Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Calling all Geeks: Looking for some parenting advice or suggestions...

Lay off the alcohol and stop making your daughter pay for your financial issues. Let the debt ride awhile, drop the other job, and spend the time with your kid. Money comes and goes, kids don't.

:ninja:

kutulu,

Had the same issue with my 7 year old daughter, separation anxiety and the serious fits. I had to go on the road at unscheduled times and for unknown lengths. I just finally explained that her mother was important to me and I needed my little girl to help out while I was gone. I made extraordinary efforts to schedule stuff to do with her (and just her) and did whatever was necessary to be there (vacation time, sick days, hookie). I stopped underestimating my girl's capacity to understand and act appropriately over a year now. She's still silly but she understands what I do is necessary to ensure her mother, brother, and she have some of the things she likes when so many cannot. Actually got her to give up some of her stuffed animals to charity last Christmas on her own initiative.

Daddy's girls are difficult but can be rationalized with...to a point. GL.

Haven't read much on this thread, but my relationship with my daughter is well documented here. So, here it is:

There is no magic answer, if there were, there would be one definitive book on parenting. There isn't. The best words I can come up with is that you and your wife need to agree to and follow up on an attitude you will both take with your daughter consistently. Regardless of what happens in all of your lives, there are certain behaviors that are simply unacceptable. Tantrums, kicking etc. are unacceptable under any circumstances.

Life isn't fair nor does it become what you want it to be by tantrums or bad behavior. Sometimes it stinks and sometimes one has no control over it. In fact, unacceptable behavior only makes it worse and worse for everyone else around. Just explain that to her. She will learn a valuable life lesson.

Kids need to know that they have a job just like everyone else. Do well in school and do the chores given them around the house (I never got along better with my daughter than when her mom was gone and she had chores, developers pride, sense of self worth, job well done, praise). Suggest you and wifey come up with a routine where daughter helps mom with laundry etc. and she will jump into it. Then when daddy comes home, there is less for him to do and more time with her. Daddy needs to commend her for that.

GL bro

I didnt know I was xghey!

:mad:

Comfortable with yourself now ?

Good For you - not that there is anything wrong with that

Good stuff on page 4....last few days have been better...course I haven't had to do the overnight thing since Sunday night.