Sign in to follow this  
RamslovaMartzhata

Good D for the stretch run - Miami

Despite a completely inept offense, the Miami D has been playing very well for the last 4 weeks, and they have some games against some awful offenses coming up. Just wanted to share this little tidbit because they are likely available in most leagues.

Uhh they have't won a game yet. Usually you would take the D playing against Miami.

This is bad advice , sorry.

Even if you buy into the premise they have improved of late - although only in the last two weeks has their production been above the mean from a FF perspective - teams that are playing from behind, generally speaking, will score less than teams that are leading.

Winning NFL teams tend to have more productive FF DT because their opponents are passing more often to catch up, leading to more sacks/fumbles/interceptions.

Generally.

Just my take.

Even if you buy into the premise they have improved of late - although only in the last two weeks has their production been above the mean from a FF perspective - teams that are playing from behind, generally speaking, will score less than teams that are leading.

Winning NFL teams tend to have more productive FF DT because their opponents are passing more often to catch up, leading to more sacks/fumbles/interceptions.

Generally.

Just my take.

Good advice there. It's no coincidence that the Pats DEF is at the top or near it FF points wise. Teams are usually so far behind that they have to become 1 dimensional and thus alot easier to defend.

this is a joke right? :huh:

No joke.

Last 5 weeks of scoring in my league:

NE DST: 47.15, 31.14, 0, 45.41, 25.08

MIA DST: 28.68, 0, 35.86, 35.36, 43

Sorry, but I'm not buying the good, winning teams have good fantasy defenses theory. I guess it's hard to say because defensive scoring varies so much from league to league, but Miami has been one of the best fantasy defenses in the three leagues in which I play, and have great match-ups for the next 3 weeks.

First, conversely... with Miami's offense being so bad, you can say that the defense is on the field more and has a greater chance to make plays on that side of the ball = more chances for sacks, turnovers, TD's etc. And Miami is staying on all of these ball games, which leads to teams not abandoning the run and shorter games. That means less yardage and less points.

Second, those who say that NE has a great fantasy defense because their offense is so good are looking too far into things. Their defense is a great fantasy defense is because they have a great defense, and always have a great defense. The offensive play may be relative to that, but I think you are totally discounting the play of the defense itself. And Miami's defense is balling.

Teams like the Seattle & Minnesota all year, and as of late the Arizona and Miami D have been very good fantasy defenses in all of the leagues in which I play... and it's not like their teams are winning a ton of games.

Defenses more than anything are predicated on match-ups, and Miami's are excellent.

I'm not saying drop the Pats D for the Dolphins. But for me, I added them and am starting them over Dallas against GB that's for sure this week.

No joke.

Last 5 weeks of scoring in my league:

NE DST: 47.15, 31.14, 0, 45.41, 25.08

MIA DST: 28.68, 0, 35.86, 35.36, 43

I dont know what kind of scoring system that is.....in my league ( we don't give points for yards allowed but give 2 for sacks and turnovers), they've been over 10 points 3 times all year long. (10,12 and 22 last week was their best week because of 3 points allowed). In my other league that rewards yards allowed, they haven't got over 20 points yet, 19 last week. Any team can score on them, Thomas Jones will feast on them this week. Last week was a fluke because of the weather.

Miami DT stats last 5 weeks:

Keeper: 10, 7, 10, 12, 14

Redraft: 6, 6, 7, 9, 14

9 sacks, 6 INTs, 1 FF (recovered), 1 TD

In both leagues, only during the last two weeks have they outperformed the average, and only by a slim margin.

Top DT scores in both leagues is generally in the 20s, once or twice a year a team will top 30 (MIN last week, when they had 3 TDs)

RamslovaMartzhata

I hear what you're saying about more plays = more opportunities, but in general defenses that stay on the field too long give up big plays because of fatigue.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the good, winning teams have good fantasy defenses theory. I guess it's hard to say because defensive scoring varies so much from league to league, but Miami has been one of the best fantasy defenses in the three leagues in which I play, and have great match-ups for the next 3 weeks.

First, conversely... with Miami's offense being so bad, you can say that the defense is on the field more and has a greater chance to make plays on that side of the ball = more chances for sacks, turnovers, TD's etc. And Miami is staying on all of these ball games, which leads to teams not abandoning the run and shorter games. That means less yardage and less points.

Second, those who say that NE has a great fantasy defense because their offense is so good are looking too far into things. Their defense is a great fantasy defense is because they have a great defense, and always have a great defense. The offensive play may be relative to that, but I think you are totally discounting the play of the defense itself. And Miami's defense is balling.

Teams like the Seattle & Minnesota all year, and as of late the Arizona and Miami D have been very good fantasy defenses in all of the leagues in which I play... and it's not like their teams are winning a ton of games.

Defenses more than anything are predicated on match-ups, and Miami's are excellent.

I'm not saying drop the Pats D for the Dolphins. But for me, I added them and am starting them over Dallas against GB that's for sure this week.

I agree with RamslovaMartzhata that you do not need to start a D from a team with a good record to play down the stretch -- but my analysis is the exact opposite.

Last year I won my fantasy Superbowl by picking, off the waiver wire, the Bengals, Rams, and Chiefs - the three teams that played the Raiders - in weeks 14-16 - and got super fantasy scores each week.

It's hard to use the same strategy this year -- picking the teams that play the Dolphins -- because the Phins play the Bills in Week 14, the Ravens in Week 15, and the Pats in Week 16. All three of these defenses are taken in my 12 team league.

However, here is my good pick for WW defense in the playoffs:

***CLEVELAND***

Cleveland in week 14 plays the Jets

Cleveland in week 15 plays Buffalo

In my league, Cleveland has been a top 5 defense for the past three weeks. McGinest has been quoted as saying that the Crennel defense is finally clicking in. And they are a winning team :banana: . I just dropped the Lions D for the Cleveland D.

Cleveland plays the Bengals in week 16, so, if you are in the superbowl, you may think about picking up Arizona for week 16 against Atlanta.

so, if you had the gb d going against dallas, would you drop the bal d (going against ne) for miami this week?

Despite a completely inept offense, the Miami D has been playing very well for the last 4 weeks, and they have some games against some awful offenses coming up. Just wanted to share this little tidbit because they are likely available in most leagues.

I'll just add that it's not just about defense.

Miami's offense is HORRIBLE. Beck completed 9 passes in his first start.

They have no real WR's.

One of the defensive games' stats was cited in this thread, vs Pitt, was totally unrealistic, played in bizarre negative conditions.

Edit: One game (Philly) they got a freebee score from Ginn on a return.

They're down to their 3rd-4th string RB's (when you consider they were ready to plug in Ricky over Chatman, then he becomes the 3rd choice).

They're giving up if they don't beat the Jets, they're done, they're cooked, games could slip away from them. It's a nightmare.

Here's an idea, pick up the defense that is *playing* the Fins for each of the remaining weeks.