Sign in to follow this  
broussard

Basketball's Greatest Spinoff

Assuming they are in their prime...25-30, who would you draft to build your team around?

Wilt, kobe, MJ, Hakeem, Bird, Magic, Kareem, O, etc? Who do you take and why?

Wow---I was thinking about this a little while ago---keep going back and forth with the MJ's. Both elevated the game of their teammates. While Jordan could absolutely take over games, how can you pass up a 6'10'' point guard. I'll pick 2nd and take whoever's left over.

scuse me for skipping the other thread but Wilt did stuff that nobody has come close to repeating.

Even with the amazing dunks we have nowadays, these guys still couldn't dunk their free throws as routine.

They made rules to make it harder for him, they made rules to make it easier for MJ.(touch fouls, no hand checking)

and before you say 'he only played against 6' white guys' you should check the HOF first.

scuse me for skipping the other thread but Wilt did stuff that nobody has come close to repeating.

Even with the amazing dunks we have nowadays, these guys still couldn't dunk their free throws as routine.

They made rules to make it harder for him, they made rules to make it easier for MJ.(touch fouls, no hand checking)

and before you say 'he only played against 6' white guys' you should check the HOF first.

Wilt was the most dominant player ever. The dude averaged 50 points and 50 Rebounds for a season. Before anyone states that he was just tall and could dominate the shorter players, keep in mind that he high-jumped 6-10 at Kansas. He was an incredible athlete who could dominate in any area.

Wilt was the most dominant player ever. The dude averaged 50 points and 50 Rebounds for a season. Before anyone states that he was just tall and could dominate the shorter players, keep in mind that he high-jumped 6-10 at Kansas. He was an incredible athlete who could dominate in any area.

he had 50 rebounds in some games, but he only averaged 25 or 26. don't get me wrong, that's awesome as hell, it's just not 50. in 1967 he led the lead the league in assists.

oh, and he was a hella volley ball player.

50pt 27reb and prolly a dozen blocks if they kept that stat at the time.

besides being a record high jumper he was also a record triple jumper. When they put the circle around the top of the key

to keep him from dunking free throws, he was still able to take a couple quick steps and do it, so they had to put in the rule

about 'breaking the line' when shooting. Can you imagine that? Just taking a couple steps and getting to the rim from the FT

line! crazy. The best jumpers nowadays need a freaking full court run and most the time they step on the damn line.

he had 50 rebounds in some games, but he only averaged 25 or 26. don't get me wrong, that's awesome as hell, it's just not 50. in 1967 he led the lead the league in assists.

oh, and he was a hella volley ball player.

Your right, my bad. I meant he had 57 rebounds in one game and averaged 27 for a season..

I got ahead of myself.

People talk about how Russell was better because of the Championships but Russell was also surrounded by Bob Cousey, Tommy Heinson, John Havlicheck, Sam Jones, Casey Jones, etc.. Wilt had Hal Greer and not much else in Philly.

If you put Wilt on the Celtics and Russell on Philly's team Wilt would have all of the Championships and Russell would have won zero...

My opinion but I believe it.

Your right, my bad. I meant he had 57 rebounds in one game and averaged 27 for a season..

I got ahead of myself.

People talk about how Russell was better because of the Championships but Russell was also surrounded by Bob Cousey, Tommy Heinson, John Havlicheck, Sam Jones, Casey Jones, etc.. Wilt had Hal Greer and not much else in Philly.

If you put Wilt on the Celtics and Russell on Philly's team Wilt would have all of the Championships and Russell would have won zero...

My opinion but I believe it.

that and also the Celtics were the 1st team to really train/practice/condition while everyone else in the league was out working some offseason job. Auerbach had them ahead of everyone else.

Gotta go with Wilt.

He's a center. That's who you build around, even if I think Jordan was a better player.

In most cases i would take a big center to start my team but Jordan is the one exception. He was just too good. He drove his team to the best record in history with nobody at center and not even a true point guard. Pippen was a very good player but the rest of that team was mediocre at best.

Magic and Bird would be fine choices as well. they elevated the play of their temmates but they had some very talented teammates.

In most cases i would take a big center to start my team but Jordan is the one exception. He was just too good. He drove his team to the best record in history with nobody at center and not even a true point guard. Pippen was a very good player but the rest of that team was mediocre at best.

Magic and Bird would be fine choices as well. they elevated the play of their temmates but they had some very talented teammates.

Great Story. Bob Knight talks about how he was approached by his friend from the Portland Trailblazers before the 1984 draft. The Portland dude was talking about taking Sam Bowie with the 2nd pick. Knight told him that he should take Jordan instead. The Dude from Portland, whose name I forget but I believe it was Stu Inman, stated that they needed a Center. Knight responded with: Play Jordan at Center. No one will be able to guard him".

Portland took Bowie. Chicago won 6 championships.

Shawn Bradley

Chief from One Flew over the cuckoos nest, Randall P. McMurphy turned that dude into a low post monster