Sign in to follow this  
Moonpies

Bradshaw vs rookies in a dynasty draft?

Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent in my main dynasty league. Just looking for opinions as to where people think he fits into this years draft. I draft 8th and am wondering if I am crazy for even including him the group of players I might consider taking. Its a 0.5 point per reception, 6 point per TD league. This will sound bad but I'm stacked at all positions and will truely be looking for the best longterm position. I don't need an immediate impact and can wait a few years for someone to develop. Thanks.

Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent in my main dynasty league. Just looking for opinions as to where people think he fits into this years draft. I draft 8th and am wondering if I am crazy for even including him the group of players I might consider taking. Its a 0.5 point per reception, 6 point per TD league. This will sound bad but I'm stacked at all positions and will truely be looking for the best longterm position. I don't need an immediate impact and can wait a few years for someone to develop. Thanks.

There's a ton of Rb's coming out this year and after the top 3 (McFadden, Stewart and Mendenhall) I think Bradshaw fits right in with them... so i don't think you're "crazy"...

Obviously a few guys like K Smith from Detroit and Forte from Chicago have a good chance of gettin quality PT early, but Bradshaw fits in right along with them and the Chris Johnson's, Ray Rice, Felix Jones, Jamal Charles types that should be going in the 2nd half of the first round of Dynasty drafts.... Good Luck

Dont think youre crazy at all. I have Jacobs rostered and am sitting at 1.6 with Bradshaw available. Am considering taking him there. He looked like the best RB on the field for the Giants when he was out there

I would role the dice on Bradshaw after 1.3... you know hes on a great running team, its already been said that hes in competion to back up an injury prone RB. It really doesn't get better than that.

I drafted Bradshaw last year but let him go because I had other needs and wasn't getting enough from him at the time. Wish now I hadn't. Right now he's on my list, maybe as high as later part of the top 10. The good thing is that he's still a bit under the radar since he really didn't put up huge stats last year and is technically behind Jacobs on the depth chart. But the kid showed something last year and I would definitely grab him late 1st/early 2nd if he's still sitting there.

How does a healthy Derrick Ward affect Bradshaw? Before the injury Ward was playing pretty good when Jacobs was out.

How does a healthy Derrick Ward affect Bradshaw? Before the injury Ward was playing pretty good when Jacobs was out.

I own them both in one league. Tough to answer, they are different types of backs. Ward seems to just go balls to the wall every time he runs the ball. Bradshaw just seems to know where to take the ball and seems to have a knack at making his cuts look effortless, faster in pads than timed speed would indicate. I don't know? Great situation for the Giants to have Three very unique and different backs. If they got cute in their play calling and game planning I could see any one of the three starting on a given week. Against a smaller quicker D-Line I could see Jacobs bowling through in the first half with either of the other 2 coming in at the 3rd and 4th quarter. Vice versa maybe a bigger line and you send Bradshaw out first to get those guys running around with a change up of Ward to spell him.

1.05 would be just about right...............no later than 10.8, IMO. He is available in both of my deep keeper leagues. I've got him somewhere between Forte and K. Smith

1.05 would be just about right...............no later than 10.8, IMO. He is available in both of my deep keeper leagues. I've got him somewhere between Forte and K. Smith

I have him 1.08 right now but I have Torain in the top 7 because I'm willing to take the risk on him becoming the starter in Denver within a year or two. This may change after seeing things shake out in the preseason. A wr might jump up in there if they look good.

please hide this thread

i have picks 1.05 and 1.12 in the rookie draft, have brandon jacobs, ahmad bradshaw is the only decent veteran RB out there and i need some real RB help

you've chosen my situation/dilemma almost perfectly

please hide this thread

i have picks 1.05 and 1.12 in the rookie draft, have brandon jacobs, ahmad bradshaw is the only decent veteran RB out there and i need some real RB help

you've chosen my situation/dilemma almost perfectly

I think you have a good shot to wait and get him at 1.12 since you have Jacobs. I think the only people interested in him that high will be Jacobs' owners, Giants fans, or owners of stacked teams that aren't looking for any immediate help. When you get to 1.07 or so, alot of owners will start to consider rookie wrs and qbs. You need to start talking up all the late 1st round and 2nd round rookies.

Bradshaw has to go after any of the top guys with a good shot (<-- key words) at being the clear #1, or at being the long term clear #1. With Jacobs around, I think Bradshaw is useable, but also mired in RBBC.

I would say, something like this:

McFadden

Stewert

Mendenhal

K Smith

M Forte

F Jones / Bradshaw

rest

I also wanted to mention that while I'm at 1.08, the next two guys behind me are both diehard Giants fans. I'm hoping Bradshaw falls to me and, while on the clock, see if I can't work a good deal with one of them. One of them has a stacked team and has Jacobs so I have a feeling he may be targeting Bradshaw. At least I can hope.

Bradshaw has to go after any of the top guys with a good shot (<-- key words) at being the clear #1, or at being the long term clear #1. With Jacobs around, I think Bradshaw is useable, but also mired in RBBC.

I would say, something like this:

McFadden

Stewert

Mendenhal

K Smith

M Forte

F Jones / Bradshaw

rest

Bradshaw is a superior RB to both DMAC and F Jones, but other than your about right.

I think you have a good shot to wait and get him at 1.12 since you have Jacobs. I think the only people interested in him that high will be Jacobs' owners, Giants fans, or owners of stacked teams that aren't looking for any immediate help. When you get to 1.07 or so, alot of owners will start to consider rookie wrs and qbs. You need to start talking up all the late 1st round and 2nd round rookies.

Moonpies:

1. You have Torrian WAY to too high..............especially in Denver.

2. It is horrible advice to suggest that Bradshaw might drop to 1.12. Where he is available in rookie drafts he will go after the Big Three (although Mendenhall could drop because of his situation. On my personal board, I also have Chris Johnson ahead of him (PPR league). I will be watching the pre-season situations in Chicago and Detroit VERY closely because there are strong differences of opinion among experts about the impact that Forte and Smith might have on those teams (we have a late rookie draft). Only in drafts with extremely weak owners will he last til 1.12 or later.

I DEFINITELY have him ahead of Ray Rice and Felix Jones. Most FF owners tend to significantly overvalue rookies compared to veterans. Bradshaw showed signs last year that he can be a 'special' RB......he got it done. He is kind of a cross between MJD and Ray Rice. (I would value Ray Rice much higher if he had landed in Chicago than I value Matt Forte), but Rice went to a terrible short term situation behind McGahee). I wouldn't be suprised if Bradshaw gets as many or more touches as Jacobs this year; the difference is that he proved last year that he can do something with them.

Bradshaw will never be the 1a back as long as Jacobs is upright, and probably not even when Jacobs goes down. I just don't think the Giants view him as a mail carrier. More like a homerun hitter to put in here and there. You have to then value him as such.

If Forte or Ksmith wins the job outright this summer, they 100% become more valuable than Bradshaw.

Landed Bradshaw for 2.1... I love Rookie Hype.

Oh ya, all day there.

Bradshaw is waaaaaaay more valuable than the Steve Slantons and Jamal Charles of the world.

Rookie hype what about the Bradshaw hype? Seriously what has he done? I've seen one good game and a few 60 yard playoff games.

Rookie hype what about the Bradshaw hype? Seriously what has he done? I've seen one good game and a few 60 yard playoff games.

Hmmm, the same could be said of another Giants RB who had similar physical dimensions and skills. I don't see Brandon Jacobs in as the feature back in that offense, they want somebody who is a little more versatile and gives them more options. I think Bradshaw proved he's capable of helping fill Tiki's role and can play lightening to the Jacobs thunder. Not to mention that saying Jacobs is "frequently" injured giving him too much credit.

Hmmm, the same could be said of another Giants RB who had similar physical dimensions and skills. I don't see Brandon Jacobs in as the feature back in that offense, they want somebody who is a little more versatile and gives them more options. I think Bradshaw proved he's capable of helping fill Tiki's role and can play lightening to the Jacobs thunder. Not to mention that saying Jacobs is "frequently" injured giving him too much credit.

I hear what you are saying but to me Jacobs is the starter and Bradshaw is the #2 RB. If Jacobs goes down I see Ward becoming the starter and Bradshaw remaining the #2 guy. If your saying that Bradshaw will become the new Tiki thats fine, but I don't see it happening.

In a draft we are conducting at this time, here is how it went so far

1. McFadden

2. Stewart

3. Mendenhall

4. Forte

5. K. Smith

6. Felix Jones

7. Chris Johnson

8. Ahmad Bradshaw

9. Devin Thomas

10. Ray Rice

11. Torain

12. Flacco

13. J. Charles

14. Eddie Royal

15. Sweed

If you were WATCHING those games, rather than merely looking at the stat line, you would have observed an explosiveness that Jacobs just does not have. Bradshaw ran with more leg drive, more determination, and more elusiveness. He also can catch the ball out of the backfield; by comparison, Jacobs has flat rocks for hands.

I SAW a back who has special skills, regardless of the stat line (I don't remember the exact YPC comparisons, but I know that Bradshaw's YPCs were higher than Jacobs; at any rate, 60 rushing yards per game on limited touches is pretty good).

Contrary to what some are suggesting here, Bradshaw has siginficant value REGARDLESS of whether you own Jacobs (or Ward), especially in a PPR league.

Joker's league draft in the post above is pretty indicative of what you might expect. Personally I have him as 1.7 on my list right now for rookie and supplemental drafts where he is available. And I agree completely that any 12 team league where he slips to 2.1 is a weak league that buys into too much rookie hype.

Moonpies:

Most FF owners tend to significantly overvalue rookies compared to veterans. Bradshaw showed signs last year that he can be a 'special' RB......he got it done.

I do agree that people overvalue rookies compared to Vets, but I really don't think Bradshaw has earned the VETERAN tag just yet... :thumbsdown:

IF Bradshaw is still available in your dynasty league (and in most dynasty leagues he is long gone), it is because his opportunity, and his production, came late in the season and in the play-offs. So at the point that you consider him 'veteran' enough, he will be on somebody else's team. The idea of winning dynasty is to identify and pick up talent BEFORE it is apparent to your competing owners. For example if you need, say, 200 NFL carries to identify RB talent, you will always be missing out on late round late 'bloomers' (Some examples of late round 'bloomers' are Westbrook, Gore and MJD).

When you SEE that a RB does have the real skills to suceed in the NFL, forget about where they were drafted and everything else except what your eyes tell you. It is also a fact that when drafting RBs for dynasty, talent usually trumps situation.

The problem evaluating rookies, even with the talent of a McFadden, is that not even the best scouts can envision with 100% accuracy whether a rookie's skills will translate to the next level, without ever seeing them play at that level.

Only 2 out of 3 1st round RBs become consistent producers in the NFL.

Less than 1 in 3 second round RBs become consistently productive.

And beyond the second round, it's a real crap-shoot, but as mentioned above, very often there will emerge some real gems.

Five RBs went in the 1st round this year versus an average year of about 3. Three of them will probably be productive for fantasy purposes, and most likely two or three of them will be 'studs'. Forte and Rice were second round and Smith went 3rd round. Probably only ONE of them will be significantly productive, if history is any indicator. IMO most Dynasty owners don't know (or ignore these statistics, and fall in love with the rookies.

IF Bradshaw is still available in your dynasty league (and in most dynasty leagues he is long gone), it is because his opportunity, and his production, came late in the season and in the play-offs. So at the point that you consider him 'veteran' enough, he will be on somebody else's team. The idea of winning dynasty is to identify and pick up talent BEFORE it is apparent to your competing owners. For example if you need, say, 200 NFL carries to identify RB talent, you will always be missing out on late round late 'bloomers' (Some examples of late round 'bloomers' are Westbrook, Gore and MJD).

When you SEE that a RB does have the real skills to suceed in the NFL, forget about where they were drafted and everything else except what your eyes tell you. It is also a fact that when drafting RBs for dynasty, talent usually trumps situation.

The problem evaluating rookies, even with the talent of a McFadden, is that not even the best scouts can envision with 100% accuracy whether a rookie's skills will translate to the next level, without ever seeing them play at that level.

From the 2007 Rookie Scouting Portfolio: "Bradshaw has the best vision of any back in this draft and runs with a sound combination of power and elusiveness. A sleeper."

On the few ocassions I was able to catch a Giants game, and he played, I saw exactly that. Glad I drafted him, and glad I held onto him. If he stays healthy, he'll be something special, and he's far more likely than Jacobs to stay healthy.

Moonpies:

1. You have Torrian WAY to too high..............especially in Denver.

2. It is horrible advice to suggest that Bradshaw might drop to 1.12. Where he is available in rookie drafts he will go after the Big Three (although Mendenhall could drop because of his situation. On my personal board, I also have Chris Johnson ahead of him (PPR league). I will be watching the pre-season situations in Chicago and Detroit VERY closely because there are strong differences of opinion among experts about the impact that Forte and Smith might have on those teams (we have a late rookie draft). Only in drafts with extremely weak owners will he last til 1.12 or later.

I DEFINITELY have him ahead of Ray Rice and Felix Jones. Most FF owners tend to significantly overvalue rookies compared to veterans. Bradshaw showed signs last year that he can be a 'special' RB......he got it done. He is kind of a cross between MJD and Ray Rice. (I would value Ray Rice much higher if he had landed in Chicago than I value Matt Forte), but Rice went to a terrible short term situation behind McGahee). I wouldn't be suprised if Bradshaw gets as many or more touches as Jacobs this year; the difference is that he proved last year that he can do something with them.

Solid posting here.

Bradshaw will never be the 1a back as long as Jacobs is upright, and probably not even when Jacobs goes down. I just don't think the Giants view him as a mail carrier. More like a homerun hitter to put in here and there. You have to then value him as such.

If Forte or Ksmith wins the job outright this summer, they 100% become more valuable than Bradshaw.

If you watched the Giants playoff run you would have noticed that in many of the second halves of games the Giants were winning Bradshaw was the back out there gaining valuable yards and killing clock. I think you are quite wrong with your thoughts on what the Giants think about Bradshaw. He is very powerful for a smaller back. In the Superbowl he carried a D lineman 5 yards on his back. He's not just a "speed" HR hitter. He is the most complete back on their roster and II think its 50/50 with he and Jacobs and Ward as insurance if one of them go down.

You are clearly a Jacobs owner. I would defend him too if that were the case. 265lbs - is not going to hold up.

You are clearly a Jacobs owner. I would defend him too if that were the case. 265lbs - is not going to hold up.

There was an article a few years ago about the size of today's offensive and defensive lineman affecting the size of the backs carrying the ball. The premise was that it was very hard for a large back to squeeze through a line loaded with five 300 pounders on offense and three or four 300 pounders on defense, all in a limited space. The argument was that a big back like Jim Brown had much smaller players up front, which translated into more room and gave him an advantage because of his physicality. I think there is something to that idea when I see physically smaller backs not only perform better but hold up better because they are more physically suited to fit through the tight spaces and also have better change of direction/cutting capabilities. They also have the advantage of "hiding" behind their offensive linemen on motion plays which not only makes them hard to find, but harder to catch, where a back that's 6'4" like Jacobs is really easy to spot.

Tomlinson 5'10" - 220

Westbrook 5'10 - 203

Peterson 6'1" - 217*

Addai 5'11" - 214

JLewis 5'11" - 245*

Portis 5'11" - 223

Barber 6' 0" - 221

Graham 5'9" - 225

McGahee 6'0" - 232*

EJames 6'0" - 220

Parker 5'10" - 209

Lynch 5'11" - 215

Jones-Drew 5'7" - 208

Gore 5'9" - 223

SJackson 6'2" - 231*

There's last year's top 15 runners in most standard scoring leagues...interesting to note that there are only 4 out of them that are either over 6 ft tall or over 225 lbs and only two that are both.

this year is the 2nd year of the league i will run and we are making it a 2-keeper league. with the rules of the keeper facet to be decided.

i was wondering where you think in such a league it is wise to target bradshaw, in what round - this is a 12 team league. i dont want my giants fanhood to cloud my ff judgement.

In my 20 team dynasty league I made 1 move the final weekend while winning the championship...

-aaron stecker(4tds week 15 and 16 :dunno: ) thanks but get lost

+ahmad bradshaw :music_guitarred:

Ok....so in my 12 team dynasty league we have both Grant(GB) and Bradshaw(NYG) available. I sit at the 1.04 pick. What are your player rankings now?

Ok....so in my 12 team dynasty league we have both Grant(GB) and Bradshaw(NYG) available. I sit at the 1.04 pick. What are your player rankings now?

Oh man, Grant moves to the top...easily makes a case for the top 4, and bradshaw comes in just behind him.

HOW can Grant not be rostered???? Grant is rostered in both of my Keep 8 keeper leagues, and for that matter would likely be rostered in Keep 3 keepers.

But, OK, here's my ratings:

1.01 Grant

1.02, 1.03 1.04 McFadden Mendenhall Stewart (any order)

1.05 Chris Johnson

1.06 1.07 1.08 Bradshaw, Forte, K.Smith (I withhold the order because I don't have to draft until mid-August, but I would assume that one of these rookies would not be a starter. If both rooks look like RBBC situations, Bradshaw moves up to 1.06)

1.09 1.10 Ray Rice, F. Jones

In other words, at 1.04 you grab one of the big 3 rooks, because Grant probably aint gonna drop to you (unless of course, somebody like S Jackson or F Gore is also available in your dynasty league).

Oh man, Grant moves to the top...easily makes a case for the top 4, and bradshaw comes in just behind him.

This is a Dynasty league and any player who wasn't drafted is available the next year. All free agent pickups are lost. In our league Grant was picked up as a free agent and so he had to be cut at end of season.

rookie draft started today

1.01 - d.mcfadden (owner always goes for flashy)

1.02 - j.stewart

1.03 - r.mendenhall (owner is stacked at rb / luxury pick)

1.04 - m.forte

1.05 - k.smith (me :doublethumbsup: )

1.06 - c.johnson

1.07 - r.rice

1.08 - f.jones

1.09 - j.hardy (stacked at rb, bills homer)

1.10 - ricky williams (vet avail)

1.11 - s.slaton

1.12 - a.bradshaw (me :thumbsdown: )

thanks to ahmad for being quiet this preseason

now have jacobs/a.bradshaw combo, kevin smith among others