILL #1, as of yesterday's games.

I don't like Portis going forward. The Skins line is totally screwed and IMO he doesn't look like he is hitting the holes like he usted too. I think he has lost a step because of his knee injury ,which is minor and he hasn't miss time, but he is not the explosive Portis I am usted too.

He may not be the explosive Portis your used to, but that doesnt mean he is not a FF commodity worthy of ownership. He hits holes fine, its the lack of holes that has been the problem in some cases. He is a RB in a system where he is featured, plus he gets the majority of goalline duties, plus he catches the ball out of the backfield, plus he is in a run first system on a team that wins with defense, field position, time of possesion and running the ball. And as I have pointed out earlier, he has some really nice matchups ahead. I mean, what more can you ask for out of a solid RB 2 that could be had for a QB like Worthlessburger? You do that trade because it improves your team. Period.

I don't like Portis going forward. The Skins line is totally screwed and IMO he doesn't look like he is hitting the holes like he usted too. I think he has lost a step because of his knee injury ,which is minor and he hasn't miss time, but he is not the explosive Portis I am usted too.

]First off, what word is this..."usted", like busted without the b ?

Second, I'm glad Kevin Jones has emerged, cause I think CP or SA will go to the bench.

He's not as explosive, and his offense sucks.

I haven't seen many holes for him to run through. The old man needs to figure out the vertical passing game to take some pressure off the running game.

I watched the NE game & Portis looked very explosive the few times he saw daylight. He looked like the old Portis to me. Yes, The O-line is struggling & the holes are not always there, but Portis is still a top-12 fantasy RB.

I was thinking about trading for him (I have too many WRs) but now I'm backing off..

I have Parker, Maroney, Graham, F. Taylor...

Who are your RBs, davebg??

I was thinking about trading for him (I have too many WRs) but now I'm backing off..

I have Parker, Maroney, Graham, F. Taylor...

Who are your RBs, davebg??

Jacobs, FTaylor, JuJones, SYoung, DRhodes

I'm hoping that Henry will be suspended in the next couple of weeks and I'll go w/Young & Jacobs. However, in the meantime I need a better option than FTaylor at the RB2. Plus, given how easily Jacobs seems to get banged up I like some extra insurance.

Like I've said, I think that Roethlisberger is worth more than Portis (in my league's scoring system Palmer is the #5 QB w/154 pts and Big Ben is the #6 QB w/148.5 pts), but I don't think I will be able to get much more for him due to other people's perception of him and who in my league needs a QB and has RBs to trade.

i doubt you could get portis for your backup QB unless the guy is stacked at RB...just sayin.

8000 wooohoooo!

i doubt you could get portis for your backup QB unless the guy is stacked at RB...just sayin.

8000 wooohoooo!

He's already offered him to me.

His QBs suck ass (Griese & VY) in a 6pt/all TD league.

He's got a number of options at RB (Gore, KJones, Portis are his big three).

He's already offered him to me.

His QBs suck ass (Griese & VY) in a 6pt/all TD league.

He's got a number of options at RB (Gore, KJones, Portis are his big three).

i don't think you can lose with that trade then, if you already have palmer.

Gave up Chambers straight up for him in 1 league(PPR) and am happy as can be. Won me my game this week actually...

Gave up Steve Smith AND Stallworth in another to get him(Not PPR) and had some buyers remorse, but after watching SS get 18 yards with Carr, am happy as well...

He may not be the explosive Portis your used to, but that doesnt mean he is not a FF commodity worthy of ownership. He hits holes fine, its the lack of holes that has been the problem in some cases. He is a RB in a system where he is featured, plus he gets the majority of goalline duties, plus he catches the ball out of the backfield, plus he is in a run first system on a team that wins with defense, field position, time of possesion and running the ball. And as I have pointed out earlier, he has some really nice matchups ahead. I mean, what more can you ask for out of a solid RB 2 that could be had for a QB like Worthlessburger? You do that trade because it improves your team. Period.

"a QB like Worthlessburger"?? Roethlisberger is number 4 in my league for QB scoring, after Brady, Romo, and Anderson, and ahead of P. Manning. I'm not saying the deal shouldn't be made; merely pointing out that Roethlisberger has been pretty good this year.

"a QB like Worthlessburger"?? Roethlisberger is number 4 in my league for QB scoring, after Brady, Romo, and Anderson, and ahead of P. Manning. I'm not saying the deal shouldn't be made; merely pointing out that Roethlisberger has been pretty good this year.

There's the problem. His numbers are much better than his reputation. There's really no way to get true value for the guy, but his pts are rotting away on my bench, so I've got to take the best deal that I can get, which happens to be Portis.

There's the problem. His numbers are much better than his reputation. There's really no way to get true value for the guy, but his pts are rotting away on my bench, so I've got to take the best deal that I can get, which happens to be Portis.

I agree. I was simply noting that Roethlisberger has done well, but you still have Palmer and RBs like Portis have a lot of value with all the RB injuries this year. :doublethumbsup:

Yeah, roth is not worthless, but in a QB for RB trade, the QB is always gonna be undervalued, because there will be another QB, for the most part, that you can plug in to get around 75% of the production the burger will give you. Where as with RBs, you might currently be starting Vernand Morency, so Portis will be a 400% upgrade. Usually in trades I make, QBs are only throw ins, unless we're talking about Peyton/Brady...

Yeah, roth is not worthless, but in a QB for RB trade, the QB is always gonna be undervalued, because there will be another QB, for the most part, that you can plug in to get around 75% of the production the burger will give you. Where as with RBs, you might currently be starting Vernand Morency, so Portis will be a 400% upgrade. Usually in trades I make, QBs are only throw ins, unless we're talking about Peyton/Brady...

The other guy is starting Griese/VY, who are at the bottom of the league. Ben is the #6 QB in my scoring system. It's 6pts for all TDs, so it makes a big diff. Also, we do team QB, so there's much less on the WW than one would normally expect.

I'd rather start Ben right now than Palmer....wish I had that option. The Cincy offense is less than mediocre, & I don't see WR Chris Henry as the panacea..... Palmer has been a big disappointment to me this year; his mediocrity has played a big role in my 3-5 record...

I'd rather start Ben right now than Palmer....wish I had that option. The Cincy offense is less than mediocre, & I don't see WR Chris Henry as the panacea..... Palmer has been a big disappointment to me this year; his mediocrity has played a big role in my 3-5 record...

Ben is def the safer play, but not the better play. Palmer has more upside. You know CIN will be playing from behind and throwing the ball every week. I can see PIT running the ball quite a bit, esp if they are ahead.

I wouldn't touch Portis. He still has the premier RB role on the offense, but there are a few problems. First of all, the offensive line has turned into a disaster thanks to injuries, and it's limiting the entire offense. Secondly, Campbell is doing nothing to stretch the field despite having 2 deep threats at WR, although this could be a product of the offensive line as well. Finally, Portis does not look right. He doesn't have the same speed and burst that he's had over the past few years, and it's obvious to me that he's not 100%. If the Redskins fall out of it, although that seems unlikely given their solid record, Portis could be shut down.