Sign in to follow this  
Mooseknuckles FF

Sick of Pats Running It Up?

From what I have seen, Moss (and TO for that matter) are rarely even touched. (One of my biggest football pet peeves) Sure, he has the speed to burn the CB if he doesn't get a good jam, but I don't even see teams try to redirect him...it's sad.

Watch the film. They are getting jammed at the line when teams are playing press/man coverage. All 3 of the Pats WR's are very good at using their hands to swim away from the contact and get a huge separation. Watch those plays when Moss, Stallworth, or Welker are wide open and that was a DB attempting to jam the receiver. You have to pick your poison with those guys.

Ultimately, you need to bring the pressure and be able to cover 3 very good WR's with man-to-man coverage. That is very easy to say from here, but the reality is that the O-line does a very good job of pass protection (and they get RB chip blocks if necessary), the WR's get off the line very well (and they scheme if necessary), and Brady moves well in the pocket and makes good decisions. That makes it very difficult to deal with, especially when all of those things are happening at a very high rate.

The only thing I would like to say is anyone seeing these wr's getting hit a the line of scrimmage or are they always getting a free release?

Isn't it a sad state of the NFL when people like you and me see the obvious. The way to put pressure on Brady is to man up at the LOS and beat up Moss, Stallworth and Welker. THAT is exactly how the Pats beat the colts a few years back. They beat up Harrison and Wayne at the LOS. That was Belicheck's plan. Stallworth will pull a hammy trying to get off the jam. Moss will get frustrated as will Brady when you bring the heat at the same time.

It's quite obvious that all other attempts at D have failed. The worst being that stupid rush 2 and drop 9 in coverage. That was just stupid.

Anyone catch Mike & Mike this morning? They validated my statement that in the old days where Golic said, you hoped to hurt the opposing player. Not intentionally but Golic said that when he got hold of the QB, he tried his hardest to drive the QB 3 feet into the ground. If the QB didn't get up, then that was his problem. Want to beat NE? Do that to Brady.

In a few weeks, FF will be over, and it's the "offseason". You need to get your posts/day to zero, and go get a life.

Seriously, I'm speaking as a human offering guidances.

The season is over, close the laptop and have more human interaction, there's nothing to see here.

Like I said, in a few weeks you will be gone. You would be surprise how much good information you can gather in a short period of time once the non-contributors are gone.

Isn't it a sad state of the NFL when people like you and me see the obvious. The way to put pressure on Brady is to man up at the LOS and beat up Moss, Stallworth and Welker. THAT is exactly how the Pats beat the colts a few years back.

They beat up Harrison and Wayne at the LOS.

you know that they changed the rules in the NFL after that? There was enough outrage by the Colt's Bill Polian (who sits on the competition committee) that they actually changed the rules.

The following year, Peyton Manning broke the Passing TD record and passing stats in the league were at an all time high.

As a NE fan, I have no problem with the old way... when football was a more physical game... but that's not how it is now and NE has adjusted to succeed in this new environment.

It really doesn't matter which style you want to allow them to play. NE has proven to be successful either way.

Like I said, in a few weeks you will be gone. You would be surprise how much good information you can gather in a short period of time once the non-contributors are gone.

Good information about NHL, NBA or MLB ?

Guys like you need help,, you should find someone to talk to.

"'LOD01' post='3429569' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:35 AM'= Isn't it a sad state of the NFL when people like you and me see the obvious. The way to put pressure on Brady is to man up at the LOS and beat up Moss, Stallworth and Welker. THAT is exactly how the Pats beat the colts a few years back. They beat up Harrison and Wayne at the LOS. Moss will get frustrated as will Brady when you bring the heat at the same time. It's quite obvious that all other attempts at D have failed. The worst being that stupid rush 2 and drop 9 in coverage. That was just stupid. "

Mr Dynasty it wasn't a rule change. It was the NFL putting a re-emphasis on the current rules and instructing the refs to call pass interference penalties correctly, or as they were supposed to be called with the rules that were already in place. I know this because I was educated to this fact last week when I made the same claim. However the point is still valid, the Pats were manhandling the Colts and the NFL had to make the decision to clean up the whole league. Not just the Patriots. Now what have we seen since then? NFL record books getting destroyed!!!! Peyton broke the record, LT broke the record and offenses have a lot more free space to run plays.

Guys it's pretty much impossible to stop this Patriots offense right now. Just yesterday here's what John Madden suggested he would do.

"It's the best offense I've ever seen. I said the other night that Tom Brady is playing the position of quarterback, right now, better than I've ever seen anyone play it in my history. Where they go as the best team [of all time], I think offensively they are right there. I think the best offensive teams that won were probably the San Francisco 49ers, in my mind, and I think this [offense] -- the way they're playing right now -- is probably better. Again, I put the whole thing together with the offensive line and the receivers and the quarterback and everything."I think New England, especially offensively, is as close to perfect as you can be. They are obviously the best team in the NFL and I think the gap is pretty big. The argument would be who is second and for a long time everyone kind of agreed that it was the Indianapolis Colts, and because of injuries and so on that they have now, it's probably not. You probably have to go to Dallas and Green Bay.

"Having said that, it's just a joy to watch these guys because as a coach, you always think 'What would I do defensively? What would I take away? Would I rush Brady? Would I cover?' If you rush him and blitz him, he's going to get rid of the ball quickly, about the same percentage he does if you drop back. There is no answer to anything that you can do to him that is going to be successful. The real answer would be that you have to get pressure on him, but you have to get pressure on him with a four-man rush. There are not many teams -- there aren't any teams -- that can do that because like I said the other night the most underrated part of this team is their offensive line.

"If you were going to stop them, you would have to double Randy Moss all the time. You would have to always have seven guys in coverage, and have a four-man rush that can put pressure on him. That's good in theory. The problem with that is that their offensive line is as dominant as the rest of the parts of their offense, and they won't let you do that."

Please take note, blitzing doesn't work on Brady, his completion percentages are still off the charts. About the only thing that would work is running a straight up Defense that can get pressure on Brady with 3 or 4 linemen. However as Madden points out the OLine is playing so well that's really hard to do right now.

When LOD01 says "do what the Pats did a few years back against the Colts" I have two reasons why I don't think it's that easy...

1- There isn't a Defense in the NFL that is playing as well as those Patriots were playing then. That was an elite Patriots Defense that helped win the 3 SuperBowls. I can't honestly say that this D is as good. I can comfortably say no team in the NFL today has a D as good as the 03 or 04 Super Bowl Patriots.

2 - The Patriots are playing at a higer level offensively then those Colts were. The statistics back that up, what I am watching seems to back that up as well. I also think Brady is playing a superior QB to Peyton's MVP season and that Moss is playing a superior WR to Harrison or Wayne from those years.

If I were coaching against the Patriots I would make them run the ball and try to get pressure with 3 linemen while covering downfield. Put 2 linemen down and 5 LBs behind them, with many of them playing close to the line of scrimmage and maybe an extra safety playing up in one of those LB spots like Rodney did against the Cowboys and Colts. Just keep alternating which LB or pair of LB's rushes in. Give Brady a million looks. I'm pretty sure the Pats can pound the ball, but even the biggest Home Town Homers like myself have to admit it is the one glaring concern with this years Patriots. Sure they can "run the clock out". But can they start a game out pounding the ball, can they control the clock and slow things down like we'd probably want to do if we faced Indy or San Diego again. If we don't do that to them, they'll do that to us. As far as blitzing and testing Brady? I don't think it makes any sense, if you are really watching these games without bias it's obvious Brady is making this offense work, Moss is playing great, the line is playing great, but Brady is playing out of this world, probably the best single season by any NFL player in history. Why would you challenge the best player? You take away the best player and challenge the running game. Taking away Brady means less linemen and more LB's and DB's who can cover.

If I was Buffalo last night and you are getting killed, and Belicheck still has Brady in the game why aren't you sending the kitchen sink. Eventually someone has to teach Pats some humility about what they are trying to do. In my opinion it is classless to be going for it on 4th down every time you get a chance and throwing it every play.

If teams start blitzing on evry down i think it will open up even more oprotunities for brady thus making the score even worse...

Watch the film. They are getting jammed at the line when teams are playing press/man coverage. All 3 of the Pats WR's are very good at using their hands to swim away from the contact and get a huge separation. Watch those plays when Moss, Stallworth, or Welker are wide open and that was a DB attempting to jam the receiver. You have to pick your poison with those guys.

Ultimately, you need to bring the pressure and be able to cover 3 very good WR's with man-to-man coverage. That is very easy to say from here, but the reality is that the O-line does a very good job of pass protection (and they get RB chip blocks if necessary), the WR's get off the line very well (and they scheme if necessary), and Brady moves well in the pocket and makes good decisions. That makes it very difficult to deal with, especially when all of those things are happening at a very high rate.

Please...

Tell me how many times Moss has been touched - let alone jammed - at the LOS on his TD catches. Is he good at reducing the effectiveness of a jam? Yes, but it doesn't mean you don't try. And if you were watching the film - or just using common sense - you would know Welker isn't getting jammed because he is in the slot almost every play.

Having said that, you are picking your poison with NE. Get five sacks and allow five passing TDs if you bring heavy pressure or get no rush and allow 5 or 6 scores - that's the risk. But even though the Colts are known as a cover 2 team, they are an aggressive, swarming defense. The problem with most of the Patriots' opponents this season is they are more reactive than proactive defenses. I expect BAL and PIT (with healthy CBs) to reduce the effectiveness of New England's offense just a bit (like 2-3 TDs as opposed to 4-5) because they can both bring pressure and cover capably for 2-3 seconds.

The biggest problem I have with this "success" that Moss and Brady are having is neither player is getting popped. I highly doubt either player is even sore on Monday.